About the Apple Chime Sound

8 posts in this topic

Hello guys. I searched a lot the internet to find more aobut that sound that we love of the original Macs, but i come up with nothing in my hands.

I know for sure that the sound resides in one chip inside the logic board (maybe the boot rom?) that gives of the sound a few seconds later after

the machine is powered up. If we/i can figure out what is the chip that has this sound inside, maybe we can get it as spare part, maybe in a place

where pc are being recycled. After that i think it is only a problem of finding out what is the proper tension of operation and voilà! We got the

apple chime sound in our beloved Hackintosh :P

Let me know what u think and of course if u know what is that chip let me know. I got one of these 3rd party "some sort of store" that makes

maintenance for apple related products near my house and maybe (i hope) they got a wrecked Mac that i can use with the proper instructions...

Firstly, the apple chime is hardcoded in the apple BIOS not a separate chip!

Secondly, you can get a wave or mp3 version of it and run it as art of startup script or sound event, but it then only starts up after the initial screen startup, a bit like windows startup sounds, and then looses ALL it's appeal!

SticMAN

the apple chime is hardcoded in the apple BIOS not a separate chip!

I suspected it...

Maybe i'll make you laugh... But i'll make this question anyway :hysterical:

Can this bios be removed like a pc one and implanted in some way in a self made circuit, then the audio sequence of the chime goes to the

pc speaker through the circuit?

Just asking... I thought that was possible... :thumbsdown_anim:

You can modify the bios, but that is risky and difficult and will most likely make your motherboard useless for all eternity if you make a small mistake. I strongly recommend that you don´t and no you don´t want to put an apple efi rom chip inside your motherboard. Mounting chips like these are not anything you do at home and they are 99,95% not compatible anyway.

Actually, Macs don't use BIOS, the use EFI. The sound would be embedded into the motherboard somewhere, however you're not going to be able to add something like that to your motherboard. :thumbsdown_anim:

My ASUS board has an audio POST reporter option that I can put my own sounds in to; I put in the Apple one and it works great.

Nice!!! I haven't thought of that!

I knew about that feature.... but i never used that... well, tomorrow i'll get an Asus P5E3 Premium, so i'll check if this option is available... Then i'll put it in the mb with a usb

memory stick or with the proper methos needed. What is the file feature? Does it read mp3 or wav files?

Please let me know and i'll write to you as soon as i'll get the same result :wallbash:

Thanks for letting me remember that :P