Error while installing "Essential software" from the 10.4.4 install DVD

red_bull

28 posts in this topic

I have a problem. I tried to install osx from the 10.4.4 install DVD (from De.mon.oi.d)(+applied ppf). The installer runs fine but then, when it's at the point to install the "Essential software" (just after the Base installation), the installer says that it can't continue to install the essential software. and i have to reinstall osx. From the installerlog it says:"

BOMFILE ERROR2: NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY-./SYSTEM/LIBRARY/PRIVATE FRAMEWORKS/APPLE80211.FRAMEWORK/VERSIONS/A/RECOURCES/APBINARY2.DAT ."

:thumbsdown_anim:

I think this problem isn't from the DVD because a month ago, when i tried to install 10.4.3. the same thing happened. I thought it was something with the DVD so i waited until the 10.4.4 version. Now i got the same problem again.

Osx86 10.4.1+ the update worked good on my computer.

here are some details: I did a full install on blank extern HD, with diskutility (journaled).

My computer: Dell 9150, P4 (D) 840 HT. dualcore 3,2 ghz. Geforce 7800GTX.

SSE3+NX.

Anyone know what's going on? I need this so hard.

THANX

I have the same problem while installing 10.4.4. Anyone out there that has a solution? I heard that I should not use the disk ultilty to format the HD in 10.4.4 or higher. I'll try formatting it in 10.4.1 to see if it works.

I don't think that will work either. I had the same problem when i installed 10.4.3.

So this is a very rare problem???

Edit: i used the PPF as well, that should normally fix the diskutility problem.

I think the problem is something else.

Well you were right...using disk utility in 10.4.1 did not work. This is making me go insane. I used 2 different images that were already patched..one my Myzr and the out was called something like HotISO. Both failed to install on my system. I agree that it might not be the DVD but I can't think of anything else that might be causing this problem.

i have the same error...if you do a search on the forum for BomFileError 2 you will see there are quite a few posts about this problem...sadly, no one has a solution (if you do, please post). Othewise, you just sit back and wait. I went through 10 DVD's trying different versions with different disk types (+r -r rw) and still the same error.

BomFileError 2: NO such file or directory.

Install Log: File could not be written.

i have the same error...if you do a search on the forum for BomFileError 2 you will see there are quite a few posts about this problem...sadly, no one has a solution (if you do, please post). Othewise, you just sit back and wait. I went through 10 DVD's trying different versions with different disk types (+r -r rw) and still the same error.

BomFileError 2: NO such file or directory.

Install Log: File could not be written.

I looked up BomFileError 2 and did find that many others had the same problem. It seems at least 2 succeeded by changing the type DVDs they used. I tried about 3 DVD-Rs (-R +R and -RW) but they were all made by fuji. Im gonna use a different brand and see if I have any luck.

Thanks for the reply's guys.

And don't waste your bandwith with downloading different DVD images from 10.4.3 or .4, It's NOT going to work. Maybe it's a setting in the BIOS or something.

Let's put our computer details together and see if there is nothing specific that all our systems share (mine already listed).

I have also tried installing OSx86 with HyperTreading and Dual CPU disabled.

Dont bother searching for an answer on this forum...ive posted several threads for this error and no one seems to have an answer for it.

Right now i am in the process of getting the .dmg file burned by someone with a mac to make sure that my burner isnt the actual problem. so far i have used serveral different dvd formats, and no fix. So if you get a working solution post it here, otherwise ill post back to tell you if it works with another MAC burning the dmg file for me.

(Change your DVD Player) - works for me:angel:

i've the same error message when installing 10.4.4, tryinig dvds after dvds :) -(i used a sony dvd player)

now i've change to a pioneer player, and no stopping after what- so-ever.

