DVD Drive not reading DVD movies?

Nevadabob

5 posts in this topic

Hi, my build is as below in my signature. I'm using a Pioneer DVR-109 dvd drive. I'm dual booting it works and reads everything properly under Windows XP. In OS X however, it's a different story...

The drive is recognized properly under system profiler. It mounts DVDs and can read from data DVDs. However whenever I insert a DVD movie, DVD player, vlc and mac the ripper all can't read the disc.

If I look at the contents of the disc under the finder there is nothing there, as if it were an empty disc, although it does show the capacity of the disc.

I then cannot eject the drive until the next reboot.

Can anyone suggest the reason?

Is it to do with my chipset kexts? I'm not aware of any dvd drive specific kexts so I thought it must be to do with the chipset.

Thanks for any help!

Hi, my build is as below in my signature. I'm using a Pioneer DVR-109 dvd drive. I'm dual booting it works and reads everything properly under Windows XP. In OS X however, it's a different story...

The drive is recognized properly under system profiler. It mounts DVDs and can read from data DVDs. However whenever I insert a DVD movie, DVD player, vlc and mac the ripper all can't read the disc.

If I look at the contents of the disc under the finder there is nothing there, as if it were an empty disc, although it does show the capacity of the disc.

I then cannot eject the drive until the next reboot.

Can anyone suggest the reason?

Is it to do with my chipset kexts? I'm not aware of any dvd drive specific kexts so I thought it must be to do with the chipset.

Thanks for any help!

I kinda have the same problem..

I suppose your DVD is PATA? Jmicron chipset? I think I read there's a patch somewhere.. otherwise you need a SATA DVD drive.

• 6 months later...

I have the same problem and have been searching the forums, but haven't found any fix.

Mine is a PATA DVD drive, reads data discs just fine, but not DVD movie. I also tried another PATA drive I have around, same problem.

Just a guess but could it be related to UDF file format used in DVD video?

Check in Disk Utility what it says in the bottom when you select the drive and volume.

Also you can try burning an UDF only disc on DVDRW in windows (by default Nero and other software I think it would burn it in ISO/UDF Bridge format so you need to change settings) and see if its read correctly on OS X.

Alternatively make an iso image of a dvd video disc in windows using ImgBurn or similar and try if that iso image gets mounted correctly in OSX, that way you would find out if is the hardware or the disc format.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bump this a little,

I'm having a very similar issue. My drive will read all media except DVD-Video, infact the computer still reads it as I can play these movies flawlessly in VLC and i can even mount them if I do this:

/sbin/mount_cd9660 -o rdonly /dev/disk1 /Volumes/DVD

but it won't mount if i do this:

/sbin/mount_udf -o rdonly /dev/disk1 /Volumes/DVD

the issue is even if i get it to mount using the cd9660 format, DVD Player says the media is unrecognizable, how ever VLC still plays it...

i can't figure it out at all.

Edit: here are the specs of my DVD-combo drive:

Specification

General

Manufacturer Philips

Model Number CDD5263

Interface IDE/ATAPI

Data Buffer Memory

2 MB

Read Function

Applicable Format DVD-ROM/Video 5, 9, 10, 18

DVD-R 3.95/4.7G

DVD+R 4.7G

DVD-RW: 4.7G

CD-ROM Mode-1

CD-ROM XA

CD-Audio

Mixed Mode CD-ROM (Audio and Data Combined)

Photo-CD (Single and Multi-session)

CD-I, Video CD

CD-Plus / CD-Extra, CD-Text

Super Video CD

CD-R disc (Conforming to Orange Book Part2)

CD-RW disc (Conforming to Orange Book Part3)

Write Function

Applicable Format CD-ROM Mode-1

CD-ROM XA

CD-Audio

Mixed Mode (Audio and Data Combined)

Video CD

CD-Extra, CD-Text

Write Method

Method Disc at once (DAO)

Session at once (SAO)

Multi-session

Track at once (TAO)