Can't get admin access

whiteolorin

7 posts in this topic

I have a problem, many problems actually, but one big problem that I'd like to focus on getting resolved at the moment. I cannot do any activity on my computer that requires admin authentication right now. I'll explain how this happened ...

I like to have everything on my computer up to date with the latest versions even if doing so doesn't really have any significant benefits. The update I wanted this time was the 10.5.4 update for mac os x. EFI emulation does not work on my hardware and I had read about several ways that I could update from 10.5.3 to 10.5.4. But, the easiest way to do this seemed to be to just completely reinstall Leopard with 10.5.4 using iATKOS v4i and get what I needed from my Time Machine backups. The installation actually went fine. I booted up to the install disc, chose the various things I needed to be installed and hit install. System rebooted, and then I got a little bit of a surprise. All my data from the previous installation appeared to be still intact. The log in screen showed all my user accounts, when I logged in, everything was there as normal. I checked the About This Mac to see if it had actually done anything and sure enough, it said I was running 10.5.4. So I thought "Ok, not what I was expecting, but it got the job done." There were three differences I noticed though. The appearance of my dock had been reset to the default leopard look, my folder icons had changed to match those of a fresh installation of iATKOS, and my user account had been changed from having administrator privileges to being only a standard user.

My first thought was to come and search these forums. I found a topic that said I could boot up to the installation disc and use the password reset utility. So I decided to try it. This utility doesn't have the ability to change account permissions, but it did allow me to make sure my root or System Administrator account was set with the password I wanted it to be. So I saved the settings, rebooted, and tested out the changes by trying to modify preferences for my user account. Typed in user name "root" and then the password I chose. Didn't work. Typed in user name "System Administrator" and the password. No luck with that either. So then I tried user name "admin" and the password again. Nothing.

I need one of two things, though both would be just as well. Either I don't know the correct user name to use for the root account, or I need a way to restore administrator privileges to my user account.

Thanks in advance for any help on this issue. If this same issue has been resolved before in another topic, I am very sorry for posting about it again. Also apologize for any typos or grammatical errors. :(

the log in for the root account in the "accounts" menue in system preferences is

"root"

"password choosen in install password reset menu"

and this is the only way afaik.

worked for me (doesn't help you, i know) retry it.

this problem must be related to the iatkos dvd, this problem never occuered to me except when using this dvd to install and then take an "old" home folder

To make a long story short

The username ıs root and the password should be the one you used durıng the ınstallatıon?

That does not not work for me, because durıng the ınstallatıon I have not been asked to enter a password

Is there a way to reset the admın user or pass

To make a long story short

The username ıs root and the password should be the one you used durıng the ınstallatıon?

That does not not work for me, because durıng the ınstallatıon I have not been asked to enter a password

Is there a way to reset the admın user or pass

If hitting the F8 key during boot brings up the boot menu then use the hit any key option and type in -s then hit the enter key to boot into single user mode. Now follow the directions for the fsck and mounting in read/write mode for your / partition then type in passwd root hit the enter key again this will allow you to set the root users password once this is down type in and hit enter key shutdown -r now. Once rebooted you should be able to login to the root account on your install and create a new user with administrative privileges or even try to see if you can set it on your old user account if you want.

I trıed thıs and ıt worked. Try to boot wıth the DVD and select the language. Select then from the tools menu the optıon called "reset password" and key in the new password. This works.