Intel X3100 EFI Strings

Hacktrix2006

187 posts in this topic

The only thing i can think of it bown the the video bios's as i am on 1436 you can find this information on the intel control panel or in the bios.

I did have the 1436 video bios, and had the bootup glitches. Then updated it to the 1471 vbios with no improvement. I'm guessing at this point that your specific hardware has some unique properties not shared with any of us others. Congrats on your working setup, but until we identify what the differences are, I don't think we can hope to duplicate your success. :(

On a side note, I can use external monitors in OSX without a problem. I sometimes connect my 22" LCD up to my laptop so I can play movies. Didn't know this was a big deal or hard to do. Maybe another sign that our hardware configurations are different?

I did have the 1436 video bios, and had the bootup glitches. Then updated it to the 1471 vbios with no improvement. I'm guessing at this point that your specific hardware has some unique properties not shared with any of us others. Congrats on your working setup, but until we identify what the differences are, I don't think we can hope to duplicate your success. :)

On a side note, I can use external monitors in OSX without a problem. I sometimes connect my 22" LCD up to my laptop so I can play movies. Didn't know this was a big deal or hard to do. Maybe another sign that our hardware configurations are different?

Well, it could be some motherboard conflict, or with any other hardware - I have a Extensa 5220, so I think the specs should be similar to yours.

I have no problem when I boot the laptop with the screen already plugged, but when I plug it after being booted and choose the Detect Screens option, the display gets cloned and then it gets scrambled.

Well, it could be some motherboard conflict, or with any other hardware - I have a Extensa 5220, so I think the specs should be similar to yours.

I have no problem when I boot the laptop with the screen already plugged, but when I plug it after being booted and choose the Detect Screens option, the display gets cloned and then it gets scrambled.

I can boot up, plug in the monitor, choose Detect Displays, then watch movies on it... unplug it, and redetect displays to remove it. No issues noticed here.

I'm not the only one with the scrambled screen upon bootup, so assume that's more a universal issue than something caused by my specific make/model.

I think it could be the way the BIOS is set. If you can find a BIOS setting about Battery LCD brightness as I started to get the garbled screen back and disabling the LCD Dimmer when it goes to battery mode in the BIOS sorted it!

As for iamzenitraM i used to get that but when i upgraded to 10.5.5 i just deleted AppleIntelIntergratedFrameBuffer.kext and i can now connect to my brothers 50" plasma and have fun playing Guildwars and CSS!!! No problems there!

I think it could be the way the BIOS is set. If you can find a BIOS setting about Battery LCD brightness as I started to get the garbled screen back and disabling the LCD Dimmer when it goes to battery mode in the BIOS sorted it!

As for iamzenitraM i used to get that but when i upgraded to 10.5.5 i just deleted AppleIntelIntergratedFrameBuffer.kext and i can now connect to my brothers 50" plasma and have fun playing Guildwars and CSS!!! No problems there!

Well, I just deleted AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and rebooted, haven't tried cloned display but it seems to work so far, no garbled screen on boot the few times I've powered the laptop on. Try doing this, CharredPC, it might be the solution.. or maybe not, but it is be worth trying.

P.S: CharredPC, your Acer has a ALC268, right? How did you get the autosensing audio to work? I can only switch manually between Headphones/Speakers..

Well, I just deleted AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and rebooted, haven't tried cloned display but it seems to work so far, no garbled screen on boot the few times I've powered the laptop on. Try doing this, CharredPC, it might be the solution.. or maybe not, but it is be worth trying.

P.S: CharredPC, your Acer has a ALC268, right? How did you get the autosensing audio to work? I can only switch manually between Headphones/Speakers..

I just deleted AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext and rebooted. It went to the scrambled screen. That actually seems worse than before, as after the laptop is warmed up / been running a while it usually doesn't happen. Hard crashed it, turned it back on, and this time got in ok. I'll leave it deleted for now just in case it makes some difference eventually, but I don't think that's the case.

My screen dim controls work great using the keyboard shortcuts, and nothing in the BIOS is set to dim my screen on battery power. So I don't think that applies here either. There is a max_backlight firmware error that comes up during boot, but I don't see how that would cause a garbled display.

