HowTO make it work: ASUS P5GC MX/1333, Radeon HD 2400 Pro

18 posts in this topic

So I finally figured everything out and thought I'd share for anybody searching around for 4 days like I did :rolleyes:.

My machine is an Asus P5GC MX/1333 motherboard, C2D 2.4 CPU, Radeon HD 2400 Pro video card and a realtek 8139 chipset LAN card. This board has onboard LAN, but nobody has gotten it working yet so I picked up a known working card at my local computer store for about $7. Works great right out of the box.

Put your computer all together and here we go:

Step 0.5: Config the BIOS - leave everything as default except set the Sleep mode to S3. I think there are other things I changed but I don't think it mattered to the Leopard install anyway.

Step 1: Download the Kalyway 10.5.2 torrent from a bay where pirates seem to hang out. Make sure it's 10.5.2 and not 10.5.1.

Step 2: Burn the image to a DVD. It's an ISO, so you can use any regular Windows/Mac/Linux ISO burning software to do it.

Step 3: Configure your hackintosh's BIOS to boot from optical, hit a key when it tells you to and wait about 10 minutes (DVD boot takes awhile). DO NOT DISABLE THE SERIAL/PARALLEL PORTS IN BIOS.

Step 4: Use disk utility to partition your drive (I used 1 partition and GUID boot).

Step 5. Go through the regular OSX setup until you get to the last screen. Hit customize.

Step 6: The only packages I chose were the sleep kernel and X2000 (under graphics).

Step 7: Hit next or done or whatever it says and go have dinner.

Step 8: If all goes well, you should see the welcome to OS X wizard thing. If the wizard restarts when you get to the part where it asks you if you want to transfer your data from another mac, reboot and enable your serial/parallel ports like I told you to do earlier. Welcome to your Mac OS X desktop.

Step 9: Download kexthelper and unzip. - http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Software.html

Step 10: Let's get USB working. Download the wonderful USB 2.0 package found here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=28559 - drag it to kexthelper, enter your password, hope for the best. If all goes well, reboot. (Note: it didn't seem to work for me when I had a blank password. If you do, make a password and try again.)

Step 11: Now for the video card. Download the zip under ATI Radeon HD 2400pro on this page: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=107526&hl= - unzip and install the package. Reboot, cross fingers. NOTE: DON'T INSTALL THIS PACKAGE IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE SAME CARD. DON'T DO IT. MAKE SURE IT'S THE RIGHT ONE OR YOU'LL BE SCREWED AFTER YOU REBOOT AND PROBABLY HAVE TO REINSTALL. If it worked, you will have wonderful QE/CI support and the dock will look very nifty when it magnifies now.

Step 12: Last one: sound. Download, unzip, install this: http://www.mediafire.com/?enez1guzz1g - reboot, and sound should be working when it comes back up. I haven't tested anything except sound output, but it should according to some other people on here.

That's it. The end result of 3 days of searching and testing and reinstalling and much swearing is a fully working Hackintosh computer (minus the onboard LAN, but I'm okay with that). I am very happy and very tired. I hope this helps someone out there.

I will probably be editing this to include things I forgot, so I'm sorry about any mistakes.

1st edit: I can't believe I forgot to thank everyone who wrote drivers, posted tutorials, made pkg installers, etc. There's no way I could have gotten this working without you. So, thank you. Very, very much.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice post! I building a similar setup to yours but instead of a HD2400 I choose a 8600GT. Just have one question about your install. When you setup sound, do you know if your mic works? I havent had chance to fiddle with my system yet cause it hasnt arrived yet. Thanks for all the extra info on getting my mboard working!

doug

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

does your sleep function work still? my sleep works perfectly fine in any scenario (sleep due to idle, sleep invoked via apple menu, sleep invoked by opt+cmd+f12, etc, etc) for about a couple of days after a fresh install. but then suddenly, the computer will stop sleeping. instead it will act like it is trying to go into sleep, but it will not sleep, and i'll hear the hard drive spinning up and spinning down repeatedly. i have the same setup as the OP, but i have gigabyte 7600gs (256mb). same thing happens if i use onboard gma950 without the 7600gs attached. any suggestions or help? does your sleep still work??

