Release for Toshiba Satellite P10x users: modded BIOS to try and activate Conexant sound chip

BuXb

375 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! Is there a good working solution based on SL? Write a short howto, please.

Hi Jazz,

I've used SnowOSX distro to instal SL.

Then I've put IOPCIFamily from leo (Eureka's kext), AppleHDA from clubber_77, had changed SMC plugin kext to get speedstepping (smbios.plist is vital over here), VoodooBattery to get the battery meter, NVkush to get nvidia working.

I think DSDT.aml is a must! And Chameleon RC3 of course. The rest remained unchanged (AFAIR).

Good luck!

mentorek

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I've got the Conexant "Waikiki" CX20551 HD Audio (Vendor-ID 14F1, Device-ID 5047) in my Toshiba laptop. The laptop is a Satellite Pro P100, model PSPA1C TM30XE. I can't find a patched BIOS for it, and don't really want to mess with that. I've tried patching my DSDT and used Azalia, no luck (though I did manage to somehow get sound through my Logitech PC Wireless USB headset, no idea how - that install is since gone, though).

Could I get some help getting sound working? To start with, is there a particular distro you recommend installing? To save time downloading another one, I have images for iAtkos V7 10.5.7, iDeneb 1.4, iPC 10.5.6, and Kalyway 10.5.2 - out of those, is there a particular one that you've had better luck with? Or should I download something newer?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Anybody successfully applied the 10.5.8 update? I have no graphics at all after the 10.5.8 Delta Update with my Nvidia GeForce 7600 GO.

When I press the power button and then R the machine restarts, so the OS itself is responsive. It is just that there is no graphical UI at all.

I applied my 10.5.7 Extensions backup --> same thing, so it seems to be something outside the Extensions folder (Framebuffer? OpenGL?).

Does anybody have an idea, or experience with this 10.5.8 update NVidia graphics bug?

Thanks,

Bugs

@ jazzminos: don't give up .. :)

I got a toshiba A135 with nvidia 7600go (128MB). Before I tried to do modification to my DSDT, I use EFI string to get my 7600GO to work under 10.5.8 (of course no QE/CI). One day I found someone post a DSDT modification about nvidia 7200GO, I decided to try on my 7600Go card, and I got QE/CI work under 10.5.8 (all vanilla) here is the modification I made of my DSDT

Put te DTGP method somewhere in the DSDT, usually before _WAK

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)

{

If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)

{

/* 0000 */ 0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,

/* 0008 */ 0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B

}))

{

If (LEqual (Arg1, One))

{

If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))

{

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x03

}, Arg4)

Return (One)

}

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))

{

Return (One)

}

}

}

Store (Buffer (One)

{

0x00

}, Arg4)

Return (Zero)

}

then find the device PEGP, and make modification accordingly.

Device (PEGP)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x00010000)

Device (VGA)

{

Name (_ADR, Zero)

Name (CRTA, One)

Name (LCDA, One)

Name (TVAF, One)

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x1E)

{

"@0,AAPL,boot-display",

Buffer (One) {},

"@0,built-in",

Buffer (One) {},

"@0,compatible",

Buffer (0x0B)

{

"NVDA,NVMac"

},

"@0,device_type",

Buffer (0x08)

{

"display"

},

"@0,name",

Buffer (0x0F)

{

"NVDA,Display-A"

},

"@0,use-backlight-blanking",

Buffer (One) {},

"@1,can-hot-plug",

Buffer (One) {},

"@1,compatible",

Buffer (0x0B)

{

"NVDA,NVMac"

},

"@1,device_type",

Buffer (0x08)

{

"display"

},

"@1,name",

Buffer (0x0F)

{

"NVDA,Display-B"

},

"NVCAP",

Buffer (0x18)

{

/* 0000 */ 0x04, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0xFF, 0x00,

/* 0008 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x07,

/* 0010 */ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"VRAM,totalsize",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x08

},

"device_type",

Buffer (0x0D)

{

"NVDA,GeForce"

},

"model",

Buffer (0x17)

{

"Nvidia GeForce Go 7600"

},

"rom-revision",

Buffer (0x0E)

{

"5.73.22.47.21"

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

I also got it work under snow leopard 10.6.2

• 3 months later...
Hi Jazz,

I've used SnowOSX distro to instal SL.

