Is torrent seeding illegal?

4 posts in this topic

I was thinking of setting up an old Thinkpad that my work was throwing out to be a torrent seeding server. A computer I would connect to the internet, download torrents off and keep seeding files on. However I'm wondering if I can get convicted for doing this. Is seeding torrents that you've downloaded a convictable crime?

Only if you are seeding illegal content (ex. OSX86). :(

You can be found (MPAA and RIAA have bots that check out their peers ip. They send automated threats to your ISP). Enabling encryption is recommended. Stealing Starbucks wifi is even safer :( . Most of the bots are on movies torrents (especially aXXo) and music torrents. They generally don't bother with linux though (it's not illegal ;) ).

Peer guardian is a recommendation, but it blocks alot of legitimate ip addresses also :)

Cheers

Well they send that if you live in the USA (or any other copyright abiding country but mostly on USA). It depends on your ISP if they decide to send the letter to you. Yes you can go to jail. Likelihood? Very slim (due to lack of evidence, etc.). Look at those filesharers that went to court. Majority won. If you have a business on the other hand, that is a whole different story ;)

Movies (especially aXXo and more recently klaXXon) + Music (torrent/ and especially limewire) = slightly higher % chance of being caught. :dice::)