I have this same board in a G3 case with a geforce 6600.. has anyone got the GMA950 working 100% I'm tempted to start researching a bios hack to make it work properly "vanilla" mostly as a way to figure out how one does that. any experiences?

I have this same board in a G3 case with a geforce 6600.. has anyone got the GMA950 working 100% I'm tempted to start researching a bios hack to make it work properly "vanilla" mostly as a way to figure out how one does that. any experiences?

gma950 only works up to 10.5.2

edit. apparently it works on 10.5.4. i havent tried it, but go here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=870037

got mine going via this guide

I am completely new to hackin and mac

I tried Kalyway 10.5.1 and it would only go so far in the install before I got errors. Tried iATKOS_v1.0i and it wouldnt boot (the boot loop issue).

I am having USB issues right now, but still stoked that it works so good after my first 2 fails.

I put in a Flash Stick and it shows up under system preferences but can't find out how to access it anywhere.(this after I install the patch)

I found this thread when googling to find a guide that works with my setup, and coincidentally we have the exact same setups except for the video card. This was EXTREMELY helpful, so thank you very much.

Now my question is, have you figured out how to make a dual boot (bootcamp preferably) system? I'm considering buying Vista, just for gaming--they don't work well in Parallels/VMware, but I've read that you can't set up Bootcamp on a Hackintosh. Have you tried this?

Thanks so much for the guide!

• 1 month later...

G'day,

I'm just about to get this logic board as well with Realtek 8169c AU$7 LAN card (I've tested working and works well in Gigabyte Logic Board) But I'm waiting for the logic board to come.

Which kernal did you pick for sleep mode? And is sleep 100% working?

Before 10.5.2 is GMA950 working fine without problems with sticky graphics?

Cheers

AP

I recently bought one of these boards.

1. install iatkos v4i

2. if its the unpatched version of iatkos without the chameleon bootloader you will notice sound is messed up because it reads the fsb from this mobo wrong. download and install chameleon bootloader to fix this.

3. done.

sound, usb, work by default.

ethernet will not work on this board.

don't see why this mobo needed a walkthrough...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks a lot! That's what I needed! My Hackintos is similar, but I'm using Asus M2N-X Plus Motherboard, ATI HD2400 pro video card, AMD 64 X2 4800+ CPU, onboard sound an USB. My onboard Ethernet adapter also didn't started, so I had to by a PCI one. I'll try the recomendations tommorow and I'll post screenshots if everything is OK!

After approx. 15 installs of Leo4All MacOS X and trying of diferent things and how-to's for the Graphics/Display drivers i've found the solution for my Hackintosh! I've instaled the dirver for my ATI HD 2400 Pro Pcie from here. Then I just replaced one of the video card's ID's in \System\Library\Extensions\ATI2000X.kext ------> Info.plist with mine (0x94c31002). And the miracle happend - Quartz Extreme - Supported, resolution and refresh rate choises and so on...

• 2 weeks later...

I already posted the basics in the wiki, but I just wanted to add in that I've installed 10.5.5 onto this system using iATKOS i5 and everything appears to be working well except sleep.

I'm using the 9.5.0 voodoo kernel, have legacy USB disabled and S3 enabled in the BIOS, but when I click sleep, the system appears to go to sleep but wakes up again about 2 seconds later as if nothing had ever happened.

Anyone have experience with that or a solution?

EDIT: There is a PS2_USBPWR jumper on the motherboard near the bottom, above the USB pins, that is set to 1-2 (Off) by default. I moved the jumper over to 2-3 (On) to enable USB keyboard wakeup and its corresponding BIOS entry, and now my sleep works!

• 10 months later...