Then I've put IOPCIFamily from leo (Eureka's kext), AppleHDA from clubber_77, had changed SMC plugin kext to get speedstepping (smbios.plist is vital over here), VoodooBattery to get the battery meter, NVkush to get nvidia working.

I think DSDT.aml is a must! And Chameleon RC3 of course. The rest remained unchanged (AFAIR).

Good luck!

mentorek

Hi everyone! I tried to install SL... First I tried SL Upgrade DVD. It starts install but stops and says that install will continue after reboot. But it doesn't continue. Then I tried Hazard distro. I've install upon my existing 10.5.8 install. And now I got kernel panic at boot start. What should I do with this?

With great respect, jazzminos.

• 4 months later...

Hi friends! I'm going to try new version of iAtkos on my old Toshi. And I see that VoodooHDA project has some new results. Did anyone try latest VoodooHDA 272 with our Conexant chip?

With great respect, jazzminos.

p.s. maybe the time has come to change the laptop... I'd like to buy HP ProBook 4720s. There is little information on this series on this forum... I'm worrying about ATI video.

Hi jazzminos.

I gave up on VoodooHDA, always kp. Have not tried the latest 272 yet, though. Slice told me that our codec is not well implemented in VoodooHDA and that we should rather use clubber's modded AppleHDA which already offers mic and headphones out. Line out is working for a sec when pulling the headphone jack out. The reason is that his AppleHDA is using a different pin config for headphone out, which it need and may not, because it is a mechanical switch in the jack that switches between internal and headphones. In other words, all that needs to be done is correct the pin config by using the values from headphone jack also for internal. That would take appr. 2 hrs. accdg. to the manuals, but I do not have 2 hrs. to spare, and won't have for quite some time because I am so busy.

More of a challenge is to enable audio on wake-up from sleep. I had this working before but then monitor-wake broke, so it seems either/or.

Anyway, if you feel like it, give the new Voodoo 272 a try since somebody else than Slice modded it.

Re. HP ProBook 4720s with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530: The ATI HD framebuffer driver (10.5/10.6 - latest RadeonHD.10.6.x.kext from 05/26/2010) includes support for the HD 4530, but only for 2D as it seems, see http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1527493 and http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1530633

Doesn't look good for Snow. For 17.x" HackBooks research for HP Compaq 8710p, HP Compaq 8710w, HP Pavillion Dv7 1245 Series.

• 1 month later...

really? Wow that's great news. jazzminos, can you zip and attach the VoodooPS2.kext you are using?

and a few questions, because I could not get my trackpad to work fully with two-finger scrolling + VoodooPS2:

1) where do you use VoodooPS2, in E/E or S/LE?

2) are you using any other PS2 kexts in E/E or S/LE, like ApplePS2Trackpad.kext or AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext?

3) are you, in addition to VoodooPS2, using the FFScroll package?

4) do you see a trackpad icon in System Preferences, and is two finder scroll activated there?

Thanks,

Bugs

Hi Bugs! I'm sorry for keeping You waiting... I went home (about 1600 kilometers from the place where I work)...

I used this package:

http://rapidshare.com/files/432376779/Vood...8-installer.pkg

I got it on the official project forum :)http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php#c7 But You should use installer options and choose to install VoodooPS2 trackpad!!! As I remember it is disabled in the installer by default. And You should delete ALL PS2 related kexts. You see... In latest iAtkos all kexts were deleted in system folder... But I really don't know why they put ACPIPS2Nub in Extra folder... I experienced troubles with this until I guessed where the original kext may be located.

I don't have laptop at the moment, but as I remember ALL necessary prefpanes appear in System Preferences... And I DIDN'T use anything else except VoodooPS2!!! Absolutely nothing!

With great respect, Dmitry.

p.s. Can You share working kext for USB2.0 and for Network (Intel Pro100 VE) for Snow Leo? Of course, with necessary comments.

Hi jazzminos, just saw your posting, thank you very much. I find myself all of a sudden working on three jobs so it looks like as if it will be end of the week even though I am burning to try. Please give me a few days to report back ;)

Thanks again, your instructions sound good!

PS: my Toshi has the Intel 1000 not 1oo LAN card..

! YES ! Working - I'm lovin' it! The installer set wrong perms for the voodoops2 kext so I simply dragged it out of the S/L/E folder, (colorized it,) and applied with KextUtility, which always works. Before I had removed all PS2 kexts from E/E (had none in S/L/E).Restarted, BOOM! Tweaked a bit in System Preferences/Trackpad. Really nice. Wake-up from sleep also still works, which was an issue with older VoodooPS2 kexts. Thanks a lot for "the long way ;)", Dmitry.

