Getting Leopard Working on Inspiron 1525

shootingrubber

16 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I recently spent nearly a week getting Leopard completely working on my Dell Inspiron 1525. The model I have is a newer model and it has the Intel Wi-Fi card, not the Dell 1395 Wi-Fi mini card. People have reported that they couldn't get the Intel Wi-Fi card working so I am here to tell you that it is possible.

First, I downloaded the Kalyway 10.5.2 Installation and burned it to a DVD. Then, I downloaded the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Update. After this, download some Inspiron 1525 Drivers from: http://rapidshare.com/files/131241991/Dell_1525_Mac.zip.html. I do not take credit for in any way, shape, or form take credit for developping or making these drivers. Additionally, download the Wi-Fi card driver from http://iwidarwin.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/...0.5/iwi2200.dmg. Lastly, download the sleep display application from http://www.aspecto-software.com/ccount/click.php?id=15.

Next, make sure you have everything backed up on your computer because we will be doing a clean install of Mac OS X 10.5.2. Insert the Kalyway Installation DVD and boot it up by clicking and holding F12 at the BIOS loading screen. This will give you some boot options. Select boot from the DVD drive. When you boot up from the DVD itself do not type in any commands, just let it boot up as it normally would. When you get past the Apple logo, click on Utilities and go to Disk Utility. In Disk Utility go to the erase tab and make sure Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and call it "Macintosh HD". Now click the erase button below all of the fields we just edited. After it's done formatting the drive, close Disk Utility and continue the installation.

Select the Macintosh HD hard drive and click next. Now instead of continuing the installation click "Customize". Choose the GMA X3100 driver and you can select as many sound and network drivers as you'd like just to be safe, but they most likely will not work. As they did for me... Next click install. This may take up to 45 minutes, but just be patient and let it install.

After it's done installing it will ask you to restart your computer or after 30 seconds it will restart itself. When you first boot up Leopard, the apple logo will pop up for about 15 seconds, then a brief blue screen, and then the screen will turn completely black. This looks like it hasn't installed properly, but when in reality, it has. Right when you get the black screen, unplug the power cord and set a timer for 11 minutes and 20 seconds. After the timer has finished timing then move the trackpad and the screen will light up. At this point you can plug in your power cord again.

Now enter in your account information when you first boot up Leopard and now you should be at your desktop in Leopard. You will notice that your wireless card doesn't work, nor does your sound card and neither does Photo Booth because Quartz Extreme is not supported.

Instead of having to wait 11 minutes and 20 seconds and start up you, essentially, will not have to wait any time at all and it will be like a normal boot up of a Mac. Save the "SleepDisplay" application in the system folder (Macintosh HD/System) just so it is not accidentally deleted. You will, however, have to authenticate it and type in your password. Now go to "System Preferences" and click on "Users". Now go to your username and click on "Login Items" and add SleepDisplay to the list. In addition check off the "Hide" box. Now when you restart all you will have to do is move your mouse and the screen will light up. In case this happens to not work, go to "Expose and Spaces", and set the lower left hot corner to sleep the display.

Run the package for the 10.5.3 Combo Update and install it. Restart your computer. Now you should have Mac OS X 10.5.3 installed and you will notice that Photo Booth now works.

Open the Dell 1525 Mac folder. Drag "1525_Codec" on top of "AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16". At this point you can restart your computer and you should have sound working.

Now you are going to have to run the Broadcom-Script in the "Dell 1525 Mac" folder. First rename the folder to just "Dell". Open up a terminal window and go to where it is located. I recommend putting it in the documents folder. Therefore, in terminal type:

"cd Documents(hit enter)

cd Dell(hit enter)

cd Broadcom-Script(hit enter)

sudo su-; chmod +x bcm43xx_enabler.sh ;./bcm43xx_enabler.sh(hit enter)"

minus the quotes. After this, simply just follow what it says in terminal...

Now run the Intel driver package and then restart your computer. Voila, now Wi-Fi should be working.

You can now install the updates from the Software Update application, minus Leopard 10.5.4 and AirPort Card Utility and this will get you all of the latest software versions.

You may happen to notice that when you sometimes boot up your Hackintosh, nothing seems to show up on the desktop. All you have to do is relaunch the finder application and everything will pop up.

