GMA X3000 Working with QE/CI/OpenGL/Rotation

thestevo

70 posts in this topic

What I need from you first is a device ID for the integrated graphics. The vendor ID is 8086 since its Intel. You should be able to find the device ID by running lspci from OSx86 tools (without a second graphics card) or by using Linux. There are lots of different ways you can find it, including in Windows. If you're not sure how to find a device ID you can look it up on Google and there are more in-depth explanations.

When I get that, I can make a first set of kexts to test. Again, no promises and I don't have this chipset.

I'll send you an lspci from my P5E-VM HDMI very shortly - is there anything else you need? PM me any details. I've just built a brand new box using Kalyway 10.5.2, would be great to get these drivers working with the X3500.

... edit ... lspci is now in your PMs...

A new topic has been created to discuss the GMA X3500 with preliminary testing kexts attached. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=135360

I don't know whether it will work or what information I will need, and I would like to keep that discussion out of this thread so as not to confuse readers or unnecessarily lengthen the thread.

Again, if you are posting about X3100 (laptops) or X3500, please post elsewhere in appropriate threads.

hi thestevo...

i've tried it in my ASUS P5B-VM but I couldn't get it to work. I've tried AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin, AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle, AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle from 10.5.2 Loepard Graphics Update, from 10.5.3, from 10.5.4 and 10.5.5... ALL FAILED.

system specs:

ASUS P5B-VM with E2140, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD (SATA Enhanced Mode)

Retail Install: 10.5.0 to 10.5.5, Vanilla Kernel, Chameleon EFI

10.5.1 kexts

- boots to black screen; keyboard capslock can be turned ON/OF - not hang

10.5.2 kexts

10.5.3 kexts

10.5.4 kexts

10.5.5 kexts

- boots to blue screen; hang (keyboard doesn't respond)

can you also post the additional AppleIntelGMAX3100* packages from your working system?

thanks!

As far as I am aware, the plugins and bundles should never need to be modified and/or replaced.

My recommendation is this: Do a clean install, then update to 10.5.4, drop in the kexts and see what happens. If you get it working with 10.5.4, then you can look at updating to 10.5.5 knowing that acceleration is possible for your board. While the framebuffer will still be 10.5.2 pre-graphics update, you may need a new modified 10.5.5 X3100 kext before it will work in 10.5.5. When I was getting things to work, blue screen usually meant the framebuffer loaded but the X3100 kext didn't.

If for some reason you can't do a clean install I can make a 10.5.5 X3100, but in my opinion it would be safer to start with a clean install so as to not take any chances that you may have changed something that hasn't been 'reset'.

theStevo

hi theStevo,

As far as I am aware, i never replaced nor modified the other 3 AppleIntelGMAX3100* files/packages.

Here's what I did:

Installed a retail 10.5.1 system. Chameleon as EFI. It boots fine. Loads fine. I made a hard disk image of it. So that reinstallation if needed would be easier - just restore from an image.

Common steps

• Remove AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer, AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext from /System/Library/Extensions folder.
  • Install your packaged AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext, AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext to /System/Library/Extensions folder using Kext Helper b7.
  • To make sure, repair permissions

Per leopard version

• 10.5.1 - did "Common steps"
  • 10.5.2 - restored base system from ghost image, installed comboupdate 10.5.2, install LeopardGraphicsUpdate, did "Common steps"
  • 10.5.3 - restored base system from ghost image, installed comboupdate 10.5.3, did "Common steps"
  • 10.5.4 - restored base system from ghost image, installed comboupdate 10.5.4, did "common steps"
  • 10.5.5 - restored base system from ghost image, installed comboupdate 10.5.5, did "Common steps"

ok then, I was asking if you could post the other 3 AppleIntelGMAX3100* files that you are using, so I could test and hope that it'd work. but seems not.

thanks anyways. sorry for the confusion

Ok, sorry, I thought that you meant you tried the plugin and bundle files from each of those versions. I could post them, but I was just using the unmodified ones from 10.5.4.

Have you tried booting in verbose mode? Do you see anything relating to graphics errors?

Another thing you can try is to enable screen sharing in system preferences before you install the kexts and reboot (connected to a network) and then see if you can connect to the computer after it gets to the blue/black screen. If you have access that way, we can identify why its not bringing the monitor online as well as confirm hardware acceleration.

