Two hard drives and two OSs

7 posts in this topic

So here is my situation. I have two hard drives, one with vista and one with mac. I have a main on-on switch which determines what drive gets power when it boots. I also have a on off on switch to allow for the other drive (the non-booting OS) to turn on if needed. The problem is when i turn on the drive, neither OS will recognize the other. If i refresh device manager in windows everytime it notices its there but still not explorable (word? no? ok). Any help please?

thanks

-josh

In windows, try going into device manager, then on the menu bar click ACTION > Scan for Hardware Changes. It should then recongise the other Hard Drive, it worked for me :(

I have the same setup, but I use the Windows bootloader to select between XP and Leopard. Why all this bother with switches and wires? Don't like boot.ini? Try Acronis Boot Director. It's good, cheap and reliable. This hardware solution is just so ... obvious. Unless you have a big gnarly knob, which then becones cool, esp. if it's done steampunk style.Buy MacDisk to view your Mac HFS disk from Vista.12 posts down the RSS feed from yours is a link to a guy / gal who has already solved your problem for getting read/ write access to disks in different formats. Ignore his advice about Ubuntu, no one wants to be that geeky.http://www.beingmanan.com/wp/2008/07/acces...ws-ubuntu-os-x/MacDrive/ MacDisk ? Now you can have both!

i do have a big gnarly switch that is built into my custom case (a guitar) and it looks sweet. Thats why i wanna keep it.any help?I want it so that when i turn a drive on, it shows up like an external in the opposites OS. why wont that happen?

• 1 year later...
I have the same setup, but I use the Windows bootloader to select between XP and Leopard. Why all this bother with switches and wires? Don't like boot.ini? Try Acronis Boot Director. It's good, cheap and reliable. This hardware solution is just so ... obvious. Unless you have a big gnarly knob, which then becones cool, esp. if it's done steampunk style.Buy MacDisk to view your Mac HFS disk from Vista.12 posts down the RSS feed from yours is a link to a guy / gal who has already solved your problem for getting read/ write access to disks in different formats. Ignore his advice about Ubuntu, no one wants to be that geeky.http://www.beingmanan.com/wp/2008/07/acces...ws-ubuntu-os-x/MacDrive/ MacDisk ? Now you can have both!

Awesome link -_- Thanks