One backup for hackintosh AND macbook ? (Carbon Copy)

foodfightr

4 posts in this topic

Machine 1: Hackintosh 10.5.4 Leopard (Retail Disc, Vanilla Kernel, EFI)

Machine 2: MacBook Pro 10.5.4 Leopard

I use carbon copy cloner to back up my hard drive to a disc image. The resulting disc image has exactly the programs I use, my favorite settings, preferences, licenses, etc already pre-configured. For this reason I'd like to use the same image on both computers.

The only way I can think of that would work would be to create and maintain the image on the MacBook Pro. Then when I needed to update the Hackintosh I could restore the image and start off on step 4 of 10.5.x GUIDE v4.2 FOR THE ADVANCED USER. What do you think?

Is it possible to do things the other way around... restore a hackintosh image to the MacBook Pro?

I'd suggest cloning only /Users and /Applications. That will get 99% of it. As for the rest, it'd not very safe. If your hack is close enough to a real mac, and is running everything vanilla it might work, but the limited approach is probably better.

Machine 1: Hackintosh 10.5.4 Leopard (Retail Disc, Vanilla Kernel, EFI)

Machine 2: MacBook Pro 10.5.4 Leopard

I use carbon copy cloner to back up my hard drive to a disc image. The resulting disc image has exactly the programs I use, my favorite settings, preferences, licenses, etc already pre-configured. For this reason I'd like to use the same image on both computers.

The only way I can think of that would work would be to create and maintain the image on the MacBook Pro. Then when I needed to update the Hackintosh I could restore the image and start off on step 4 of 10.5.x GUIDE v4.2 FOR THE ADVANCED USER. What do you think?

Makes sense I would suggest using a bootable USB drive in between so you can install/replace with your changed .kext then install the boot loader to it. Once done you can boot with the external to confirm your changes have worked then clone the system to its hard drive and install the boot loader again.

Is it possible to do things the other way around... restore a hackintosh image to the MacBook Pro?

Can't see why not although you will want to have the original Apple .kext's handy you replaced/deleted/modified so those can be put back on the system.

BTW you posted in the wrong sub forum you may want to ask a mod to move the thread.