If none of that helps, try booting up, wait for a while after it stalls at blue/black screen, then turn off. Go into single user mode, remove X3100 and X3100FB, reboot, and examine the system log for any messages pertaining to two boots previous.

Obviously something is different in 10.5.5 for you. My guess is that it loads the framebuffer but doesn't like X3100 because its a version behind. However, if that's the case there is no reason why the other versions won't load the framebuffer and show a blue screen also. The difference between 10.5.4 and 10.5.5 probably contains the answer, somehow. If we can find an error message, or hopefully login remote, we can figure out which part it doesn't like. I'd focus mainly on 10.5.4 and 10.5.5 in testing this.

theStevo

hi theStevo, thanks for the suggestions.

just to clarify, the black screen in other versions were the screen where it stalled. for newly installed kexts, it's been a habit for me to boot in verbose mode. After long pile of system message/log, it switched to GUI - black, blue, then - black. that's what i meant.

the message was something like "... frame buffer exists."

i'll capture the exact message... and post it here.

thanks!

here's an excerpt from the systemlog in 10.5.5. can't do remote screen as the system is unresponsive. will try again in my 10.5.4 hard disk...

Nov 10 08:36:43 localhost kernel[0]: Jettisoning kernel linker.
Nov 10 08:36:43 localhost kernel[0]: Resetting IOCatalogue.
Nov 10 08:36:43 localhost kernel[0]: GFX0: family specific matching fails
Nov 10 08:36:43 localhost kernel[0]: Matching service count = 1
Nov 10 08:36:43 localhost kernel[0]: Matching service count = 2
Nov 10 08:36:43: --- last message repeated 4 times ---
Nov 10 08:36:44 localhost kernel[0]: GFX0: family specific matching fails
Nov 10 08:36:44: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Nov 10 08:36:44 localhost kernel[0]: dsmos: Initializing...
Nov 10 08:36:44 localhost kernel[0]: dsmos: Hook and decryption contexts set!
Nov 10 08:36:44 localhost kernel[0]: dsmos: Starting...
Nov 10 08:36:44 localhost kernel[0]: GFX0: family specific matching fails
Nov 10 08:36:44 localhost kernel[0]: fRegisters at 0x3dd87000
Nov 10 08:36:45 localhost kernel[0]: GFX0: match category IOFramebuffer exists
Nov 10 08:36:45 localhost rpc.statd[30]: statd.notify - no notifications needed
Nov 10 08:36:46 localhost bootlog[50]: BOOT_TIME: 1226277399 0
Nov 10 08:36:47 localhost socketfilterfw[52]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
Nov 10 08:36:47 localhost RFBRegisterMDNS[33]: _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35
Nov 10 08:36:47 localhost DirectoryService[46]: Launched version 5.5 (v514.23)
Nov 10 08:36:47 localhost fseventsd[41]: bumping event counter to: 0xc6d4 (current 0x0) from log file '000000000000b8c8'
Nov 10 08:36:47 localhost kernel[0]: AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address 00:0e:a6:f4:2f:1c
Nov 10 08:36:47 localhost /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[36]: Login Window Application Started

10.5.4 - Nov 10 09:02:31 localhost kernel[0]: Jettisoning kernel linker.
Nov 10 09:02:31 localhost kernel[0]: AppleRTL8169Ethernet: Ethernet address 00:0e:a6:f4:2f:1c
Nov 10 09:02:39 localhost /usr/sbin/ocspd[47]: starting
Nov 10 09:02:39 localhost mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-176.2 (Aug 15 2008 14:58:54)[22]: starting
Nov 10 09:02:40 localhost kernel[0]: Resetting IOCatalogue.
Nov 10 09:02:40 localhost kextd[10]: 0 cached, 401 uncached personalities to catalog
Nov 10 09:02:41 mymac configd[35]: setting hostname to "mymac.local"
Nov 10 09:02:42 mymac kernel[0]: GFX0: family specific matching fails
Nov 10 09:02:42 mymac kernel[0]: Matching service count = 1
Nov 10 09:02:42 mymac kernel[0]: Matching service count = 2
Nov 10 09:02:43 mymac kernel[0]: GFX0: family specific matching fails
Nov 10 09:02:43: --- last message repeated 2 times ---
Nov 10 09:02:43 mymac /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[23]: Login Window Application Started
Nov 10 09:02:43 mymac kernel[0]: fRegisters at 0x3de98000
Nov 10 09:02:43 mymac kernel[0]: dsmos: Initializing...
Nov 10 09:02:43 mymac kernel[0]: dsmos: Hook and decryption contexts set!
Nov 10 09:02:43 mymac kernel[0]: dsmos: Starting...
Nov 10 09:02:43 mymac kernel[0]: GFX0: match category IOFramebuffer exists
Nov 10 09:02:44 mymac loginwindow[23]: Login Window Started Security Agent

