Install a program on a NTFS drive?

KaptenKresh

7 posts in this topic

As the title says, is it possible to install a mac application on, for an example my windows NTFS drive?

Or does it have to be HFS+ formatted?

Why i want to do this is because my OSX partition is quite small, and i don't have room for big programs.

Thanks in advance!

Kresh

If you have an app that enables you to write on NTFS, then you could give it a try. I have had problems with NTFS in the past, even with the enablers, so I guess there's a good chance something could go wrong though.

Try it out and let us know how it went, will ya?

Ok, i tried it. I am using the NTFS-3G, and i can write on NTFS, save files etc.

However it didn't work to install a program on the drive...

(I tried to install World of warcraft)

I had no problems doing it on my HFS+ drive...

Kresh

Hi All,

I am facing similar problems unable to install or write for that matter on my NTFS drive. Do i need to setup special permissions for enabling write feature on the NTFS drive.

I have 2 HDDs

1 x 160 GB Seagate NTFS Win XP Pro

1 x 500 GB Seagate HFS Leo4all V2 10.5.2

I just tried one day to be able to save a file on NTFS was not able to do that.

Though i am able to execute files from the NTFS and Copy things from the NTFS drive. But unable to write on the NTFS.

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

I am facing similar problems unable to install or write for that matter on my NTFS drive. Do i need to setup special permissions for enabling write feature on the NTFS drive.

I have 2 HDDs

1 x 160 GB Seagate NTFS Win XP Pro

1 x 500 GB Seagate HFS Leo4all V2 10.5.2

I just tried one day to be able to save a file on NTFS was not able to do that.

Though i am able to execute files from the NTFS and Copy things from the NTFS drive. But unable to write on the NTFS.

Thanks in advance.

OSX does not support NTFS writing. You need a third-party app, like the one the poster above mentioned (NTFS-3G, paragon, etc).

i wouldnt install any apps or app data on anything other than HFS+ (case insensitive). other file systems will not be able to hold the proper permissions, and case sensitive file systems will cause certain apps (like WoW) to not be able to read the proper files names (It will try to open 'wow.app' for instance but the label is 'WoW.app and that wont work if its case sensitive).