Partitioning to MS-DOS without completely reformatting?

damnyooneek

7 posts in this topic

Is it possible to partition the current hd into two, one HFS+ and one MS-DOS without completely reformatting the original hd? does someone know of a program that would do that? i really want to install XP but formatting my hd is a huge hassle. i'm sure there are people out there that feel the same way.

Is it possible to partition the current hd into two, one HFS+ and one MS-DOS without completely reformatting the original hd? does someone know of a program that would do that? i really want to install XP but formatting my hd is a huge hassle. i'm sure there are people out there that feel the same way.

I believe acronis makes a program for OSX that can do that.

What I did was to get an external drive and create an image of my Hard Disk.

Completely repartition and then format as required.

Steps as follows

1. Boot from Install CD

2. Highlight your Hard Disk and then create image

3. Repartition drives.

4. Open a terminal window and type the following

asr -source /path/to/<image.dmg> -target /Volumes/<target harddrive> -erase -nocheck

It will take some time and will warn that the hard drive won't be bootable. Ignore the won't be bootable as it will be.

When all is finished then restart Mac and way hay you have moved your harddisk to a different partition.

You have to have an external hard drive otherwise the image will be deleted when you partition.