Load patched kexts from alternate folder?

Riley Freeman

11 posts in this topic

I installed 10.5.1 (and updated to 10.5.4) using the boot-123 method. Then used Kalyway's Chameleon DFE Hard Disk installer which copied the contents of the extra extensions folder form the boot cd to my hard disk so I can boot without the disc. What I'd like is to be able to place any patched kext into this folder rather than have to overwrite the original system ones.

In some cases it seems to be working (jMicron kexts I got from another thread which included edited system kexts), but I still have three patched kexts that won't load, so I have had to install them in the System extensions folder (AppleACPIPlatform, AppleHDA and AppleSMBIOS).

I tried incrementing the version numbers to see if they would override the original kexts on startup (with the -f boot flag set) but they didn't. Should this be possible? Maybe I did something wrong.

Thanks for the help Hagar. Sounds perfect, but it's not working here.

I increased the ioprobescores in AppleACPIPlatform (and it's AppleACPIPCI plugin) by 10 and restarted. Just at the end of the boot process it halts with an error "kextd[12] iokitwait(quiet) timed out waiting to write kernel symbols". I had to delete the edited kext to get Leopard to boot to the desktop. I also tried again, this time increasing just the values in the kext (not the plugin as well) and by a higher amount but still the same error.

Also, AppleSMBIOS and AppleHDA don't have any ioprobescore values. I guess I could maybe add the values but what would be a safe one?

UPDATE: I set a ioprobescore of 100 for AppleSMBIOS and it's loading fine. AppleHDA is being a bit trickier (as I don't know if I also have to set values for each of the plugins). Still stumped with AppleACPIPlatform.

I did some more digging around and found the IORegistryExplorer tool in Xcode. This shows me the IOProbeScores of the loaded kexts. But even after putting higher values in, I can't get AppleHDA or AppleACPIPlatform working. Maybe I just got lucky with the AppleSMBIOS one.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there, I'm having some similar trouble here. I'm a noob... and I used Boot 132 with basic initrd kexts (kabyl-bumby iso), add the chameleon hard disk and added some kexts to the extra folder, but kexts are not loading, not even the PS2 controller kext that came in the original iso, what can it be?

Thanks

Javier

• 2 weeks later...
Same Thin here but with other kexts....what can be done?

Thx

maybe here's the answer (poorly translated from the Italian Section):

for every kexts in /Extra/Extensions you've to edit its Info.plist and change under the OSBundleRequired the string to Root.

Cheers!