Another evening gone with another failure

agiveon

12 posts in this topic

I have a Dell workstation... pretty powerful, but runs on Windows... and after buying my MacBook Pro... I cannot stand Windows anymore... so I want to install OSX on it...

I have spend many evenings now... mainly downloading various (big) files... burning them and trying to follow different tutorials ... they all sound as if it should run smoothly and it never does...

Is there ANYONE here that is willing to help a noobie that just wants to run OSX...

Tell me step by step what information do you need and I will provide it and do as you say... I am attaching the output of CPU-Z for my computer:

cpuz.htm

I did.

I tried the TOH ox86 "method" and the one with the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD... the TOH one is not bootable and the Kalyway does "something" (some lines are written on the screen) ... then reboots... so nothing happens... just goes in that loop..

Man that's a pretty old machine. According to your cpuz it doesn't even support SSE3. So..... I mean you can most likely install OSX with right install disc, but it's really going to be a pain in the butt. You could try the Kalyway 10.5.1 install disc and see if that works. I think your hardware is too old.

Chevy

I never got to the part where I can customize it... it would show some lines on the screen... then reboot... and over and over again... (using the Kalyway 10.5.2)

Do any of you have a preferred configuration? maybe I will just take what i can out of the two computes I have and build a new one (with some new hardware)...

Well the Gigibyte mobos are one of the easiest to install OSX on. It's best to use Core2Duo cpus as well, but you can use dual core or P4 cpus will work. Nowadays most nVidia video cards are supported in newer install discs. Checkout my sig. I've been very happy with my setup.

Chevy

thank you!

I think will just copy your configuration then... does the MB support the quad core? would it be ok for the OSX?

why did you need a separate LAN card? (or is that what on the MB)

One more question, how do I choose the power supply for that MB?

With all this... what is the procedure to install the OSX?... just use the Kalyway 10.5.2 ?

Would you be so kind and look at the attached PDF file? ... its a configuration from NewEgg.. I changed some things (I need a stronger CPU and a stronger video card since I run a 30" Apple display)... would this configuration be simple to have OSX on?

NewEggCart.pdf

thank you!

I think will just copy your configuration then... does the MB support the quad core? would it be ok for the OSX?

why did you need a separate LAN card? (or is that what on the MB)

One more question, how do I choose the power supply for that MB?

With all this... what is the procedure to install the OSX?... just use the Kalyway 10.5.2 ?

1. It should support quad. And yes, it would work for osx86.

2. That lan he has is OFF board. (Hence "PCI")

3. Test and try different install disks and see what they do.

Good luck.

I guess I was editing my post while you were replying. Please note my attached configuration on PDF I added there)

Would the LAN on board still work?

by the way, any word on wireless configurations? Is there a Gigabyte MB that has wireless built into it? (and works with OSX)... or should I add a PCI card for that? (my desktop will be far from the router).

Yes it supports Quad Core and it will work fine for Leopard.

why did you need a separate LAN card?

In my case I had to buy a used lan card because the one on the MB wouldn't work for me. It's not the same with other users with the same MB. Many have been able to get it to work out of the box, for I wasn't. There are drivers avalible, but they didn't work for me. If it doesn't work for you just go get a used Realtek 8139 pci lan card and it will work fine.

how do I choose the power supply for that MB?

It depends on really how many devices you are putting in the case. Like if you are going to use..... say 3 hard drives and say 2 dvd drives you would need descent P\S. Newegg has a power supply calculator that has drop down menus. You just choose your cpu, vid card, memory..... etc and it will tell what wattage P\S you will need. It's HERE You don't have to buy from them if you don't want to.

what is the procedure to install the OSX?... just use the Kalyway 10.5.2 ?

In short yes. You can use any of the install dvd that are out. You might want to think about downloading the latest 10.5.4 install dvd, that way you won't have to go through updating from 10.5.2. Updating through software update most times will hose your system. You can still use software update for stuff like iTunes and stuff like that, but not to go form say 10.5.4 to 10.5.5. My suggestion is to get the 10.5.4 dvd. You can find it in the usual places.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

Chevy

Ok I just saw your list from newegg and I don't think that 9600 vid card is supported. You need to get one that is supported. I'm pretty sure all the Nvidia 8800's are supported now. Man that's pricey for ram. I bought 4gb for that price. Oops! Didn't see that it's 1066 ram. Checkout THIS site they have great prices.