This forum is not the place for buying advice...

7 posts in this topic

I don't consider myself a noob and I just made the same mistake also today. In fact I have been a member for 2 and a half years before you and several months before the first intel mac ever hit the shelves.

So let me put something a bit more constructive in this thread of yours.

The problem isn't the fact that people are purposely breaking the rules, it is a mistake simply because well when you are thinking about HARDWARE to buy and then you see a section called Hardware you put the two together. Second of all when I joined there was not even a Buying section.

Now I will post two solutions

1. Place the buying section directly below or somewhere above the "Hardware" section

2. Right next to "Hardware and Drivers" put in red text (support only, no purchasing advice).

Problem solved.

I agree that the buying section should be right next to the hardware section. I also think a separate section for "drivers only discussion" would be a good thing, but I don't make those decisions.

Look at the post directly above - well, it's below now after I post - by shootingfreak101. People don't read the rules and even if they do they don't care about them. 9 times out of 10 I come to this site and end up banging my head against the wall because it's so hard to find anything. Having the "search" function broken for weeks on end is another contributing factor, but even when it did work it wasn't all that useful simply because there is just too much noise to cut through when you're looking for something very specific.

I'll also agree the line between asking about a particular hardware feature's OSX support and making a decision on what to buy can be fuzzy. Probably too fuzzy for the noobs that seem to gravitate toward OSX. They want simple. That's the appeal of Apple to them. Many of them - and I don't mean you personally - are simply not going to be able to make that mental distinction. In fact, most Mac fans would probably be quite happy with one big forum where every topic under the sun is thrown together for discussion. They would see nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

If you're going to have different sections for different topics and they all start to become jumbled together, how is it not constructive to point out that moderators who fail to do their job contribute to the problems around here?

I meant what I said. I hope Krazubu is serious about getting a little stricter about enforcing some of the posting policies. It would be a welcome change, but I'll believe it when I see it.

One of the sub-forums that is suffering from this is the OSX installations forum. The leopard section to be exact. It seems that everyone just posts in there about anything including what to buy, driver questions etc etc. Its like know one knows there are different sub-forums or its most likely because everyone gravitates toward that forum simply because thats where the most topics are posted.

However it is NOT where the most answers are shared. That I know for sure. Other forums tend to be much better with answer turnover. I think this site need to also focus on answer turn over. No one should have to post there topic 6 times to get a response. That is sick and wrong. I know I'm getting a little off topic but its another problem that I think by better moderator policing could get better. Simply by moving topics that dont belong where they were posted could help a lot more people get answers.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I am posting this several days after this thread has died lol but I want to respond to another point you made BigPimpin and that is the search function.

I have never noticed it broken here, but other forums I have been to have had theirs broken a good bit so I came up with a solution and that is google. If you use this "site:" you can search a specific website

example would be

site:insanelymac.com cpus=1 kernel

or

site:forum.insanelymac.com "best motherboard"

that would also work, putting things into quotes will find phrases.

I know I am posting this several days after this thread has died lol but I want to respond to another point you made BigPimpin and that is the search function.

I have never noticed it broken here, but other forums I have been to have had theirs broken a good bit so I came up with a solution and that is google. If you use this "site:" you can search a specific website

example would be

or

The search function issue has been attended to.

example would be

or

New Search Platform (thanks to Suhail): http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=115696