pc_efi install question about startupfiletool

blither

9 posts in this topic

I would like to know if the startupfiletool that is in the pc_efi_v80 only affects the partition im on by writing files to that partition. And in no way affects my mbr or anything else on my system. Is this true?

Thanks

I would like to know if the startupfiletool that is in the pc_efi_v80 only affects the partition im on by writing files to that partition. And in no way affects my mbr or anything else on my system. Is this true?

Thanks

Startupfiletool alters your target HFS+ volume only.

Btw. you can safely install Chameleon as your fake EFI powered boot loader. It has the same features as PC_EFI + some more. Get the 1.0.11 build package.

Bye,

zef

would this startupfiletool thing stop my system from booting the /boot_v8 from grub and then loading some kext and restarting?

Could you explain your current and planned scenario as well with some hw (CPU) details pls?

im setting up a tripple boot system with xp,leopard and lfs

im using grub as the bootloader to load linux and windows, then i use the pc_efi_v8 boot_8 to load up osx but once i load that it selects the partitions and lets me find my osx one and i select it and it loads some kext and then it reboots without anything else appearing on the screen.

im on an AMD 64 3500+

i dont have problems booting into leopard from my install disk. that all loads great. just not from the bootloader...

im setting up a tripple boot system with xp,leopard and lfs

im using grub as the bootloader to load linux and windows, then i use the pc_efi_v8 boot_8 to load up osx but once i load that it selects the partitions and lets me find my osx one and i select it and it loads some kext and then it reboots without anything else appearing on the screen.

im on an AMD 64 3500+

i dont have problems booting into leopard from my install disk. that all loads great. just not from the bootloader...

Yup. PC_EFI doesn't supports AMD CPUs. I would recommend to give a try with Chameleon boot loader instead. Get the 10.0.11 build, it also supports multiboot so you can boot your system via Grub.

cool i thought i had read somewhere that it supported amd. anyway so this chameleon boot loader is just like the pc_efi in the fact that i can just copy the chainloader thing to my /boot partition?

cool i thought i had read somewhere that it supported amd. anyway so this chameleon boot loader is just like the pc_efi in the fact that i can just copy the chainloader thing to my /boot partition?

my short answer is: yes :D