Using Pre-paid Service on iPhone 3G (no hacks)

Shinryu

10 posts in this topic

Heres a video gavargas and I made showing how I used a GoPhone SIM card on my 3G iPhone for making/receiving calls, plus using the 3G network for internet browsing with the GoPhone pre-paid service. This was done without doing any hacks to the 3G ver of the iPhone.

Details:

+iPhone EDGE ver - has been jailbreak with pwned, uses GoPhone pre-paid service

+iPhone 3G ver - has no hacks, it's activated with AT&T, runs ver 2.0 (5A345)

Contrary to what AT&T says you can use any of their pre-paid services for both calls and data without doing any hacks.

Video URL:

• 1 month later...

Nice Video ShinRyu. I'm going to buy a used 1st gen iphone or a 3g and simply cancel and pay the termination fees. I'm curious on the order in which I am supposed to do things. If this has been covered already I apologize. I've tried searching.

As a precursor to the following, I plan on unlocking and jailbraking the phone.

I know I get the iphone and the prepay phone, but as far as activating it, I'm unsure. Do I activate the prepay phone then insert that activated sim into the iphone? Do I put the prepay sim in the iphone prior to activation? Should I unlock and jailbrake it before I activate it or after. I'm not sure which order I should do everything in. Any help would be GREATLEY appreciated.

Thanks

You may be able to use it fine, but AT&T will complain and call you. They will suggest you change to the iPhone regular plan first, and if you don't do anything about it, they have the right to go ahead and change it themselves.

Was that directed at me? Enough people(on youtube and other forums) are using prepaid sims in their iPhones. So, I'm pretty confident it will work without any issues. I'm going to get the 3g, wait 30 days, cancel and then get a go phone. Since I'm already on At&t, hopefully, I can save $ on some of the start up fees. Through further research since I posted my initial question I'm sure that you activate the gophone first and then place the activated sim in the iphone.

Was that directed at me? Enough people(on youtube and other forums) are using prepaid sims in their iPhones. So, I'm pretty confident it will work without any issues. I'm going to get the 3g, wait 30 days, cancel and then get a go phone. Since I'm already on At&t, hopefully, I can save $ on some of the start up fees. Through further research since I posted my initial question I'm sure that you activate the gophone first and then place the activated sim in the iphone.

Go ahead, I'm not stopping you. Those "enough people" probably haven't been using it long enough to get contacted by AT&T. But, they will.

• 4 months later...

i know that this is a sort of old thread, but I need help, and this is the most relevant place...

I am a long time ATT cstomer, and have the $15 unlimited internet, with a family unlimited text plan....so is there a way to buy the iphone 3g, and put my current sim card in without screwing anything up...i just don't want to pay for texting in the plan if i already have unlimited...and i would like to avoid an argument with ATT on how I have paid thousands of dollars to them over 10 years, and now am just filtered in with the rest of every other ATT customer....

• 2 weeks later...

They only make you put on unlimited 3G data on your line and every things else on your plan stays so your texting will not change. But I found out you MUST put data on the 3G phone, you can not take it off.

They also upgraded me from 1500 texts to unlimited with out asking me but you can tell them not to do that, I kept it because i now use 3000 texts at a minimum.

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have recently purchased unlocked apple iPhone 3gs from one of the online portal in UK, I am using AT & T carrier, and it is working properly with my handset, also I can switch over to another service provider, Also there are some options available in market to unlock your mobile phones…if you are googling then you will find it….