Discuss 8400M GT for Vaio only

aliomattux

77 posts in this topic

Hi @ everybody.

Im new at osx86. I've also installed osx86 (Kalyway 10.5.2) on my Vaio FZ11s (8400m gt), but i don't have any problems with my display. The only problems are that i can't enable QE and the resolution of 1024x768. My graphicard is recognized as a 32 MB card.

Concept

Same problem here, my vaio is fz11z with 8400 and although I don't have any problem with the display I can't really change the resolution, it's only 1024x768.

I tried to install macvidia drivers but it doesn't do anything :S

Any idea?

Same problem here, my vaio is fz11z with 8400 and although I don't have any problem with the display I can't really change the resolution, it's only 1024x768.

I tried to install macvidia drivers but it doesn't do anything :S

Any idea?

Well, I fixed my resolution by adding a couple of lines to com.apple.Boot.plist file. I added the following:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x800x32</string>

If you want to see if it will work before you edit the plist file, add these boot options while booting:

"Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32"

The plist file makes it so that you don't have to type it every time you run OS X.

Also, your laptop screens are working, because it's running in VESA mode. You cannot enable QE while running in VESA mode! And if you install any nVidia drivers, it will not recognize the laptop screen. But if you connect an external monitor (before booting), nVidia drivers will recognize the external monitor and enables QE.

Wow fast reply ;)

mm sorry but I'm kind of noob here, how can I add these lines to the file?

Is there any problem on being in VESA mode?

Thx!

type the following in Terminal:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Add the lines that I mentioned.

When finished, Ctrl+O to save and Ctrl+X to close.

If you're confused, do it the easier way:

Browse with Finder to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and just drag the file to your desktop. Then, edit your file (the desktop one) and save it. The last step is to drag the desktop version to the original location. A dialog window should pop up. Press the Authenticate button and type your password when it's asked for.

With running VESA, I've had issues watching movies and running applications. You can scroll up to see what issues I had. I can now watch movies, but still can't use iWork in VESA mode. Everything works though, when I install nVidia and hook up an external monitor.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
im using iatkos v 4i with a vgn-fz260e.

no probs with video, but i am trying the screen resolution fix tonight. not worried about movies, (dual boot Vista). did anyone try the audio fix at the beginning of the thread???

Is QE (Quartz Extreme) enabled?? If not, then why bother using OS X when Vista x64 runs great on the FZ series with proper drivers? If QE gets enabled on the VAIO FZ series, that would be sweeeet.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ran into the same problem with my Sony VAIO VGN-FZ18M (GeForce 8400M GT).

Run in VESA mode in fixed 1024x768 resolution

No Quartz Extreme or Core Image

Installing NVinject-Go makes the screen to go black at Mac OS X loading (still the system is running fine and I can change resolution : accessed via VNC).

That annoying problem is killing my eyes at each working session.

(I tried Kalyway 10.5.2 but my guess is that all distributions would run into the same problem)

• 2 weeks later...

hello

i m also a vaio user,I've a VGN-FZ17 with 8400M GT card, running kalyway 10.5.2 Vanilla Kernel.

i got my mac everything ok except graphic,i ve do everything i can to get my graphic work, but never success,who can tell me how can make it work, i m really rired with it!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...