Is the USB kext working for you? What was NOT working?

So I guess you are Russian or Ukrainian, and work where?

I didn't test USB kext yet... I was very busy. I'll test it today or tomorrow.

I need a LAN kext... And also sound... ;):):( Greatest problem of all. Did You enable speakers output? I'll try latest VoodooHDA... As I understood, it may need some tweaking - vendor\device ids and so on... I also plan to test Voodoo Wireless for 3945.

I'm from Russia... I work also in Russia, but very far from my home town. I work in packaging printing.

With great respect, Dmitry.

sound speakers out only with the old Azalia. Good luck with VoodooHDA, so far everybody has been getting kernel panics.

I swapped the 3945 with a compatible Atheros (also better reception/ connectivity).

• 3 weeks later...

HI,

I'm currently trying to get IntelHD sound to work. It is HP DV1660SE laptop with 945GM chipset and the same

Conexant CX20551 (Waikiki) Vendor Id: 0x14f15047, Subsystem Id: 0x103c30a0, Revision Id: 0x100000

sound card. It really *^%&^$ me! Nothing seems to work - both in SL and Leopard. VoodooHDA provokes KPs or doesn't load at all (depending on version used). Patched AppleHDA doesn't work (some errors Sys log). I've tried one of yours AppleHDA versions (found this forum) but no luck... Only showing some connections in System Profiler (nothing is shown both in Audio Midi Setup and Sound Properties).

So far I've patched DSDT (HDEF device) and tried many different versions of Vood/AppleHDA. And some patched Conexant 20551 versions (see this topic also this one link in Post#5) With no luck obviously...

I've a PCI card working on my desktop (both SL and L)... So I begin to hate build-in devices :D

Could you please share you experience on the subject? If there is a a slight chance of getting at least headphones or speakers to work? Or it's a dead end? :angel:

Thanks!

EDIT:

For Leopard 10.5.8

A problem is solved (for the most part) by using edited AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. Both Headphones outs work (there are two on the front panel). So does internal speakers. Volume adjustment from keyboard and via slider. Audio device (output) is also present in System Preferences Audio section. Also It is shown in Audio Midi Setup. No Audio is shown in System Profiler.Mic In doesn't work. There is no build-in Mic and Line out/In/SPDIF present (in the notebook).

Actually working Headphones and internal speakers are all I need for daily usage

EDIT2:

The same AppleAzaliaAudio.kext works perfectly with SL too (X.6.7). Mic doesn't work (as per above).

• 2 months later...

Enable sound on internal speakers, Toshiba Satellite P100-105 Conexant Cx20551 "Waikiki" (Vendor-ID 14F1, Device-ID 5047)

Hey guys, I modified the NodeID in the AppleHDA of clubber_77 to output the internal speakers, the corect sequence for our codec Cx20551 Conexant "Waikiki", in System Preferences audio, the information is not corect, I believe it is necessary change some parameters to display the corect information, to me is not important.

Speakers-work

Нeadphones-work

internal Microphone - work

Thanks for all the information, I hope they work.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

nicheljd, I LOVE you :D !!! I confirm your modded AppleHDA working here - finally inernal speakers without having to switch to Azalia, and headphones working as soon as I plug them in, and vice versa. Yes, in Sys Prefs headphones is displayed statically even when none are plugged in, but who cares, that really is cosmetic.Mike still working, too.

I have HDEFInject.kext in E/E, and HDAEnabler.kext in S/L/E. This is SOO nice of you to work this out and to post here. Does your gorgeous new TOSHIBA QOSMIO X500-14D 18.4" also have this sound chip?

The only thing that is still not working is sound after wake-up from sleep. It's all dead. I think I had this solved before with a patched IOAudioFamily.kext + a script running on wake-up as a demon, but if interfered with my screen wake-up script so I disabled it. Did you have to solve Audio after sleep, and if so, would you share how?

oh and also, would you please zip and attach you DSDT?

Thank you nicheljd, this is great!

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody have sound after wake-up from sleep? If so, how?

PS: dus, lieve mik, I am gleefully inquiring about the state of your poor pants .. :)

sleep ain't working for me... :P

I had to go and buy brand new pants cause I couldnt get them to the previous state. ;)

THANKS nicheljd!! Your kext works as a charm! :)