Retail Guide with Software Update to 10.5.3

iSkylla

7 posts in this topic

I just thought I would write a quick guide instead of adding to the other ones. It's geared towards boards that are very compatible with OSX. This will give you an ultra vanilla install and will allow you to install updates from Software update without the use of scripts or anything else. Any retail disk should work, 10.5, 10.5.1, 10.5.2, and once you're done installing you can update to 10.5.3 through the software update feature.

My specs to compare:

Gigabyte P35 DS3L

Intel E2160 @ 3.0Ghz

4GB OCZ RAM

ALC888 Audio

eVGA 8800GTS 320MB Graphics

SATA DVDRW

SATA HDDs

I don't use the JMicron IDE/PATA controller because it's a piece of junk and OSX doesn't like it either. For best compatibility, use SATA.

Regarding Sleep: Sleep works for me but only if AHCI is not on. If it's on I get a Kernel Panic on wake but I haven't seen threads of this happening with anyone else so it could just be my board.

Regarding Restart/Shutdown: Restart will work with the patched 9.3.0 kernel and shutdown can be fixed with a utility but I turn it off by holding down the power button after the shutdown sequence is done.

This should work for the P35 and ICH9® based boards and probably others, too.

Graphics & Sound

I highly recommend the use of Device Properties strings, incorrectly called EFI strings, to get Graphics and Sound working. I will not rewrite what has already been written about how to create strings for hardware so that part is up to you to find that information.

Installation Procedure:

-Format drive as GUID

-Make a partition, call it Retail or anything, just make it one word

-Go to Disk Utility and get information of the disk identifier of the partition, diskXsY

-Go to efi-install.sh and edit the disk and disk identifiers to yours

-Go to terminal and run the script. cd to the directory and ./efi-install.sh

-Pop in the retail disk and in terminal type:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

open OSInstall.mpkg

-Install it to your partition that you selected and let it run, shouldn't take that long.

-Exit the installer and go back to your terminal window and type:

sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/Retail

-Run the kext-install.sh script.

-Reboot to your new install

-Connect to the internet, go to software update in the apple menu and update to 10.5.3.

-When the update is done and you reboot, the first boot after the update, you need to boot in verbose (-v) and wait until you see MACH_REBOOT, at that point, do a hard restart. Second boot should be fine and go straight to the desktop.

Once you are up and running with 10.5.3, install the drivers to whatever hardware you have.

Note: Make sure that you replace all the disk identifiers and volume names in the scripts before you run them. Again, this is a minimal install, nothing from the retail disk is taken out, just three kexts put it. You can use the vanilla SMBIOS. You can hardcode info in the SMBIOSEnabler in the info.plist.

Credits for the kexts: Kabyl. Thank you for all your hard work Kabyl.

P.S. I've left the chameleon installer in the folder for you people who support open source, its an EFI bootloader and it supports device properties and everything. I use it, it's great, it also doesn't require startupfiletool, it uses fdisk, GUID and MBR supported.

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?mvmx4p1miuy

Go to http://www.osrom.com to see the article by Kabyl on these kexts.

• 2 weeks later...

Installation Procedure:

-Format drive as GUID

Wait how did you get to format, you have not done anything, are you booting from a working install, are you booting from a retail DVD, are you booting from a hackintosh disck (kalyway)

-Make a partition, call it Retail or anything, just make it one word

-Go to Disk Utility and get information of the disk identifier of the partition, diskXsY

-Go to efi-install.sh and edit the disk and disk identifiers to yours

Again how are you getting to efi-install.sh, us this on a usb drive, spare drive, did you add it to your boot disk, is this being done from a working install and these are on your desktop, again tell us how you got to this point

-Go to terminal and run the script. cd to the directory and ./efi-install.sh

CD to what directory?

-Pop in the retail disk and in terminal type:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

open OSInstall.mpkg

ok so this makes me believe you are doing this from a working installation, but you never said how you were doing this from the beging, work if you are just writing this down for yourself, but if you want anyone to follow, you have to give a little more info

-Install it to your partition that you selected and let it run, shouldn't take that long.

-Exit the installer and go back to your terminal window and type:

sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/Retail

-Run the kext-install.sh script.

-Reboot to your new install

• 3 weeks later...