System got broken after 10.5.4 update. Help needed

rdmitry

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have Leo4all v2 system running Intel core 2 duo 2.66 GHz with 8GB memory on Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mb with ATI 2400HD vga and sata 140GB HDD. I installed all needed kexts and latest Netkas smbios and all worked fine for me until I decided to make a 10.5.4 update. I read in forums, that it is OK to install it directly via Apple update utility. However, during installation process I've got a problem. System hung during installation having 21% done. After waiting more then 2 hours, I decided to try to reset my computer. After that, system doesn't boot. It goes thru dosen of kext loads and then turn off monitor and silenly reboots. I booted from leo4all dvd to check disk consistency. All seems to be OK. At least my personal files are readable.

I know, I can save my personal data, install new system and restore my data in it. However, this is a very long way, cause I have a lot of soft installed in my system. Is there a way to just make my system bootable? It would save a lot of my time :thumbsup_anim: .

Any help would be very much appreciated, Dmitry

Hi,

I have Leo4all v2 system running Intel core 2 duo 2.66 GHz with 8GB memory on Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mb with ATI 2400HD vga and sata 140GB HDD. I installed all needed kexts and latest Netkas smbios and all worked fine for me until I decided to make a 10.5.4 update. I read in forums, that it is OK to install it directly via Apple update utility. However, during installation process I've got a problem. System hung during installation having 21% done. After waiting more then 2 hours, I decided to try to reset my computer. After that, system doesn't boot. It goes thru dosen of kext loads and then turn off monitor and silenly reboots. I booted from leo4all dvd to check disk consistency. All seems to be OK. At least my personal files are readable.

I know, I can save my personal data, install new system and restore my data in it. However, this is a very long way, cause I have a lot of soft installed in my system. Is there a way to just make my system bootable? It would save a lot of my time :D .

Any help would be very much appreciated, Dmitry

I don't think this will help but won't hurt either.

Boot into the single user mode and see if there is AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.

If it's there, get rid of it and restart with flushing all kext caches.

Hi, Stravaganza,

Thank you, it helped :) . Now, when all of this is in the past, could you, please, explain what you think was happened?

Best Regards, Dmitry

Well, as to what happened, it would seem that you tried jumping directly from 10.5.2 to 10.5.4; thus the Software update that you downloaded was essentially the update to 10.5.3 PLUS the update to 10.5.4; the problem here being that the 10.5.3 update was NOT safe to install via Software Update. If you ever need to reinstall OSX, install 10.5.2; use a hackintosh-safe comboupdate to go to 10.5.3 (Kalyway, etc.) and THEN use Software Update to go to 10.5.4; the bad kext got installed during the 10.5.2 --> 10.5.3 portion and your system never made it to 10.5.3 --> 10.5.4