Darwin Bootloader FAQ

36 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm an absolute mac newbie. Just installed kalyway 10.5.2 on an external USB HDD. It installed fine, but the darwin bootloader got installed to my primary (internal) HDD. That's fine because I used EasyBCD to add an entry for mac to the windows bootloader and now I can boot into leopard, but only from my pc. Now my question is: Can I remove darwin from my internal HDD and install it on the external USB HDD so I can boot it from any PC?

Dear all,

I have to ask your kind help for one other matter. I have clearly a problem with the boot loader because previously at booting was showing me the HFS+ Partition Error. I have made some research and used the FDISK improperly so now if I boot without the installation DVD it appears only a blank cursor on the top left corner of the screen. If I boot with the dvd it works normally.

I read among other posts this discussion here which points in the direction that I must have only for partition to have a boot loader to work (if I got it correctly) but at the moment I have 4 + the partition that Leopard creates for a total of 5.

I have attached a print out of some commands that might help (the XXXXXX replace my name).

Name of partition:

VISTA: Black one to host VISTA if necessary after fixing everything else

NEPTUNE: Kalyway 10.5.2. Just a test partition used to install retail. Can be deleted

SATURN: Partition for data. At the moment there are some few files but should host all my datas

JUPITER: Main partition with Leopard 10.5.8

My problem is: what I need to do to have the Jupiter partition working when I start the computer and a potential VISTA partition to install VISTA after that everything is working?

Many thanks for your kind help

Looking forward to hearing from you

• 2 weeks later...

I have solved my problem thanks to the help of Giorgio Multi in the Italian forum. In few words he pointed out that I should have backup the Leopard partition (I used Carbon Copy Cloner), install the backed up to the VISTA partition and then get rid off the JUPITER partition. I got rid off the JUPITER merging it with the SATURN using the follow commands

Sudo -s

password

mergePartitions "Journaled HFS+" New disk0s4 disk0s5

where disk0s4 is SATURN and disk0s5 was JUPITER

then I flagged the VISTA partition as active (renamed to SUN) using FDISK and installed the cameleon Boot loader.

Now my system works perfectly.

Hope this little post can help anyone facing such a problem

take care

• 5 months later...

Could someone describe, in a brief, SCRIPT-like form how to set up DUAL BOOT.

For example:

/dev/disk0s1 -- Os X

/dev/disk0s2 -- Linux/Debian

...from OsX as root, download Chameleon (http://chameleon.osx86.hu/file_download/39/Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin.tar.gz) and unwrap it. then as root:

cd Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin/i386

fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

cp boot /

thanks in advance !!

-jack

HI all!

I have a problem:

I have Leopard and xp in two partitions. I was using darwin bootloader and everything was perfect. My windows crashed and i had to format that partition and reinstall windows, the thing is that now i can´t boot anymore osx, even pressing f8.

I have to install some bootleader? If i have to, any recommendation?

thanks for the help really, some stuff are difficult to understand for me so i need a little help

thanks again

wiZ

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am a new member, and have never made a hackintosh. (I already have macs) However I have taken an interest in this topic. Anyway, since the new GRUB bootloader supports a selective boot to mac osx, why would it not be able to point to darwin bootloader? If it's possible, you could just simply set the timeout in darwin to 0, setting default as OSX partition and use GRUB as the device to select the boot partition. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I would like to know much more about the topic.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Dear people. I have Acronis Loader multiboot on SATA partitions (XPx64, Win7 and Snow with Chameleon loader- Darwin); Everything worked fine. I've just added extra IDE HDD formatted NTFS to computer - it is empty now no OS. Acronis loader works and boots into Win systems where this HDD is visible and read/write is OK. But when I chooze to boot into SnowL via Chameleon it freezes with black screen and cursor blinking. If I disable this new IDE HDD detection in BIOS and it is not seen anymore, everything is fine as was before, so the problem is obviously with adding this extra HDD. Please help me what could be done, please.

Thank you