Automount ext partition in OS X

EDavidBurg

6 posts in this topic

I've got Ubuntu 8.04 installed alongside Leopard, and I installed ext2fs so that I can read my Ubuntu partition (albeit only as ext2) from OS X. I can mount it just fine from the terminal, but is there a way I can mount it automatically every time I boot? I'm comfortable with the command line, so no need to hold my hand. ;)

I've got Ubuntu 8.04 installed alongside Leopard, and I installed ext2fs so that I can read my Ubuntu partition (albeit only as ext2) from OS X. I can mount it just fine from the terminal, but is there a way I can mount it automatically every time I boot? I'm comfortable with the command line, so no need to hold my hand. -_-

From an other post I have read it appears that OS X will use the /etc/fstab file if it exists to do what you want so off the top of my head try something like this for the contents.

/dev/disk0s1 /Name_Of_Mount_Point_You_Created ext2 ro,auto 0 1

Of course changing to the proper values as to the disk?s? and possibly the 0 1 on the end for the file system checking.

Edit: Found the post it talks about the /User folder but it should be the same idea for your needs.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...3689&st=944

Well, this is weird. I don't have an /etc/fstab, but I do have /etc/fstab.hd. I open it up and get this:

IGNORE THIS FILE.
This file does nothing, contains no useful data, and might go away in
future releases.  Do not depend on this file or its contents.

So... uh... Easter egg?

EDIT: If I make a new /etc/fstab, will I also have to tell it to mount Macintosh HD?

Well, this is weird. I don't have an /etc/fstab, but I do have /etc/fstab.hd. I open it up and get this:

IGNORE THIS FILE.
This file does nothing, contains no useful data, and might go away in
future releases.  Do not depend on this file or its contents.

So... uh... Easter egg?

EDIT: If I make a new /etc/fstab, will I also have to tell it to mount Macintosh HD?

I don't think it is necessary to mount the Macintosh HD OS X just uses the extra information in the /etc/fstab you create.

but is there a way I can mount it automatically every time I boot? I'm comfortable with the command line, so no need to hold my hand. :lol:

Don't get me wrong I also like the CLI very much, but by all means why not using 'extfs manager' in systemsettings panel?

As for CLI please consider to read some more info about the automounter. <_<