Phenom x4 running leopard 10.5.1

SenVa

6 posts in this topic

I've been out of the osx86 scene for awhile now. mainly due to lack of hardware. I've been stuck with an athlon xp for over a year now, but I just got a new system with a Phenom X4 so I figured i'd give osx86 a shot.

i downloaded zeph's 10.5.1 release and installed a pata hard drive.

Used "-v -f -legacy" as boot options. I had to use a USB mouse and keyboard... but besides those issues the install went perfect. I have an amd system running osx with 4 cores detected and running.

I have leopard 10.5.1 running on

AMD Phenom 9550

780g AMD chipset (no sata or ps/2)

ATI HD 3200 (i haven't tried to run this in anything more than vesa so far)

Wireless usb WUSB54Gv4 (simple guides for this are all over)

I expected alot more work then this. Its crazy to see how much progress was made by the community in about a years time. Seriously this was shocked me. I have to say the osx86 community is amazing.

Dude, Thanks!

I've tried booting my 780G/Phenom 9550 off an external drive with Zeph's 10.5.2 (9.2 kernel) and it's a NO-GO! Crashes and restarts while it's loading the kernel. When I saw your post I thought I'd give installing 10.5.1z a try. Damned if it didn't work!

I have AHCI enabled and it wouldn't boot from the Install DVD until I changed the SATA port for the DVD to "IDE" mode. Then, it booted the DVD, installed 10.5.1, and booted into the OSX Desktop! Install took twice as long (probably the SB700 chipset) - but it worked!

Maybe I'll be able to claim "FOUR (4) working Zephyroth installs!"

I have the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM S2H board using the Radeon HD3200 IGP and the ALC889a. I was successful with the ALC889a on the 690G board so I'm sure that will work on the 780G, don't know about the HD3200, but everything else seems to work well, LAN, USB, 1394a, Time Machine formatted a partition to use as a backup drive... It's pretty quick to! Even without a video .kext! (I got a 175 in xbench (although I had the disk & openGL tests off))

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

My name is Attila from Hungary (my English isn’t perfect).

Sorry to disturbing you, but I have the same motherboard as you (Ga-MA78GM-S2H) and I installed the Kalyway Leopard 10.5.2 but it didn’t start. 

It’s always stop here:

ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

I torned off my firewire in the BIOS and now it’s stop here:

USBF: 12.480 AppleUSBEHCI[0x23a4800]::Found transaction which hasn’t moved in 5 seconds on bus 0x52, timing out! (Addr: 3, EP: 0)

If I disconnect everything from the USB ports, then is no error, but still not start, just stop and waiting for something (mybe for a clap) 

Please let me know how did you got Leopard to work.

A few questions:

1. Do I have to change anything in the BIOS or use the basic settings?

2. What kind of Leopard are you using and where I can download?

3. I have a X2 4450e processor, a 160 GB IDE hardrive (which is connected with the DVD IDE cable), is it good?

4. AHCI is enabled, is it good (i have no idea what the hell is that)?

Please let me know every tips and tricks what you have.

If you like to skype me, please do (my time zone is GMT+01:00) I’m free from 8pm (my time) untill 2am  My skype name is: kavinton75 or find Kövecses Attila.

Regards,

Attila

Dude, Thanks!

I've tried booting my 780G/Phenom 9550 off an external drive with Zeph's 10.5.2 (9.2 kernel) and it's a NO-GO! Crashes and restarts while it's loading the kernel. When I saw your post I thought I'd give installing 10.5.1z a try. Damned if it didn't work!

I have AHCI enabled and it wouldn't boot from the Install DVD until I changed the SATA port for the DVD to "IDE" mode. Then, it booted the DVD, installed 10.5.1, and booted into the OSX Desktop! Install took twice as long (probably the SB700 chipset) - but it worked!

Maybe I'll be able to claim "FOUR (4) working Zephyroth installs!"

I have the Gigabyte GA-MA78GM S2H board using the Radeon HD3200 IGP and the ALC889a. I was successful with the ALC889a on the 690G board so I'm sure that will work on the 780G, don't know about the HD3200, but everything else seems to work well, LAN, USB, 1394a, Time Machine formatted a partition to use as a backup drive... It's pretty quick to! Even without a video .kext! (I got a 175 in xbench (although I had the disk & openGL tests off))

My troubles were specific to the Phenom and I use the Zephyroth 10.5.x releases.

A couple of things: The SB700 chipset on our motherboard isn't actually supported. Mine works with SATA drives (AHCI enabled) because OSX is using "generic AHCI support". I'm NOT installing to OR booting from any of my internal drives. I use an external USB HD for OSx86.

Plus, I found out the biggest problem with Phenom processors is PC_EFI v8 (it seems all the 10.5.2 releases use PC_EFI v8)... Once I installed the Chameleon EFI for AMD K10, things were MUCH better. I don't know if that'll help you with your X2, but I doubt it will hurt...

Zephyroth 10.5.1 worked on my Phenom because it doesn't have or use EFI v8...

I can tell you this: The "stall" after "ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure" has little or nothing to do with your firewire ports. The bootloader is doing MANY other things after that message is displayed. Probably doesn't have anything to do with your USB ports either - it's most likely a general LACK of support for the chipset.

You might try one of the Zephyroth releases or leo4all... Or, try installing to an external hard drive.

• 1 year later...

You guys should try Kalyway release.. i know that this is not the time for the response... but still.. look at my signature and you'll get the idea..

• 8 months later...
I've been out of the osx86 scene for awhile now. mainly due to lack of hardware. I've been stuck with an athlon xp for over a year now, but I just got a new system with a Phenom X4 so I figured i'd give osx86 a shot.

i downloaded zeph's 10.5.1 release and installed a pata hard drive.

Used "-v -f -legacy" as boot options. I had to use a USB mouse and keyboard... but besides those issues the install went perfect. I have an amd system running osx with 4 cores detected and running.

I have leopard 10.5.1 running on

AMD Phenom 9550

780g AMD chipset (no sata or ps/2)

ATI HD 3200 (i haven't tried to run this in anything more than vesa so far)

Wireless usb WUSB54Gv4 (simple guides for this are all over)

I expected alot more work then this. Its crazy to see how much progress was made by the community in about a years time. Seriously this was shocked me. I have to say the osx86 community is amazing.

Will this work on mine?

Amd Phenom X4 9750 2.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

Amd 780G chipset

8 GB Ram

Ati radeon HD 4650 & 3200