About to do a triple boot!

16 posts in this topic

Ok I'm about to do a triple boot with Windows Vista, Mac OS X 10.5.4, and a version of Linux (haven't decided which one though). I have the media for only Vista and OS X. Is there a way to like burn/copy a CD onto a external HDD?

Lol I always liked KDE over Gnome cuz of the look :(

Yea I forgot about openSUSE, I guess i'll go grab a copy of that

Still would be nice to know if there was a way to copy a disc image to a external HDD/thumb drive and make it bootable :(

Lol I always liked KDE over Gnome cuz of the look :(

Yea I forgot about openSUSE, I guess i'll go grab a copy of that

Still would be nice to know if there was a way to copy a disc image to a external HDD/thumb drive and make it bootable :(

I like openSuse. And I like the KDE version too.

There is a live CD/DVD if you just want to try without installing it to your HDD.

http://software.opensuse.org/

I found something interesting for you but the guide is french (cause my first language is french). Let me take some time to translate that and I'll give you more news :)

Easy than from an HDD, it's from a partition on your physical drive hehe

Edited by FrankOS_Scripting

I agree.... try Ubuntu 8.04 to see if you like it.....I am triple booting Vista64, OS X Leopard and Ubuntu 8.04, each on separate HDDs, using EasyBCD 1.72 for convenience..... :(

Ubuntu 8.04 is very good but Mint Linux, an offshoot of Ubuntu may be a better option. Mint Linux has a more polished GUI, has rave reviews, and comes preinstalled with necessary codecs so you do not have to spend time downloading codecs (like you do with Ubuntu 8.04) in order to view media, wmv files.

Ubuntu 8.04 is very good but Mint Linux, an offshoot of Ubuntu may be a better option. Mint Linux has a more polished GUI, has rave reviews, and comes preinstalled with necessary codecs so you do not have to spend time downloading codecs (like you do with Ubuntu 8.04) in order to view media, wmv files.

It is "horses for courses" - at present I use Ubuntu 8.04 because Linux Mint do not have a 64 bit version available yet and I want to be able to access all my 6GB RAM and run 64 bit apps.... :)

Also, on Ubuntu 8.04 to play most common multimedia formats, including MP3, DVD, Flash, Quicktime, WMA and WMV , whether as standalone files or embedded in web pages etc. you can simply open the Terminal, type the following command:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

and you are there..... :thumbsdown_anim:

Or, if graphics/video/audio will be a major part of what you want to do with Linux then you can install 32bit or 64bit 8.04 based Ubuntu Studio from here and discover its capabilities here...... :)

• 2 weeks later...
I like openSuse. And I like the KDE version too.

There is a live CD/DVD if you just want to try without installing it to your HDD.

http://software.opensuse.org/

+1 for OpenSuse11. Its simply amazing desktop GUI and other things. This was my first foray into Linux and I am impressed. Especially the software repositories. Except that, the software support is still weak and whatever is supported, the applications look like if they are from Windows 3.1 era or OS 7. just not that well-designed.