[How To] Fix PS/2 problems with the latest releases

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

how exactly do you save it? I can't see any tabs with that option on the installer toolbar...

Thanks,

Hendrick

Well, just move it to a new folder with any name you like. You might need root privileges, though. If that is the case, let me know.

I just reinstalled osx86 with iATKOS v4i (10.5.4) but I selected some different options this time.

Now my PS/2 keyboard USB mouse are working at the same time...

You wouldn't happen to know why I need the boot DVD to start mac os x would you? (With out it the computer gets stuck on the power on startup test...)

-Thanks

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Mac yet, am I supposed to go to utilities, then terminal and do this through the command prompt?

-Thanks

No, try manually first.

Go to /System/Library/Extensions/

Move your ApplePS2Controller.kext to a backup folder, then replace it with the one you find here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=21952

Repair permissions (Disk Utility).

Reboot.

You wouldn't happen to know why I need the boot DVD to start mac os x would you? (With out it the computer gets stuck on the power on startup test...)

No I wouldn't, especially with that little info. It happens a lot, and I suppose it is due to hardware compatibility issues. It has never happened to me, because I have always bought the most compatible hardware.

• 4 weeks later...

This might work for some strange cases, but not when ps2 does not work and you try to boot the first time.

You get the "No keyboard connected, please connect now..." screen and so you are stuck. So that's a similar

situation to pcs saying "Keyboard error, press <F1> to continue" and this tip does not help either.

I don't have an usb keyboard anywhere, so the options are: go buy one or...ftp. I tried connecting usb drives

to get the new version of the kext from there...no success, they don't mount. So the last try I'm left with is

ftp. I've put the files on a LAN-drive where I can also access with ftp, and luckily the ethernet card was

recognized and *should* work. I guess I could burn a modified version of the dvd adding the missing kexts,

but...am I missing an easier way??

bye,

rickx

Short addition: no ftp support (what is network for during installation??). Solution was using mac in target mode

so it becomes a firewire drive and mounts on pc, so you can access/copy files from there.

Hi, I am a complete newbie at the whole thing so please forgive me if I say sth silly. I downloaded the JaS 10.5.4 Client/Server release, Created a partition with diskpart and set it active, booted in the installer, made the proper (at least I think so) choices in the customization menu, and installed Leopard. I have a PS/2 keyboard and usb mouse but the mouse is connected to the PS/2 port via an adaptor. During the install of Leopard, both the keyboard and the mouse were working perfectly. When the install completed and asked for a reboot, after showing the intro video, It popped a message "Before you begin..." informing me that i have to connect a keyboard. Neither the mouse works. I read some topics here and tried to follow that. I booted from the DVD again and in the Installer I ran the terminal, but i don't have an Extensions directory in my Library directory. Only an Extensions.kext file. In other topic it says sth about deleting this file with rm, but when i try to do that, it says "read only file" and when i use the prefix sudo, for super user, it says "sudo: command not recognised". Can you please tell me what should I do? Thanks a lot and sorry for the trouble.

• 5 months later...

Hi! I just recently installed Leopard from the 10.5.4 Retail DVD and updated it to 10.5.6 using the combo updater. Then I installed the required kexts, efi strings, and PC EFI v9 by netkas. When I booted it up, after the smooth now (thaks to the efi strings) neat welcome video, I had a very big surprise: Before you begin connect your keyboard. I am using a PS/2 keyboard and a USB wireless mouse. The mouse works well, but for the keyboard I tried tons of ApplePS2Controller.kext, but none worked. Maby the kext is not compatible with 10.5.6? I don't have a USB keyboard at hand unfortunately. Can somebody help me?

P.S.  My other Kalyway 10.5.4 install has no problem with the keyboard.

• 7 months later...
... I am using a PS/2 keyboard and a USB wireless mouse. The mouse works well, but for the keyboard I tried tons of ApplePS2Controller.kext, but none worked. Maby the kext is not compatible with 10.5.6?...

I also would like to know if 10.5.6 (and later) now don't support PS2 devices. Not sure if it means anything, but I could not find the ApplePS2Controller.kext in the retail DVD. I am not sure if that means PS2 is not supported anymore. I have seen that the fixes to get a PS2 keyboard with a USB mouse working are quite old (prior to 10.5.6). If someone has had success with an adaptor from PS2 to USB, I wonder if it would be a custom kext or vanilla. Or perhaps is time to get a new keyboard. I hate to get rid of my wireless keyboard (or have to replace it). :blink: Beware if you try an adaptor...I have read that some "cheap" ones not advertised for keyboards (perhaps only for mice) do not pass enough voltage for the power hungry keyboard.