Installing Kalaway 10.5.2 with VMWare 6.5 Beta 2

9 posts in this topic

So, tonight I've spent about 5 hours trying to get this sucker to install with not much luck until FINALLY. It decided to go!

Things you will need:

• .iso format Kalaway 10.5.2 on your Harddrive
  • VMWare 6.5 Beta 2
  • Coffee

Step 1 - Setting Up the Virtual Machine

1. In VMWare Home Screen click "New Virtual Machine"
  2. Check "Typical"
  3. Click Next
  4. Check "Installer disc image file (iso):" and select your Kalaway 10.5.2 .iso
  5. Click Next
  6. Check "Other" and in Version Select "Other" ( DO NOT USE 64 bit )
  7. Click Next
  8. Give it a name and place to save itself
  9. Click Next
  10. Give it at least 6gb. I'd recommend 30gb+. The disk is "expanding" so it can only take up to that amount if it gets that full. It will not occupy 30gb from the start.
  11. UNCHECK "Power on this virtual machine after creation"
  12. Click Finish
  13. Double Click on "Network Adapter" and Select "Host-only: A private network shared with the host"
  14. Click Ok
  15. Set memory to desired amount if wanted
  16. Click "Power on this virtual machine"
  17. We need to get into the VM bios before we let the installer run click inside the window and press F2 after. You may need to spam these to get into it
  18. In Bios turn off the Floppy Drive
  19. Save and Exit Bios
  20. If Darwin prompts you use -v for verbouse
  21. Let log messages run. If you start to get errors you may need to use one or more of the tweaks after this tutorial
  22. From this point forward follow any other installation guide about using Disk Utility to create HFS Journaled Partition and complete install

Tweaks ( You may or may not need to use one or more of the following ) :

• Adjust VM type to Other -> FreeBSD
  • In the VM Double Click on "Processors" and set the Preferred mode to one of the last two options. This fixed my errors when Darwin booter was trying to write to root filesystem

I'll try to update this if people have problems and say they have a solution. For now this is just kinda a how-to semi guide.

Going to try this later tonight, using Kalyway 10.5.2 and VM Workstation 6.5 beta. Will post back with results.

Update:

Well I was pretty unsuccessful last night. Furthest I was able to get was to the install screen (well kinda), all I could see was the purple(default OSX) wallpaper, and my cursor was spinning like it was trying to load something. Except it went on for like 30-40 mins, only took 5 mins on that screen when I tried to install 10.4.8. It never let the install screen load (choose disk screen).

Not sure what to do here, just going to try again.

Using Kalyway 10.5.2 AMD Intel DVD

installing on: AMD Turionx2 1.8 GHz, 2 Gb ram, GeForce 6600go(integrated) on my laptop hp dv2000

Native OS: Vista Home Ed. 32-bit

VMware Workstation 6.5 Beta (downloaded 2 days ago so I guess latest version of the beta?)

Tried it again, but I keep getting stuck at this: matching service count = 0

Before that it is trying to create a log file inside the .iso image itself and gets an error: filesystem is read-only or something along those lines.

I can't use -v because it doesn't give me a darwin prompt when I select install Mac OS X from CD.

If I try to mount the Kalyway iso in daemon tools I get a EBIOS read ERROR : Device Timeout sector 64

From what I read it means that my OS is having a hard time reading the disk, or its in a different format.

I just installed 10.4.8 JAS iso AMD Intel SSE2 & SSE3 w/ PPF1 & PPF2 (mounted the .iso in VMware)

Went perfectly, internet started working as soon as I set it to bridged and restarted.

I really just need a 10.5.2+ version of OSX so I can run the iPhone SDK, if anyone has any solutions please let me know.

I was thinking about getting an image file and just restoring my drive with it using Disk Utility. Will that work?

Thanks

I got mine to work by changing/adding  the following 2 lines

paevm="true"

guestOS = "darwin

Installed well but need dvd in to boot hard drive 

Have since changed guestOS back to FreeBSD and still working (except for DVD problem)

After further messing about paevm="true" is not necessary, but guestOS = "darwin" is,

and it will not install if have guestOS = "freeBSD", but can change to freeBSD after install

This is my error:

Matching service count = 0

localhost kextd[47]: root filesystem is read-only; skipping kernel link data generation

if I set guestOS = "darwin" and paevm = "true"

i get this error:

localhost reportcrash[55]: mkdir() failed to create /library/logs with error: read-only file system

any suggestions?

This is my error:

localhost kextd[47]: root filesystem is read-only; skipping kernel link data generation

if I set guestOS = "darwin" and paevm = "true"

i get this error:

localhost reportcrash[55]: mkdir() failed to create /library/logs with error: read-only file system

any suggestions?

'Well the successful system I set up using vmware was at work on a core 2 duo processor running xp host. However, using the same options on my dual core e2140 running ubuntu64 host has failed, where if I put guestos="darwin", vmware says it can not run it and closes the virtual machine. Have had both of the things you mention (one above and the other on the different topic regarding vmware) occur on my home vmware attempts so all I can suggest, and it is only the bleeding obvious I'm afraid, is to keep fiddling around. That is what I am doing right now!!

Oh and you have to use the host dvd drive, not an iso. '

Yet to get it to work at home. Very frustrating!!

I burnt the ISO to a DVD, as VM Ware doesn't read the ISO well. If i restart my laptop with the disc in, it boots, but in vmware, i get the cannot copy to /library... blah blah error. If i leave it through the error, it works, and goes to a grey screen and loads the beachball. Once the leopard purple background came on, but froze, and mainly, i forget to check it, and run it in the background, and something weird comes up about a failed installation with a log of what happend.

Anyone else got this?