Hello, atm i have a 2xraid0 setup.

On the first raid0 i have 3 partitions.

-c: NTFS with vista64

-d: NTFS (empty)

-e: NTFS (storage)

On the other raid0 i have just one partition for storage

-f: NTFS

I would like to install leopard on /d:

1. i downloaded kalway 10.5.2 leopard amd/vista (is this ok ? would the original version of leopard work aswell ? )

2. do i have to format the partition to fat32 before trying to install it or can i do it during the installation ?

3. lets say that it is installed now. Will i have problems booting in vista or in leopard, will i be able to boot in anything at this point ?

4. how to fix the double boot ? Using vista bootloader or bootcamp ? (no links please if its not with raid0 100% proofed etc)

5. will i be able to read data from leopard on all the NTFS partitions ? (i know there are problems with write i just dont know if leopard can read from ntfs by default.... ppl write different things on the internet :/)

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Post scriptum: i have read this about double boot, but i cant even open the compressed file i get an error and i cant find anything reliable on tboot :/. Ive also ready some other double boot guides but non uses raid0 so im wondering if that could be a problem. Btw i have around 2tb of HD stuff on the discs so i dont wanna be a test bunny and loose all the data, please, please,pleae write advices only if you know what you are talking about for shure.

In case this is impossible.

I have a 120gb backup disk. If i put the disk next to the 2xraid0 and install leopard on it.

1. i know i cant double boot in this case probably (or not?)

2. i can choose to boot from it from bios ?

3. will i be able to access the data from the 2xraid0 from withing the leopard on the other disc ? (in which case?)

I don't think raid is supported in osx86. So you can't install it on a raid partition. You can install on a non-raid drive, but all your raid partitions will not show in osx86.

But don't take my word for it, check the wiki to see if they got raid working.

Ok thnx for the fast reply.

So the only way to have leopard on this maschine is to install it on a separate drive and switch to ide in bios. (the raid drives are ignored)

You all agree or is there a way around

Ok thnx for the fast reply.

So the only way to have leopard on this maschine is to install it on a separate drive and switch to ide in bios. (the raid drives are ignored)

You all agree or is there a way around

Here are a couple of interesting threads.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=558611

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=511085

Because I already had Vista installed in raid0 mode and did not want to reinstall it, I have my box working in ich8r raid0 mode, but with no disks actually raided.

My understanding is you could install to this partition in a similiar way, but that you would not have have raid working. Further, your raid NTFS partitions would BOTH be visible as separate disks.

So,

I have a RAID0 setup on ICH8R, similar drive setup;

OSX86 doesn't run on ICH8R's raid mode(on PCs), it will not mount the volumes, format, or install on them.

This means that the Windows partitions and setup you have will be spared, but you will need the 120Gb drive.

I was able to get a sucessful dual boot setup with this as the final result:

RAID0(500GB) - Windows Vista under the Windows boot manager. Not modified or replaced.

SATA 160GB - OSX86(and others) under Darwin boot loader and/or grub.

Dual boot is not via a single bootloader, but via BIOS device screen.

BIOS must be switched between ACHI and RAID mode before switching OSes.

if this is acceptable on your system then:

This is how i did my dual boot(and you might too):

Disconnect(physically) the Raid drives from your machine--this is temporary and will ensure that nothing breaks.

Have the 120gb drive connected

Boot into the BIOS/Setup, and change SATA mode from RAID to either ACHI or IDE, if one fails, the other will work.

Boot off your OSX86 install disk(i used iAtkos 1.0, u can use whatever)

Format and setup the 120gb drive however you need it--if you want to share files between windows and mac, squeeze a FAT32 filesystem into the partition map when using disk util...

If you want to do boot EFI, go ahead...

before OS install, make sure ur installer either installs Darwin boot or has a utility to do it. This makes fixing stuff easy.

INSTALL...

restart and make sure OSX boots (if not, fix it...-v, -x, -f, -s are your friends)

Shutdown.

Reconnect RAID0 drives.

Reboot and change SATA mode to RAID.

boot into windows and make sure stuff works.

DONE....

So there's no loader for the two, but switching is as simple as tweaking the bios and choosing boot device to be the 120gb drive.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

So, is the consensus that trying to install Leopard on a PC which has Vista installed on RAID 0 (2 disks only) is not possible

I'm trying to see if I can avoid removing my RAID 0 partition, reinstalling Vista on 1 of the hdd, then installing Leopard on a partition of 1 of the drives.

My experience so far, is that after I create a new partition (after shrinking my volume) of about 20gigs, and go to the Leopard install, I do not see the 20 gig space listed in the Leopard install. I only see my 2 disks listed (1 as mbr and the other as unpartitioned) both show as their full space 150gigs. Also, I do not see the 20 gig unpartitioned space listed in the disk utility.

I imagine the 2nd drive listed doesn't show up as partitioned because it is masked by the raid controller.

My guess is that if I try to install on the 2nd "supposedly unpartitioned" drive that I will corrupt my raid 0 volume.

So, is the consensus that trying to install Leopard on a PC which has Vista installed on RAID 0 (2 disks only) is not possible

Well if thats the consensus, its just plain wrong.

I installed Leopard on my Dell E520 -- with Vista already installed -- in Raid0 mode ages ago.

It is however true that most distros don't support this.

Just because its possible doesn't mean its easy.

I maintain a thread of how I did it.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry510839

• 2 months later...

THis is a bit old, but I discovered something very interesting recently about ICH8R and 10.5.x

It turns out that you CAN get a better setup than the one described here for multiboot RAID windows and OSX. I've altered mine to do it.

It still requires a separate disk for OSX, sorry, but it means you can use a single loader and never touch BIOS to switch/boot.

Basically,

Using Leopard 10.5 or greater, install to the disk allocated to OSX, as you normally should. I suggest you disconnect the RAID volume for safety. While you may need to boot into AHCI/IDE mode for install, we'll fix that soon. Make sure to check any boxes/install any packages for ICHx.

Now, do the first boot into OSX, still in IDE/AHCI mode.

All that needs to be done is a slight change to a AppleAHCIPort.kext

Show its package contents

find the file Info.plist and open it with a text editor

Add the following lines, exactly as they appear:

<key>ICH8RRAID</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort</string>
		<key>Chipset Name</key>
		<string>ICH8-R RAID</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AppleAHCI</string>
		<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		<string>0x28228086</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>2000</integer>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
		<key>Vendor Name</key>
		<string>Intel</string>
	</dict>

Close it up...and reboot

In RAID mode, boot in to your RAID volume. You'll need an OSX/chain loading friendly bootloader. If your on vista, the easiest is the BCD, vista's default loader(use EasyBCD). Otherwise GRUB is always good. Have the bootloader "chainload" the OSX install on the other disk. When you select osx, Darwin loader will come up, and you should be able to continue in RAID mode...this fix should work with other versions of ICH..but you'll need different device strings..

THis is a bit old, but I discovered something very interesting recently about ICH8R and 10.5.x

Yes but it seems this was posted a year ago.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=511085

And a slightly more extensive patch seems to be necessary with 10.5.3 and up.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=0#entry775003

But it remains much better than having to change mode in BIOS

• 2 weeks later...