What laptop should I buy for use as a hackint0sh?

25 posts in this topic

Hello!

What laptop should I buy?

I'm looking for one with a 17'' internal monitor.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and of course I need one that will be compatible with (or can be made compatible) hackint0sh (Kalyway or any other! As long as it's leopard!)

I'd be happy at receiving any suggestions on this, :(

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

Dell Inspiron and Vostro are known to be work out of the box. For sure. a little bit of kext and packages but at all, it's great! And also the wireless card Dell xxxx are recognized as Airport Extreme so no crying or screaming. Please, don't buy an Acer. Tips of a poor guy who bought one and damn regret !

What's wrong with your Acer? Just curious...

Well, they are just mean. :P

Actually, some are "tatooed" meaning they can only install a specific os. For exemple, my friend has a acer desktop, and the computer can only be installed with the version of windows that came with the computer. (6 disk instal OEMed win xp media center) Other OSes simply can't boot, be it linux, os x86, or just other a real win xp disk.

I'm guessing that all acers aren't like that. But I'm guessing some have weird bios issues or have 'obscure' hardware.

What's wrong with your Acer? Just curious...

What's wrong. Uhh, at all I'm not very happy. Cause most of the time (I don't why), he's produce a tons of heat. And sometimes, my fan doesn't go on (the fan of the CPU for sure). In this case, my computer shutdown suddenly or I have to reboot manually for starting on the fan. That's not very cool. And this issue is present on both XP and Vista trust me.

And for Paolo, you can install any OS'es on Acer. Before I had Vista Ultimate x86 (non OEM), after I downgrade to XP Pro SP3. The problem you described I'm sure it's the AHCI mode (or SATA mode) you don't know how to proceed and you can't install everything. I also install openSUSE 10.3, kubuntu 8.04. It's not a big deal :P

^Hahaha, I like how you said "That's not very cool"

Dell Inspiron and Vostro are known to be work out of the box. For sure. a little bit of kext and packages but at all, it's great! And also the wireless card Dell xxxx are recognized as Airport Extreme so no crying or screaming. Please, don't buy an Acer. Tips of a poor guy who bought one and damn regret !

Thanks, they are a big range of computers... so I have a lot to choose from :P

Wowie!

That looks awesome!

Um, I'm from Australia... so can you help me find an Australian store (online or in NSW) that will sell that kind of laptop?

EDIT: Wait, you don't know if it works with OSx86? Please find out, as that and the size of my screen are the only things I am looking for when buying my laptop. Good specs come second.

Quite a few people have gotten the 8800M to work. What's your budget BTW? The SAGER NP5792 is a pretty awesome laptop, for $2000 US, with top of the line everything, 8800M GTX, 1920x1200 screen, 2.6ghz Core 2 Duo etc etc. Works awesomely in OS X I hear.

Well under 2 thousand dollars.

And no point having a laptop better then my comp (2.4GHz Quad)

So Please keep that in mind.

And I'm going to have to save from scratch (working as a computer technician for $20 or $30 an hour) so perhaps even under a thousand?

Wowie!

That looks awesome!

Um, I'm from Australia... so can you help me find an Australian store (online or in NSW) that will sell that kind of laptop?

EDIT: Wait, you don't know if it works with OSx86? Please find out, as that and the size of my screen are the only things I am looking for when buying my laptop. Good specs come second.

This might be a dumb question of me to ask, but do HP computers sell over in Australia? If so, you should be able to get it around that price compared to US.

I'm looking around now to see how the prices compare

This might be a dumb question of me to ask, but do HP computers sell over in Australia? If so, you should be able to get it around that price compared to US.

Yeah, they do sell 'em in Australia.

HP.com.au

But it is often hard to find a good price, compared to America, even though our 'dollar' isn't that far behind the american dollar.

I'll talk to some people and see if I can get newegg...

Panarchy

Well that answers my previous question!