Did I purchase a Macbook Pro too soon?

eobet

6 posts in this topic

It seems that there are no graphic drivers, so you have to switch off hardware acceleration. Well, that kills the ability to watch movies and play games... quite a crippled XP installation right there. Then there's the performance... kinda like using Rosetta, I guess.

I read that the current implementation from blanka takes over the framebuffer in order to get VGA working. This sounds to me like (and this is a totally ignorant guess) a dead end, because graphic drivers also wants to take over the framebuffer for hardware acceleration.

Also, some seem to think that the firmware on the X1600 is different than "normal" PC X1600 cards, so that's why no drivers work. Why would ATI then want to release XP drivers for an Apple developed firmware (if that is indeed the case)?

I'm wondering if I jumped the gun on my purchase. But I guess nobody has the answer to that yet...

If you bought a macbook just to run xp, of course you jumped the gun. You bought it before there was a complete and stable solution. That wasn't a big secret :) Some people don't mind being on the leading edge of adoption, even tho its usually rough waters for a while. Others do mind. Only you know which one you are.

The way the contest was formulated made it sound like a complete and stable solution was required. $13,000 ought to buy you a complete and stable solution...

(And I bet that some people will get offended by me writing that.)

Not really. The rules of the contest say that the solution must allow WinXp to boot up, and to co exist happily with OsX. >>Windows<< Does Boot up, and runs well.

Lack of drivers to hardware accelerate most things is another problem. One that I'm sure will be solved eventually. But its not gonna be an instant process.

NOPE

Running xp on a mac is an achievement in it self, so $13,000 well spent..

No the drivers arent all there yet... but after following the topic closely(have to pry me away from the screen) I can see the devlopment is extremely fast....

We just got Xp to booting and since then we've gotten

Bluetooth

Chipset

Ethernet

wireless

mouse

sound

Keyboard

Drivers working.

Someone will have to hack the X1600 drivers (No doubt they HAVE TO HACK it)

But think about it, maybe in a month or so all necessary drivers could be working:D

It seems that there are no graphic drivers, so you have to switch off hardware acceleration. Well, that kills the ability to watch movies and play games... quite a crippled XP installation right there. Then there's the performance... kinda like using Rosetta, I guess.

I read that the current implementation from blanka takes over the framebuffer in order to get VGA working. This sounds to me like (and this is a totally ignorant guess) a dead end, because graphic drivers also wants to take over the framebuffer for hardware acceleration.

Also, some seem to think that the firmware on the X1600 is different than "normal" PC X1600 cards, so that's why no drivers work. Why would ATI then want to release XP drivers for an Apple developed firmware (if that is indeed the case)?

I'm wondering if I jumped the gun on my purchase. But I guess nobody has the answer to that yet...

XP on MBP using Narf's implementation is extremely fast...all installed program have run extremely well and very fast as long as they are not video games because of the x1600 issue. The performance in word or powerpoint or any other application for instance Canvas X blows rosetta out of the water and this is even on a 2.16 ghz with 2gb or ram.

NO doubt the video is a big issue but if you plan to use your mbp for anything other than games the current implementation is already there with the drivers on the wiki. It is incovenient because of the lack of power features such as hibernation or stand by so you have to shut the computer down completely. But please do not complain about its performance, it is as fast if not faster than any pc laptop core duo available out there barring the video issue.