Hardware RAID

Yinx

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys, intending to build a PC for OSX based on a RAID 0 array with XP Media Centre and OSX both installed on the same 1TB array, anyone know if this will work using a RAID controller card?

Cheers guys.

If you don't mind using SCSI, I've got an LSI21320-R RAID controller (PCI-X) that works no problem, however I have an LSI SATA controller that only works in JBOD mode (if I set it to RAID, the disks don't get recognized by Disk Utility).

sorry- was too busy yesterday.

first I installed os x on a single harddrive (with guid or mbr,efi.....doesn´t matter).

second installed the sil3132 kext.

copied the image to the raid with copycatx (copies also efi and bootloader - for that you need an other small leo installed with the sil kext).

if you have a mbr partition you could use also acronis from a windows install with sil drivers installed.

you could also put raid kexts on a thumbdrive and do a kextload during install.

• 2 weeks later...

You couldn't tell me where to get that kext could you? And maybe give a step by step walkthrough of how to load the kext, supreme n00b here and I really need a hand.

Cheers.

here is the driver http://www.siliconimage.com/support/suppor...amp;osid=3&

here are some instructions for the use of kextload in terminal

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/D.../man/8/kextload

the sil3132 kext should be on the USBHD

boot from install dvd go to terminal

cd /Volumes/USBHD press enter

kextload sil3132.kext press enter

now the raid disk should appear in disk utility - install os x on it and copy the sil3132.kext to the extensions folder

and repair permissions

I'm really appreciated Peach-os' help.thank you so much.

I'm tired to install os in these days,and I've tried many methods to make it work?

when I found the kext, I try to do it right away.but......it doen's work. I feel very disappointed.

I uploaded the picture, I holp someone can help me. thank you again :)

post-249463-1214951945_thumb.jpg

it looks like you have to repair permissions after the kextload.

I´m not sure because I tried this method only till the kextload to see if it works.

suggestion: take any old drive install os x on it and the sil driver

two possibilities for the next step:

1.install to your raid disk from this disk using terminal with the method that karakeeha described here perfectly

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

2. clone your installation with copycatx to the raid disk (no patching needed after with this tool...btwy you can find it also on kalyway 10.5.1) and resisize the disk. resizing from disk utility works only if you choose guid.

very comfortable! for mbr partition you would need the gparted-live cd - this works only good with small changes.

for this method you need two installations - one to clone and one to use the cloning software.

you could also clone it with disk utility from the install dvd. after that you need to set the disk active and to patch efi.

I would prefer method one :)

It's a raid card that need driver, but how did you create the array? during startup or with osx or it's automatically created when the driver is installed?

In this case, I think this is exactlly what I wanted since I can dual boot this particular array in windows and osx

For some reason, I was always under the impression that people successfully installed OSX on raid0 with the sil3132 card created the array with OSX, and not a bios level raid. which will be useless in my case since I still need the array to be reconised in windows.

Now I get some interesting read with a clearer mindset