A little help (beginner)

23 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm new at this but I at least have some common sense to know what to back up and what not. I was just wondering (since every seems to install everything on a partition on just one HD) if I could install os x on a seperate HD from my vista os and boot from there (either in vista bootloader, acronis or easybcd). I haven't installed it yet because my main HD already has a partition but I luckily have a 40gb HD in store.

Version of mac os x: leo4allv3

please help me, I'm a noob at installing Os's but I can follow instructions easily, just need to know where to go from here. thanks in advance

Hi, I am having a problem doing this. It tells me Chain booting error when I try to boot Mac OS X. I look in the Windows Partition Manager and the entire disc which I devoted for the installation is not labled as a letter... Any help?

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

What I did is I cleared and formatted the hard drive into NTFS and labled it as drive G, started iAtkos v2.0, went into Disk Manager, formatted it again into Mac OS X Journaled, installed Mac OS X on it, it booted and worked great, once I restarted and booted Windows it shows up in the disk management but with no letter or label, just the size and (Healthy, Primary Partition, Active)

It is a partition all alone by itself.

Still doesn't work. But how can it work anyways if the bootmgr is linked to the chain0 file and the partition is linked to C:\ when the installation is not on C:\ and has no drive letter after it was formatted? (Into Mac OS X Journaled)

The same thing happens to me. When I try to boot using easybcd (with mac os x on a seperate drive) chain_error appears. Does any one know why it's doing that? Anyway, I'll try to experiment with the boot options.

Yes, it lets me choose between Windows Vista and Mac OS X. Vista loads fine, Mac says 'Chain boot error'.

Ok, so I checked the other forums and they said that you just need to follow the chain0 method to fix it. The trouble is in finding the ntldr file from the windows 2000 boot disk.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat...

I get chain_boot_error when I use EasyBCD.

I'm just wondering if the reason for the error is my Leopard drive is not MBR but GUID?

I have two hard drives one with Leopard (GUID) the other with Vista (MBR).

Any ideas?

Got the same error.

Went to the easybcd forums and supposedly this is a problem which hasnt been fixed yet.

So, where should I go from here?

I have Vista, XP and Ubuntu running on Easybcd, and only OS X cannot run.

Help is greatly appreciated!