Kernel and SMBIOSResolver Question

RahamanPatrick

3 posts in this topic

Hey all, got a couple quick questions about the latest JaS release (10.5.4).

1. What's the difference between the "StageXNU" kernel and the "Intel SSE2 SSE3 9.2.0 Sleep" kernel.

Now I know what SSE2 and 3 are but I don't know about the StageXNU kernel and last I checked sleep and speedstep didn't work on OSx86?

I've got an Intel Pentium D 820.

2. What's the SMBIOSResolver and why are there so many? I've heard it gives you a serial number or some such thing? Am I correct and if I am why would you want one?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, RahamanPatrick :(

Hey,

1) The Stage XNU Kernel is a 9.4.0 kernel unlike the 9.2.0 kernel. So it is more reliable with the 9.2.0 kernel. Also the XNU kernel has sleep and speedstep support to my knowledge. The kernel also shows the correct numbers of cores in dual core AMD processors.

2) Yes, some NVInject divers didnt work in the 10.5.3 update so NVKush was created to supply graphic drivers for nVidia Cards.

3) So you can choose your custom options. If you open the terminal it will show "johndoes XXXXXXXXXX ~ johndoes$" The XXXXXXXX is what the SMBIOS resolvers fixes. You can make it to say 800, 667, Mac Pro, iMac, Macbook, etc. It probably does some other stuff that beyond my knowledge.