Stuck at Blue Screen After 10.5.3 Update

13 posts in this topic

I have unsuccessfuly tried to install the 10.5.3 combo update at least 3 times now. I followed netkas method to install 10.5.2 combo update successfully and used the same method for this update. The system seems to boot normally, using -v i see nothing out of the ordinary, however once it gets to the point where the login screen should appear, it only shows a blue screen, with no mouse. The system has booted because I can access the hard drive over my network from an XP machine. I know that this was a common problem with many with the Leopard Graphics update after 10.5.2, however I never installed that update, so if the graphics update was worked into 10.5.3 i suppose the problem could be related. Along with the normal steps in netkas method (removing ACPI platform kext, and modifying the InstallAtStartup script, as well as replacing some kexts with 10.5.2 backups), i have tried replacing all graphics kexts related to GMA 950, and AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext with the functioning 10.5.2 ones, and tried replacing loginwindow.app as well. Nothing has worked so far and I have had to restore from Time Machine back to 10.5.2 each time. If anyone has solved the blue screen problem, any help would be greatly appreciated. My system is Toshiba Satellite A105-S4114, Intel Core 2 Duo, 950 GMA graphics, 2 GB RAM. OS X is 10.5.2 using EFI and vanilla kernel 9.2.0, upgraded using 10.5.2 combo upgrade and netkas method from iATKOS 1.0i 10.5.1

From my experience with a Toshiba M400 with GMA950 running Kalyway 10.5.2 and a successful update to 10.5.3 using Netkas method, I can tell you that the only extensions I had to replace with old ones for the blue screen problem were AppleIntegratedFramebuffer, IOGraphicsFamily and IONDRVSupport. None of the GMA950 extensions were touched by the upgrade.

Before you rebuild your system, try connecting an external monitor to see whether you can access the GUI. Alternatively you can boot with -s switch and recover your previous kexts from the backup folder via command line (I know, tedious but there's plenty of help in the forum).

If this doesn't work I can help you with making a working IntegratedFrameBuffer .

You might also need to replace the OpenGL.framework with an older working version. For me, the GMA950 always seems a bit problematic. I got the blue screen as well after updated to 10.5.3 but then I replaced the followings: AppleIntelGMA950.kext, AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin, AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle, AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and OpenGL.framework with the previously working ones, now my "Mac" works great. Not a single problem-yet. :)

I have unsuccessfuly tried to install the 10.5.3 combo update at least 3 times now. I followed netkas method to install 10.5.2 combo update successfully and used the same method for this update. The system seems to boot normally, using -v i see nothing out of the ordinary, however once it gets to the point where the login screen should appear, it only shows a blue screen, with no mouse. The system has booted because I can access the hard drive over my network from an XP machine. I know that this was a common problem with many with the Leopard Graphics update after 10.5.2, however I never installed that update, so if the graphics update was worked into 10.5.3 i suppose the problem could be related. Along with the normal steps in netkas method (removing ACPI platform kext, and modifying the InstallAtStartup script, as well as replacing some kexts with 10.5.2 backups), i have tried replacing all graphics kexts related to GMA 950, and AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext with the functioning 10.5.2 ones, and tried replacing loginwindow.app as well. Nothing has worked so far and I have had to restore from Time Machine back to 10.5.2 each time. If anyone has solved the blue screen problem, any help would be greatly appreciated. My system is Toshiba Satellite A105-S4114, Intel Core 2 Duo, 950 GMA graphics, 2 GB RAM. OS X is 10.5.2 using EFI and vanilla kernel 9.2.0, upgraded using 10.5.2 combo upgrade and netkas method from iATKOS 1.0i 10.5.1

• 1 month later...
Can someone please answer this?

Kexts are basically Drivers. You have to back up (manually or with Time Machine or another backup utility) any custom/hacked kext files you were using before upgrading to 10.5.3, they are usually found in System/Library/Extensions These are usually kext files related to video, sound, and other peripheral cards not supported natively by OSX.

An OS upgrade will sometimes replace modified and older kexts with newer versions that are incompatible with your hardware and may also add back previously deleted kexts that may have cause issues.

To reinstall kexts grab the free KextHelper here. Follow the directions provided.