ALC889a sound glitches

codylo

5 posts in this topic

I've got the 889a on my Gigabyte DS3R work out of the box with Leo4All v3 install, I'm ok with the 2-ch sound, they work's well on Apple applications such as QT. But the sound will have glitches and sometime stop during playback on applications other than Apple such as VLC player, MPlayer and Realplayer. Is there any workaround for such issue ? The applications are the most update one.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you've solved your problem, codylo, but since I'm using a similar board with the same chipset for audio, I'm surprised to hear you're having issues. The only thing I can think of is that you might not have exactly what I have (driver-wise) installed. I use VLC all the time and almost never have issues as long as the files are good. I even use it to play MP3s a lot (so that iTunes doesn't get involved and add stuff to my "library" that I might never want to play again). I'm sure there may be better options out there, but VLC is just a good "play-all" default for so many files that it just keeps things simple.

Anyway, the following is in my current signature, but you never know when that might change and it doesn't show in "lo-fi" mode... the files that worked for 10.5.2 seem to work well with 10.5.3: alc889a (AppleHDA and ALCinject kexts) drivers using pcwiz's OSx86 Tools to get sound working (nice work, pcwiz!)

If I were you, and the previous solution didn't solve your issues, I'd try re-installing those, just to see if that helps anything. If it doesn't maybe you just have a faulty chipset on your motherboard?

Hope that helps (you or anyone else)

• 2 months later...

I have tried some of the solution found here such as installing drivers pack for the Gigabyte P35-DS3R board, change the idlehalt parameters but it didn't help. Now the problem have solved by installing Kalyway 10.5.2 and the sound card works perfectly right out of the box...