GUID, dual boot from MBR XP Disk to GUID Mac OS X

32 posts in this topic

• 3 months later...

Hi MacGirl I do have some questions:

I did also install the munky EFI way on my 2nd hdisk. I just cant get a multiboot to work. My HD0= XP (MBR) and HD1 = MACOSX plus hidden 100MB EFI partition.

Since there are so many ways of making retail Leopard to boot Im confused on how to use your guide!

I read a lot on this forum but am very confused now. It would help a lot when you or someone else would tell us what the differences are when you have MACOS installed the EFI way by Munky.

Since this guide isnt written for my current EFI setup I have the following questions:

- cant I use the file called boot0.gpt and place that one on my C drive where XP resides to make a dual boot function? Thats what someone else writes on this forum under the EFI way of install (munky)

From your guide:

Step 2- make a HFS partition (you can make a Fat32 and then with Disk Utility erase to a HFS)

-> do I need to create a 100MB LOGICAL or PRIMARY HFS partition on my first harddisk? I guess it must be Logical.

Step 3- use any method to install a boot loader and make this partition the active one, OSX86 Tools is an easy way to do it (you can install any of them, I choose chameleon)

-> ???? Guess I already do have a bootloader on my MACOS drive so why another here? Should I delete the one on my 2nd hd?

4- copy your actual kernel to that partition (i name it boot)

-> Here Im very confused which kernel file I have to move to this HFS partition...the one under my MACOS or the one thats currently in my hidden EFI?

5- make this folders System/Library and Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration (you can change ownership to root:wheel if you want)

6- copy your /System/Library/Extensions.mkext to the new HFS partition (same path)

-> Which one??The stuff I have under EFI?

7- copy your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to the new HFS partition (same path)

-> same question

B- copy the result to the new com.apple.Boot.plist below Kernel Flags key with this prefix "boot-uuid=".

-> What to do with my current plist files??? Delete? Delete the whole EFI partition???

Other option is to make the XP partition active, use the chain0 method in the boot.ini but when you select the mac partition you need to select the mac partition from the Darwin bootloader menu again (since the XP partition is the active one Darwin will select as boot OS and if you don't select other you will end in the XP bootloader again, that is Why I prefer the other option Darwin as 1st boot an just one selection).

-> ??? When I put chain0 on my 1rst hdrive and in my boot.ini I just cant start up the MAC OS when I click on MAC OS during boot...it can only boot into XP! I can only get into the Darwin bootloader when I physically UNPLUG my XP SATA harddrive0! Then my BIOS only sees the hdrive with MACOS on it and I can boot via Darwin.

So: "you need to select the mac partition from the Darwin bootloader menu again" ...I cant even get to this bootloader.

Hope you can help me and others ...Im desperate now and killed my XP install already twice!

THANKS!!!

Step 2- make a HFS partition (you can make a Fat32 and then with Disk Utility erase to a HFS)

-> do I need to create a 100MB LOGICAL or PRIMARY HFS partition on my first harddisk? I guess it must be Logical.

I never use logical because Mac OS/Darwin doesn't like logical (but not in all cases)

Step 3- use any method to install a boot loader and make this partition the active one, OSX86 Tools is an easy way to do it (you can install any of them, I choose chameleon)

-> ???? Guess I already do have a bootloader on my MACOS drive so why another here? Should I delete the one on my 2nd hd?

I didn't do that.

4- copy your actual kernel to that partition (i name it boot)

-> Here Im very confused which kernel file I have to move to this HFS partition...the one under my MACOS or the one thats currently in my hidden EFI?

If you are booting to the EFI the one that is on the EFI partition, if you are booting directrly to the Mac OS partition the one that is on the Mac partition.
6- copy your /System/Library/Extensions.mkext to the new HFS partition (same path)

-> Which one??The stuff I have under EFI?

look at previous answer.

7- copy your /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to the new HFS partition (same path)

-> same question

same answer.

B- copy the result to the new com.apple.Boot.plist below Kernel Flags key with this prefix "boot-uuid=".

-> What to do with my current plist files??? Delete? Delete the whole EFI partition???

no, unless you are booting directly to the Mac partition.

-> ??? When I put chain0 on my 1rst hdrive and in my boot.ini I just cant start up the MAC OS when I click on MAC OS during boot...it can only boot into XP! I can only get into the Darwin bootloader when I physically UNPLUG my XP SATA harddrive0! Then my BIOS only sees the hdrive with MACOS on it and I can boot via Darwin.

So: "you need to select the mac partition from the Darwin bootloader menu again" ...I cant even get to this bootloader.

Hope you can help me and others ...Im desperate now and killed my XP install already twice!

THANKS!!!

chain0 can't boot other hard disks, only HFS partitions that are on the same disks.

So this is the flow

1st HD:

NTFS with XP with boot.ini

HFS partition with extensions.mkext kernel and com.apple.boot.plist with boot-uuid= flag

2nd HD

EFI hidden partition (with munky's method or not)

HFS with Mac OS

Booting sequence:

XP bootloader boots and ask for OS to load, if you choose "chain0" it loads darwin bootloader in the first HD that loads Mac OS partition on the second disk because it has boot-uuid flag.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Working on making this work myself. Any reason for using HFSDebug to grab the UUID instead of diskutil? If not, you could eliminate the download the utility step and simply use the command diskutil info diskXsY? It seems to give me the same results either way or am I doing something wrong with HFSDebug?

OK I've gotten 99 percent of the way there, but currently experiencing one bit of freaky behavior.

Here is my disk setup:

/dev/disk0
/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme						*232.9 Gi   disk0
  1:			   Windows_NTFS Windows				 232.5 Gi   disk0s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS Boot					384.4 Mi   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*232.9 Gi   disk1
  1:						EFI						 200.0 Mi   disk1s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS OSX					 232.6 Gi   disk1s2

Windows XP Pro is installed on the Windows Partition, OSX 10.5.8 on the OSX Partition, and the Boot partition is setup as per the directions in this thread (I'm pretty sure).

On bootup, chameleon loads from the Boot Partition just fine... shows the default option of Boot (with an apple icon), letting it timeout boots OSX off of the OSX volume as it should.

On hitkey I have two options in Chameleon... it displays the Windows (with the windows icon) and OSX (with the apple icon) Interestingly, the Boot partition is omitted.

Now the freaky bit.... both choices boot OSX.

Any idea where I went wrong?

EDIT: Fixed It! I'm so happy I could dance.

I fixed it by re-installing Chameleon to the Boot partition using an installer package this time instead of trying to do it manually. I took an RC2 package that I got off of an iPC distro and updated the files with RC3's... ran the installer and can now boot properly. Yay!