can log-in connect to screensharing. but it didn't give much info about "Graphics/Display" thru screensharing. I only got this:

post-182419-1226280487_thumb.png

Kext info:

post-182419-1226280513_thumb.png

post-182419-1226280526_thumb.png

hi theStevo,

i really appreciate your effort, thanks for that.

however, the last FB file you posted didn't help either. it makes my systems unresponsive... both 10.5.5 and 10.5.4.

i managed to get the right resolution (as well as the screen resolution in Display Preferences) in 10.5.5, using ONLY the FB file posted in your first post (the rest of AppleIntelGMAX3100* files are stock 10.5.5), but still my Core Image is software:

post-182419-1226332682_thumb.png

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext appeared loaded:

post-182419-1226332825_thumb.png

mmm... anything else?

btw, I've attached the stock AppleIntelGMAX3100 kexts. Just in case you find free time.

AppleIntelGMAX3100.zip

Thanks!

sorry for lame question but...

i have gma x3000

it works with ideneb leopard 10.5.5 and has 1024x768 by default

when installing your driver and deleting frame buffer system shows blue screen after boot

in logs there's a line GFX0 family specific mounting fails

but after booting in -x mode everything works perfectly (still without  Quartz Extreme support)

can you tell me what to do?

thanks

(sorry for my english)

upd: same situation as pnoytechie has... damn!

• 2 weeks later...

pnoytechie & ash0000 - Sorry guys. Not that I'm necessarily an "expert" at anything OSx86 related, but integrated graphics is an area where I haven't had much experience. I do know a few things though, and one of them is that BIOSes and other manufacture specific aspects can sometimes throw a wrench in things for IGPs. I don't have any brainstorms for you at this time, but I will keep thinking. Perhaps a new set of kexts in the future (maybe 10.5.6) with the same method applied could eliminate the problem. My only recommendation right now is to keep try different combinations and keep track of all the test configs in a detailed manner. PM me if you want to know how to make the kexts yourself. I've been looking for help on making a drag and drop patcher, but haven't found any yet. My encouragement to you is that we know the chipset works, and with more people and time we will eventually find the right combination for your problem. However, the only people that can fix this problem are the ones that have it. Unfortunately, I can't help with experimenting, only theory, because it works for me and I can't reproduce the problem.

theStevo

• 2 weeks later...

pnoytechie, ash0000, and others - Few things I wanted to mention:

For now I will not support 10.5.5. I've not got my machine working with 10.5.5, nor have I tried. I don't really have the time to experiment much this week, and whatever time I do is going toward a project that will make many many people happy (and yes, I actually got it running but it needs more work). 10.5.5 did some graphics updates that is screwing with the load process. Its most likely either a problem with the other X3100 kexts or the OpenGL framework, which need to be reverted to the 10.5.4 versions. One day we will know exactly which component screwed it up and needs to be reverted for future versions, but I don't know now. If somebody wants to try, that's great because we'll need that info. If not, I will get it when I have time.

Also, if you are testing on 10.5.4 and it stops at the blue screen, please post ALL graphics related BIOS configurations. I think I might know what this is about and it is fixable with a BIOS setting, if you have it. Some OEMs don't give options for it.

theStevo

Big thanks to Speedracer on the X3500 thread, he found what components need to be retrograded for 10.5.5 compatibility. I can't guarantee this will work, but the problems without the retrograde are the same and these chipsets are fairly similar. See below...

Looks like OpenGL was the culprit here. After 10.5.5 is installed, only the OpenGL framework and driver need to be copied back as well as your kext files. The new OpenGL is ver. 1.5.7.31.0.