Specs:

MSI 925X Neo (i925x chipset)

P4 640 3,2 ghz

ATI X800

2GB DDR2 dual channel eSpeed RAM

SATA Samsung SP2504C 250GB

BenQ DVD DW1640

I tried several different isos including the recent 10.4.4 Hotiso and i have the same issues. "There were errors installing the software"--"please try installing again"-- in my logs "BomFileError - cpio read error: bad file format" or "BomFileError - \blahblahblah\ - file not found"

I'm trying to install to a second partition on my SATA drive. XP is alread on a first partition. I was wondering what others are doing. Has anyone had this issue on a separate IDE drive where no other OS is?

If I reboot with the DVD and hit F8 and type "rd=disk0s2" it boots to the installation but just hangs with the apple bootscreen and crossed out circle for a coons age. Dang it!

I'm getting the patched 10.4.5 maybe it will help and trying some different RW but slowly losing my ganas.

OMGWTF - you hit the nail on the head!

I have been trying to install 10.4.3/4/5 for some time now - but never got past the:

There were errors during installation. Please Try Again.

Which apparently is Apple's way of saying:

REPLACE YOUR DVD DRIVE.

I was installing using a no-name Dual-Layer drive. I swapped it out for a Pioneer (DVDR-A05) and it installed like a charm.

Thanks OMGWTF - it wasn't the media, the ISO or process - it was the hardware.

Um... Before everyone goes out and buys new drives you might want to try just updating the drives firmware. I went to my DVD drives manufacturer website in my case Benq and found a firmware update for my drive -- DW1640. Ran the update -- a simple exe, and now all DVD isos that previously gave me errors work! :censored2: I was able to finish the installation without any problems. I recommend everyone to try this before the VMWare solution as it really is easier to just use the bootable DVD installer.

I was ready to give up but now I'm happy i stuck a it. Its amazing what a little thing like firmware can do :angel:

good point - it may not be a question of specific hardware - I just happen to have a few other PCs around that had older drives that I could quick-swap.

the message we're trying to get out here is that it may not be the image that is at fault with these specific file-copy errors - especially if the MD5 comes back fine.

Hey folks,

I had this problem too, as I have a custom computer. No matter how slow I would burn the images, they would hang at installing essentials. To get beyond this point, I followed this guide:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=7497

using alcohol 120% instead of daemon tools. It installs like a charm, and is actually quite a bit faster than the DVD. I now run the 10.4.5 amd patched system on my desktop, and have nearly worked out the remaining kinks. I hope this helps.

RF

PS. you'll have to search elsewhere on the site for the diskpart and chain0 info, but I promise it all works.

If you mean how to upgrade your drives firmware you should first find out what make and model your drive is and the current firware revision its using. You can usually see that info in device properties in windows. Or when booting up, the post screen shows you that info but it usually goes too fast to make a note. Or if you have Nero in the drive info tool it will show you the firmware revision. Or at the manufacturers website they might have a utility to read that info out. When you know that, go to your drives manufacturers web site and look for support and downloads. Usually they have a list of downloads for your model. Look for Firmware upgrades. There are ususally instructions on how to upgrade it as well as a warning about damaging your drive if done incorrectly. Download the file and do the upgrade. In my case (BenQ) there was a simple exe file which i had to run and it did the work for me. Sometimes you have make a bootable diskette with the firmware file and flash it in dos. If you get stuck try doing a google on flashing firmware or upgrading firmware. There are surely pages out there that will explain better than I can. Good luck.

i updated the firmware and tried to install it with no luck. it stil craps out half way through the install. as for trying to install it in vmare i get some error about PAE as soon as it loads the applie screen when it first boots up and then vmware shuts downs. i am totally out of ideas and really appreciate ANY help someone can give me.. PLEASE .. i am desperate! i am using a toshiba sd-r6372 DVD/ CD burner drive with 10.4.4 isntall

i updated the firmware and tried to install it with no luck. it stil craps out half way through the install. as for trying to install it in vmare i get some error about PAE as soon as it loads the applie screen when it first boots up and then vmware shuts downs. i am totally out of ideas and really appreciate ANY help someone can give me.. PLEASE .. i am desperate! i am using a toshiba sd-r6372 DVD/ CD burner drive with 10.4.4 isntall

I think that your best bet would be to try a different DVD drive.