You can also write an application to make it do this automatically for you on start-up. This is a very simple application. Click on spotlight and search for "Script Editor". In script editor type:

(activate Application "Finder"

tell Application "Finder"

quit

delay 2

activate Application "Finder"

end tell)

minus the brackets.

I have also attached this particular application to this thread just in case you'd prefer to download it.

Now save this application in the System folder as we did earlier with the SleepDisplay application. You may have to save it to your desktop first and then copy it into that particular folder. Go into "Login Items" and add this application to the list. Again, check the "Hide" box. Now when you first boot up your Hackintosh it will automatically relaunch the Finder application.

Let me know if this helps any of you out with your installation of Leopard.

Relaunching_Finder.app

Instead of having to install the whole sleep display thing wouldnt it be quicker to just boot up, a few sec after it goes blue screen hit the power button then s and wam your system will wake up from sleep with no ill effects.

Instead of having to install the whole sleep display thing wouldnt it be quicker to just boot up, a few sec after it goes blue screen hit the power button then s and wam your system will wake up from sleep with no ill effects.

Not really, when you boot up all you do is move the trackpad and the display lights up. Once you have it in your "Login Items" it will be fixed forever. You don't have to press the power button at all. I don't understand how the "SleepDisplay" application will cause ill effects...

Additionally, you'll also notice that the battery meter is not working. All you have to do is run this installer: http://osx86heb1.googlepages.com/PowerManagement10.5.3.zip and restart your computer. Now the battery meter will pop up in the menu bar when you restart.

After all these steps are completed your computer will function as a normal MacBook.

Below are some photos of the completed product...

I hope I helped you guys getting Leopard installed on your PC.

Screenshot.tiff

Screenshot_2.tiff

Screenshot_3.tiff

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I wasn't sure which laptop to get -but I saw this tutorial and noticed that my local best buy had this model and picked it up.

I've done a dry-run (just threw Kalyway on there, no configuration) and it was able to install onto an external USB hard drive. I've got no sound, no internet, no accellerated graphics (no suprise -since I didn't apply any tweeks). It boots and then goes light blue then all black as you described.

I'm downloading the files in your tutorial and I'll post my results after I re-install it.

Edit Sept 21 2008

Ok, today I got wireless and graphics working on my 1525. by taking these steps.

1)I selected the GMA3100 driver from the list of Intel Graphics drivers during my Kalyway install

2)I installed the sleep display fix from this post

3) I ran bcm43xx_enabler_0.5.sh from this post here. This gave me wifi.

3)I ran the graphics update from apple and that enabled quartz extreme on my video card.

I still haven't managed to get sound or my ethernet card to work, however.

also, if you dontwant to wait the 11 min 20 sec and have an external monitor somewhere, plug it in as soon as screen goes black, the external monitor will be activated and you can complete the setup there...

also, even though the sleep display app works, id suggest keeping a exposé hotspot for sleep display, that way, if for some reason, the sleep display.app isnt loaded properly, you can just typ in your password blindly, press enter and move your cursor to the hotspot :P

another thing i would higly suggest you do is use http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep/ if you are suing anything other than the speedstep kernel... coz well, after a few months of working a lot on the laptop, the bit of the screen right above the heat outlet (bottom left of the screen) will start to bend a little and the screw there will keep popping off...

oh and if anyone needs 2 finger scrolling for this laptop, i can send you my plist file :P

btw, does anyone know how to get the ethernet working?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi!,

The first post says that you can get an Inspiron 1525 WITH the Intel wireless adapter.

In the google code web, it says that this driver is limited to No WPA or WEP and only 11mbps.

Is this right?

Also, I installed iPC 10.5.6 and I got NO ethernet, but when I upgraded to 10.5.7, it showed up!

I just need to get WiFi and SD Card reader working!

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Hello Everyone,

I recently spent nearly a week getting Leopard completely working on my Dell Inspiron 1525. The model I have is a newer model and it has the Intel Wi-Fi card, not the Dell 1395 Wi-Fi mini card. People have reported that they couldn't get the Intel Wi-Fi card working so I am here to tell you that it is possible.

First, I downloaded the Kalyway 10.5.2 Installation and burned it to a DVD. Then, I downloaded the Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo Update. After this, download some Inspiron 1525 Drivers from: http://rapidshare.com/files/131241991/Dell_1525_Mac.zip.html. I do not take credit for in any way, shape, or form take credit for developping or making these drivers. Additionally, download the Wi-Fi card driver from http://iwidarwin.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/...0.5/iwi2200.dmg. Lastly, download the sleep display application from http://www.aspecto-software.com/ccount/click.php?id=15.