Here are the files and versions I used.

These two are provided from Thestevo on the first post.

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

From 10.5.5

File ver 1.5.30: AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

File ver: 1.5.30: AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

From 10.5.4

File ver. 1.5.28: AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

File ver. 1.5.6.22.0: OpenGL.framework

• 3 weeks later...
hi thestevo...

i've tried it in my ASUS P5B-VM but I couldn't get it to work. I've tried AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin, AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle, AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle from 10.5.2 Loepard Graphics Update, from 10.5.3, from 10.5.4 and 10.5.5... ALL FAILED.

system specs:

ASUS P5B-VM with E2140, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD (SATA Enhanced Mode)

Retail Install: 10.5.0 to 10.5.5, Vanilla Kernel, Chameleon EFI

I have a P5B-VM, and got it to work (1600x1200). I am using iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5. I only installed the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext that thestevo posted. I removed the AppleIntelIntegrated*.kext, but not sure that made a difference. Hope that helps someone.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the opportunity to test 10.5.5, and I can confirm that it is as Speedracer said. Worked perfect, same benchmarks as before.

Thanks to BlackCH, you can get X3000 support right off the install with the upcoming XxX PPF(s)! An installation option has been included for a while, but the installation package was missing a critical file. All future releases should be good!

Throw_Away - You must have the modified AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext to get QE/CI to work. Currently you have the framebuffer working, which gives you monitor recognition and resolution change. While that is a step in the right direction, it is not really 'working'.

theStevo

Hi All,

In the past months I have been only reading this thread.

After reading thestevo's last post, I set hopes high and downloaded Leo 10.5.5 (aka XxX) and patched PPF1, PPF2 and PPF3. After installing, I had to struggle one day to get my PS/2 keyboard working. After that, I tried to make X3000 work. It is true that Leo has X3000 drivers built-in but they still don't work for me (Asus P5B-VM mobo).

My experience is very similar to what ash0000 described above. I can boot up in Safe Mode and resolutions are available but QE is flagged as not supported.

If I boot normally, it freezes at a blue screen and keyboard is unresponsive.

Visiting the X3500 thread, I saw that OpenGL can cause problem in 10.5.5 so I installed the 'OpenGL for 10.5.4' package from the Leo install DVD. But the problem persists.

Unfortunately, I'm not that OSX literate to check system.log, etc., but I'd appreciate any help to make QE supported.

Thanks and bye.

As I said in my last post, all current releases don't work out of box. All future ones will. The installation packages don't include AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle from 10.5.4. If you're installing from PPF3, all you need to do is drop that file in and you'll be fine.

Thanx theStevo for effort!

I use iDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5), Asus P5B-V and if I install both kexts from your zip I get blue screen just as everybody else.

Can you maybe make new Zip package (and post here) that contains all needed files?

It's work great! thanks! (asus p5b-vm):

-10.5.5 kalyway (combo update 10.5.2-.....-10.5.5): problem blue screen--> fix: delete file apple..gmax3100GL.kext, but not support QE, VLC error with video!

-10.5.2 orginalkalyway : it's work ,QE support ,VLC Work with video ,but error with thumbnai in dock(hang system)!

upto 10.5.3 kalywaycombo update --> it's works!

thanks!

I updated the first post to include download links for 10.5.4 Vanilla GLDriver.Bundle and OpenGL framework, which are both needed for 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 in addition to the original zip. So, that means, if you have 10.5.5 or .6 you need the zip file attached to the first post, and the OpenGL download, and the GLDriver.Bundle download.

Also, to those who have been deleting various GMAX3100 kexts in hopes of getting things working, allow me to spare you the suspense. All of the GMAX3100 kexts are needed. I know that there are instances where deleting a kext can be beneficial, but that only happens when a kext is loading for hardware it cannot properly support (either in part or whole). That is not the case here, all are vital and none screw other kexts up. Either it works or it doesn't. If you don't have all the GMAX3100 files there, it isn't working properly. Guaranteed. Just because the screen still pops up, your monitor is working, and you can change resolutions doesn't mean you have hardware acceleration. It only means you have a framebuffer working, which is better than nothing. Be that as it may, you don't have it fully working if you've deleted components. Please, do not unintentionally mislead others by comments stating that you do.

theStevo