Will this hardware be ok?

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm sorry if this isn't in the right place, please let me know if that is the case.

I've had many a hackintosh laptop but never bothered building a hackintosh desktop until now...

Would the following be ok or would you make any changes?

• Gigabyte EP35-DS4, iP35, S 775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 1066/667/800/1200 MHz, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX
  • 4GB(4x1GB) Corsair QuadX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator, PC2-8500, 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-15
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 SLACR, Kentsfield Core, Socket 775, 2.40 GHz 1066MHz 8MB Cache, Retail
  • 512MB Gigabyte 8600GT Silent, PCI-E, Mem 800MHz GDDR2, GPU 570MHz, 32 Cores, 2x DL DVI-I/HDTV

It isn't going to be a gaming rig (well maybe the occasional game, but nothing heavy) mainly to be use for video editing/encoding and the like, I'll likely add 6 1TB drives to it (that I have in another machine) so it'll act as a NAS / Time Machine backup to my real Macs/Clones.

I am hoping to keep below £400 and the above comes in at just under £370 from scan incl shipping..

Ok? or am I way off?

Many thanks.

Chris.

You might have a few problems with the audio, as the ALC889 is not very well supported by AppleHDA.kext.

Network might be a issue, but I'm sure that the built-in support for RTL8169 cards should do it. If it doesn't, then there is RealtekR1000.kext.

Make sure your SATA is on AHCI mode, or you may have install problems. You may get a annoying "orange drive icon" issue, but when Apple starts to use the ICH9 that should be fixed.

Your graphics card should be OK.

Try to avoid using the purple SATA ports, they don't work.

I also think that the IDE port won't work too, as it is provided by the same "Gigabyte" controller as the purple SATA ports.

I think the rest should work fine. Good Luck with your setup!v :thumbsup_anim:

PS. Some people are having random KP's with over 4 GB of RAM, I think there's a solution for it in this forum.

Thanks for the info :D

On reflection and checking around a bit I've changed specs a little, it's reduced price a bit but seems to retain compatibillity:

• Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R P35 Socket 775 Motherboard
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 95W G0 Stepping (Retail 775) - (Plan to overclock this to around 3.2GHz per core)
  • Corsair 4GB PC2-6400 XMS2 (2x2GB)
  • XFX Geforce 8600GT 512MB DDR2 PCI-E
  • Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 PRO

It's not a massive change, but the mobo seems a little more supported and in total is about £40 cheaper

Any last thoughts on this setup before I order? :D

Thanks so much,

Chris.

You might have a few problems with the audio, as the ALC889 is not very well supported by AppleHDA.kext.

Network might be a issue, but I'm sure that the built-in support for RTL8169 cards should do it. If it doesn't, then there is RealtekR1000.kext.

Make sure your SATA is on AHCI mode, or you may have install problems. You may get a annoying "orange drive icon" issue, but when Apple starts to use the ICH9 that should be fixed.

Your graphics card should be OK.

Try to avoid using the purple SATA ports, they don't work.

I also think that the IDE port won't work too, as it is provided by the same "Gigabyte" controller as the purple SATA ports.

I think the rest should work fine. Good Luck with your setup!v :)

PS. Some people are having random KP's with over 4 GB of RAM, I think there's a solution for it in this forum.

There is no problem whatsoever with ALC889a its actually the MOST supported audio chipset out there. You technically can get totally native support without a modded AppleHDA.kext if you use HDAEnabler.kext from Taruga/Kabyl.

This mobo seems perfectly fine and will even be supported by EFI-X when it comes out.

/me bangs head on brick wall.... any mobo suggestions? :)

If it's any help I'm looking at aria.co.uk.

Thx,

Chris.

Stick to Gigabyte boards with 889a audio and you'll be fine, m8.

-Stell

ATA is supported OOB on both the DS3 and DS4 boards.

<the usual> Check the 10.5.2 HCL or a bazillion other threads here on the same hardware, same setup.</the usual>

Either one of your spec'd setups make for one of the most common, well-documented Hackintosh types, with install guides galore.

Follow the guides that have been pointed out in other recent threads and you can have a 100% working system running 10.5.4 very easily with that hardware.

Thanks for the sugestions guys, I ordered the following in the end and saved myself about a 100 quid in total from my first spec list without too much compromise.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz 95W G0 Stepping (Retail 775) £ 89.95

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 PRO £ 11.95

Arctic Silver V Compound £ 3.75

XFX GeForce 8600GTS 256MB PCI-E Retail £ 29.95

Gigabyte EP35-DS3R iP35 Socket 775 Motherboard £ 59.50

Patriot 4GB PC2-8500 Viper Extreme Performance (2x2GB) £ 59.95

Items Total £ 255.05

Aria E-commerce Shipping Charge £ 8.49

Net Total £ 263.54

VAT £ 46.12

Total £ 309.66

Hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow and I get to play :)