Yes, my Acer uses the ALC268. I used the kext posted here to get autosensing. Seems to work great. You may still have to turn the mic volume down all the way to eliminate the headphone hiss, if you have it.

Still hoping we find a solution for this bootup problem. Taking ten minutes to keep booting, locking up, crashing, booting, locking up, crashing, booting, locking up, crashing... so I can finally use this great OS and check my email is silly :blink:

Hola Hacktrix,

I just wonder if you can help me with my graphic card.

I installed iAtkos 4i in my new ASUS P5E-VM HDMI, everything works fine, just can not have the diplay driver installed.

the Asus mother board include:The Intel® G35 Express Chipset boosts your gaming and multimedia experience with the integrated graphics engine Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3500.

and if I'm looking into system preference, this is what I have:Display:

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2982

Revision ID: 0x0003

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

As you can see, no kext, and can not change resolution no QE no CI

I'll appreciate any help.

Thanks

Hola Hacktrix,

I just wonder if you can help me with my graphic card.

I installed iAtkos 4i in my new ASUS P5E-VM HDMI, everything works fine, just can not have the diplay driver installed.

the Asus mother board include:The Intel® G35 Express Chipset boosts your gaming and multimedia experience with the integrated graphics engine Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3500.

and if I'm looking into system preference, this is what I have:Display:

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2982

Revision ID: 0x0003

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

As you can see, no kext, and can not change resolution no QE no CI

I'll appreciate any help.

Thanks

AS of yet there is no driver for the Intel X3500, i don't think there has been success even with just changing the ID's in the X3100 drivers which are dodge to say the least.

Charr I hope you manage to get it working. As for the bios settings well not all bioses are the same and that maybe where the problem is.

Thanks for your prompt answer.

I guess the faster way to fix it, is buying a graphic card.

Could you recommend me which is the model that works best?

Thanks again

Best bet is to get a Nvidia 8 series card as 9 series cards aren't fully working. Or you can get a ATI card you best bet is to check the forum to see which ones work and which ones don't.

As for showing you how to make a dump once i get home i'll make a Video on how to do dumps and EFI strings!

Hi hacktrix,

i'm trying agian with ideneb 10.5.5 .

But i'm now a bit confused since i've tried so many different method.....

I have started from a clean installation and removed all appleintelgma* kext + integratedframebuffer; i can boot in vesa mode .

Now, reading your howto, i haven't understand how to clean your x3100 dump leaving there only the information found in my IOREG.

Also i've now the edid data because i have updated my winzozz driver and with these i guess i could be more lucky!

Can you please explain me what should i do to get the correct efi string ?

You can find here my ioreg and edid data.

If i am not wrong, with a efi string in my boot.plist i have also to restore the original x3100 kext, modify the PCIclassMatch with my card id (20A2 rev 3); should i restore the integrated frame buffer too? and gma950 too?

I thank you in advance a lot for all your help !!!!

ioreg.zip

DiagnosticReport.txt

Right i'm going to test the new drivers apple have released 9F23 without EFI strings and modification if it works i'll let you all know!!

9F23 Drivers worked without no EFI strings for me i found the 9F23 drivers on this site so everyone give them a try my FPS in GW gained another 8FPS with these drivers!!!

Hi hacktrix,

i'm trying agian with ideneb 10.5.5 .

But i'm now a bit confused since i've tried so many different method.....

I have started from a clean installation and removed all appleintelgma* kext + integratedframebuffer; i can boot in vesa mode .

Now, reading your howto, i haven't understand how to clean your x3100 dump leaving there only the information found in my IOREG.

Also i've now the edid data because i have updated my winzozz driver and with these i guess i could be more lucky!

Can you please explain me what should i do to get the correct efi string ?

You can find here my ioreg and edid data.

If i am not wrong, with a efi string in my boot.plist i have also to restore the original x3100 kext, modify the PCIclassMatch with my card id (20A2 rev 3); should i restore the integrated frame buffer too? and gma950 too?

I thank you in advance a lot for all your help !!!!

Just the orignal kext for X3100 should do and framebuffer.

9F23 Drivers worked without no EFI strings for me i found the 9F23 drivers on this site so everyone give them a try my FPS in GW gained another 8FPS with these drivers!!!