Next, make sure you have everything backed up on your computer because we will be doing a clean install of Mac OS X 10.5.2. Insert the Kalyway Installation DVD and boot it up by clicking and holding F12 at the BIOS loading screen. This will give you some boot options. Select boot from the DVD drive. When you boot up from the DVD itself do not type in any commands, just let it boot up as it normally would. When you get past the Apple logo, click on Utilities and go to Disk Utility. In Disk Utility go to the erase tab and make sure Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and call it "Macintosh HD". Now click the erase button below all of the fields we just edited. After it's done formatting the drive, close Disk Utility and continue the installation.

Select the Macintosh HD hard drive and click next. Now instead of continuing the installation click "Customize". Choose the GMA X3100 driver and you can select as many sound and network drivers as you'd like just to be safe, but they most likely will not work. As they did for me... Next click install. This may take up to 45 minutes, but just be patient and let it install.

After it's done installing it will ask you to restart your computer or after 30 seconds it will restart itself. When you first boot up Leopard, the apple logo will pop up for about 15 seconds, then a brief blue screen, and then the screen will turn completely black. This looks like it hasn't installed properly, but when in reality, it has. Right when you get the black screen, unplug the power cord and set a timer for 11 minutes and 20 seconds. After the timer has finished timing then move the trackpad and the screen will light up. At this point you can plug in your power cord again.

Now enter in your account information when you first boot up Leopard and now you should be at your desktop in Leopard. You will notice that your wireless card doesn't work, nor does your sound card and neither does Photo Booth because Quartz Extreme is not supported.

Instead of having to wait 11 minutes and 20 seconds and start up you, essentially, will not have to wait any time at all and it will be like a normal boot up of a Mac. Save the "SleepDisplay" application in the system folder (Macintosh HD/System) just so it is not accidentally deleted. You will, however, have to authenticate it and type in your password. Now go to "System Preferences" and click on "Users". Now go to your username and click on "Login Items" and add SleepDisplay to the list. In addition check off the "Hide" box. Now when you restart all you will have to do is move your mouse and the screen will light up. In case this happens to not work, go to "Expose and Spaces", and set the lower left hot corner to sleep the display.

Run the package for the 10.5.3 Combo Update and install it. Restart your computer. Now you should have Mac OS X 10.5.3 installed and you will notice that Photo Booth now works.

Open the Dell 1525 Mac folder. Drag "1525_Codec" on top of "AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16". At this point you can restart your computer and you should have sound working.

Now you are going to have to run the Broadcom-Script in the "Dell 1525 Mac" folder. First rename the folder to just "Dell". Open up a terminal window and go to where it is located. I recommend putting it in the documents folder. Therefore, in terminal type:

"cd Documents(hit enter)

cd Dell(hit enter)

cd Broadcom-Script(hit enter)

sudo su-; chmod +x bcm43xx_enabler.sh ;./bcm43xx_enabler.sh(hit enter)"

minus the quotes. After this, simply just follow what it says in terminal...

Now run the Intel driver package and then restart your computer. Voila, now Wi-Fi should be working.

You can now install the updates from the Software Update application, minus Leopard 10.5.4 and AirPort Card Utility and this will get you all of the latest software versions.

You may happen to notice that when you sometimes boot up your Hackintosh, nothing seems to show up on the desktop. All you have to do is relaunch the finder application and everything will pop up.

You can also write an application to make it do this automatically for you on start-up. This is a very simple application. Click on spotlight and search for "Script Editor". In script editor type:

(activate Application "Finder"

tell Application "Finder"

quit

delay 2

activate Application "Finder"

end tell)

minus the brackets.

I have also attached this particular application to this thread just in case you'd prefer to download it.

Now save this application in the System folder as we did earlier with the SleepDisplay application. You may have to save it to your desktop first and then copy it into that particular folder. Go into "Login Items" and add this application to the list. Again, check the "Hide" box. Now when you first boot up your Hackintosh it will automatically relaunch the Finder application.

Let me know if this helps any of you out with your installation of Leopard.

I did everything and my sound still isnt working. :thumbsup_anim:

• 5 months later...