EFI_v8 and kernel help

gkjk

6 posts in this topic

Hello All, I have install XxX 10.4.11 rev 2 on an HP a1240N Pavillion 3Ghz P4 HT. After the usual bugs (USB, Sound, Resolution, Quartz and Core Image) all have been fixed and operating nicely. My next step is to activate the EFI. When I installed I chose the SSE3.EFI.MBR option for the install. My system has HPET on the board. However, when I checked it with a small app...It still shows up as a Hackintosh(if EFI is installed it would show up as Macintosh). Just a note: the install disc package for EFI_v8 is empty..zero bits) It might be installed with the kernel 8.10.1

My question is how to install EFI_v8 and is the vanilla kernal needed or recommended.

What kext packages should I add..AppleACPI? dmos? etc......

Thanks,

Just FYI, you can run EFI on your PC no problem, but not Vanilla Kernel. You need a core 2 duo based processor to run Vanilla kernel, unfortunately, (more specifically, one with ssse3)

The EFI alone, is that enough to be able to update without patches?

According to XxX's pdf for installing it says, "You only can use Apple's stock kexts with a Core 2 Duo and a mobo with intel

chipset supporting HPET, NX/XD enabled etc. So even though I have the HPET and XD enabled, I cannot use the Vanilla.

Correct?

Okay, I'm trying that no PROBLEM approach to adding the efi but it is not taking....Here is what I've done:

Downloaded the PC_EFI_v8 package to my desktop.

Opened terminal and made a directory /efi in root.

Copied contents of PC_EFI_v8 to /efi/

Verified drive address/name with disk utility.

Restarted in single user mode(-s) and typed this in

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s3 ./boot_v8

it finds the +hfs and starts does something similar to this.

HFS+ filesystem detected

Looking for 1 words free

reading 4096,4096

reading 8192,4096

Marking word 165

writing back 8192, 4096

allocated blocks 32 at start 38048

then when I reboot I check it against Geekbench.app

and it still says the EFI is not working.

Any suggestions?

It still shows up as a Hackintosh(if EFI is installed it would show up as Macintosh).

that isnt true, that has to do with the smbios.kext ( macdotnub.com)

and do yourself a favour and do a clean install with efi and vanilla kernel, otherwise you find yourself in a mass of kexts to change o not, where no one can help you out.

that isnt true, that has to do with the smbios.kext ( macdotnub.com)

and do yourself a favour and do a clean install with efi and vanilla kernel, otherwise you find yourself in a mass of kexts to change o not, where no one can help you out.

As posted above, I need a core 2 duo to install the vanilla kernel. I am somewhat confused by whom can use it and under what circumstances. My install was:

SSE3.EFI.MBR: (8.10.1 kernel)

from 'PC EFI Bootloaders' menu: -efi_v8.MBR. (Efi v8 GUID can be used instead but you

must format your disk in accordance!)

from 'Kernels and Kexts' menu: -8.10.1 Intel SSE3 (2 items). 8.11.1 can be used instead.

Might need to boot with '-legacy' flag.

-no-EFI kexts (only AppleSMBIOS.kext.Netkas)

-RecommendedPatches (all items but CPUPowerManagement_Remover)

This IS a clean install....I am just adjusting it!!! :unsure:

EFI is not working and I'm trying to fix it..

The package on the DVD

***UPDATE:

Just to let you know, I ran the mach_kernel from XxX 8.11.1EFI package on the DVD and it does work on my P4 3.0Ghz Hyper-Threading. System profiler shows it as a 2-Core 3.8Ghz P4. I verfied that it is in fact the vanilla 8.11.1 kernel. I do have to boot using the -legacy option. Now my problem is I am unable to see my DVD-RW or my DVD-rom drives and I cannot open any disk images.

I searched the forum and see that the disk image prob may be due to the System.kext ( it still is set up for the 8.10.1 kernel) and I was unable to find the proper 8.11.1 on the install dvd or by Googleing it.

Last but not least, using the AppleSMBIOS.kext from the efi_v8 download will not load---(Couldn't alloc class)

So you can use a Vanilla kernel on a non-core duo :D