Tried the drivers. No difference at all. Starting to think your laptop never had this scrambled screen bootup issue :blink:

Tried the drivers. No difference at all. Starting to think your laptop never had this scrambled screen bootup issue :)

Hope your not calling me a liar here char. I did have the scrambled screen issue!! i have also used the DSDT override like slic that made the laptop of mine perform better.

I'm now retiring from this problem as its far above me!!!

So sorry guys.

Just to confirm that this method does work;

1, Install the 9F23 Driver pack (can be found on netkas.org or somewhere just google it)

2, Follow hacktrix instructions in the .pdf and you should generate all the neccessary key etc.

3, Install Chameleon or EFI (if you haven't already done so)

4, Run EFI studio or any other editor to modify the EFI boot strings

5, Save the boot.plist and reboot!

6, Everthing should be fine, resolution change, no garbled screen, perfect boot up

I have used this method on 3 laptops from differant manufacturers and can confirm it works. Just make sure you follow the instructions carefully, and if you need to boot up and have an error just use safe mode. Simple!

hello, Hacktrix2006!

going through your how-to, not very clear how to go from screen 4 to 5, I mean, it is not clear what strings should be retained and which should be deleted. I can not understand mapping between what I see in IOReg and what is in EFI editor. I have similar info as on your screens, but not sure which params I should delete... sorry if my question is stupid.. thanks in advance for your help!

BTW, (maybe I have missed and this was already discussed in thread...) - can you give some theoretical info on this process?

as I understand, we take original Mac EFI string for x3100, modify it to contain some identification info from our x3100 card, and put it in Boot.plist to tell MacOS which driver to load. or we took complete Mac EFI dump as a basis?

maybe you or anybody knows how to get information currently returned by EFI (I have PC_EFI installed, at least I guess I have it, I installed from iDeneb 10.5.5). maybe the reason of troubles is in it (not in PC_EFI but in its compatibility with my laptop)? is there a way to deactivate it temporary and then to restore?

(I have dual-boot MacOS & XP+macdrive, so, if it can be done by move/restore files - this would be great)

--

1 additional question - in case all operation successfull - boot screen is shown in 1024x768 or normal resolution? I mean - how do we check that system understood our EFI string correctly?

Right i used the Apple's X3100 Dump then in EFI Studio i pasted the Apple's X3100 to convert it to XML. I then looked in IOREG display area of my GFX then removed things that was not on my GFX from the apple dump then i injected my EDID and it worked.

EFI strings are used to tell mac what drivers to used and how to use them that all they do.

thank you for your answer!

sorry for another question (in case you have been asked it many times already) - how to decide which string should be deleted and which should not? in your tutorial, I'm comparing screens Figure4 and Figure5, and can not understand how they are matched... Figure4 contain IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPC/Display@2,1 branch, maybe other branch should be used? the one which originally was used to get EDID data? (sorry, can not check mapping myself now since I'm on other PC now...)

and what about how to check if system have recognized my gfx EFI string?

and additionally, are there any prerequisites for getting EDID data (for step 1)? maybe some extensions should be disabled/deleted? or we get the same data always, no matter what extensions are currently active?

btw, have you tried to use full x3100 Mac dump? I think physical controller is the same on non-Mac laptops and on Macs, so, the fact that some params are missed in IOReg - it can be limitation of drivers which are currently loaded. and I'm 99% sure they are loaded improperly till we provide proper EFI to them, otherwise I think we would not discuss this topic...

and thank you for proposal! If I will not manage to complete it during week-end - I will come back on Monday! If I will - I will come back for sure too!

and concerning matching - I think I'm right, IOReg branch from Figure1 should be used instead of Figure4 (this conclusion based on your screenshots from PDF, I haven't tried it myself yet)

do you have asus f3e? mine is asus f80l:) do you also have problem that you can use only 1 cpu core? (sorry for off-topic, do not know how to send private message here)

I used to have that problem with CPU till i used DSDT patch but my mac partition died. I have tried a full usage of the X3100 dump from the apple mac but it just scrambled my screen to little squares of 1.5cm x 1.5cm.

ravagilli can you please send me a copy of your com.apple.boot.plist thanks!