Dual booting Vista and Leopard.

8 posts in this topic

Basically I have 3 hard drives and on my primary hard drive, I have Vista already installed but then I have an empty hard drive that I plan to be installing Leopard on.

Can i just simply install Leopard on the empty hard drive through booting from the DVD and installing it and then booting back into Vista by repairing the Vista bootloader and then using EasyBCD to add an entry to boot into Leopard?

What I have installed and working is Vista on my main HDD and os x 10.5.2 on my secondary. In bios I can do (esc) to go to boot options. By default if left alone my machine will boot to Vista. But if I want to boot to OSX I can press esc during bios and choose second HDD

so i've set up the bootloaders properly but now i get the HFS+ partition error now :( but i've repaired it with EasyBCD :(

okay, after a bti of digging up i've found

Method 2)

If you have Leopard installed on Partition 1 and Vista on Partition 2, there are to fix available :

a.) The quick and painless one:

All you have to do is re-flag the OS X partition as active.

Grab your Leopard install DVD and boot it with the -s flag to login in user mode.

From there type the following:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1

quit

Now you can reboot and you shouldn't get anymore HFS+ partition error. However, this will only work if your MBR wasn't formatted by Vista or any other software like EasyBCD, GParted, etc...

If it doesn't work you will have to go to the next step.

I'd use this asap but i've got Leopard and Vista on different hard drives (Vista = Disk 0 and Leopard = Disk 2) so would it be

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk2

flag 1

quit

also tried

fdisk -u /dev/rdisk2

But neither methods work :(

I'm confuse with your explanation..and I assume you got 2 hard disk..not 2 partition..

So method below is for you to resolve the issue.

If you have Leopard installed on Disk 2 and Vista on Disk 0, Please follow this method

Use your leopard DVD..boot into it..like you gonna install once again..but the thing is..you only need to get to the terminal from the DVD of your Leo..Dont use -s mode (single mode)

If you want to enable Leopard do this:

From there type the following:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk2

p <--to display the partition list

flag 1 <--please check on this disk..if you made partition then flag the right partition..If it is none partition then just the available partition that you see. So the f 1 might be f 0 or f 2 when you have partition on disk 2(your HD)

u <-- to update the value

w <-- to write the value

y <-- to confirm the write value

q <-- quit with save mode

quit the terminal then quit the Leopard Installer..choose restart..you should have your Leopard working now..

But please be remind that your Vista wont boot after this..

Solution is..use the same method above..but change the this fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

remember to follow the method..and make sure you flag the write partiton on your Vista HD (if any)..

then after this you'll get windows bootloader error..

Insert Vista DVD..repair..now..(twice repair)then you should able to boot into Vista again..but not Leopard..if you want to make dual boot then use tboot to enable it.

This is my tutorial:

How to make Dual Boot Vista+Leopard

if you still get problem then PM me..or reply here..

I've finally got Leopard and Vista booting off 2 different hard drives.

What I did was reinstall Leopard on the 2nd disk BUT chose a different bootloader (the mbr method). I am such an idiot! Then booted back into Vista, set up EasyBCD settings and it works perfectly fine :(

Thanks a lot for the help!