HP m9040n Install Failing

Kurto2021

10 posts in this topic

I have Kalyway 10.5.2 and have attempted several different ways to install. To date, I have been unsuccessful. I've typed in F8 and tried a multitude of switch options, but none have worked.

I'll try to keep the syntax correct below along with proper spacing. As an FYI, I'm currently running Windows Vista on a RAID config on two separate SATA drives. I then have yet another SATA drive that I'm attempting to load the Mac OS.

Here is the syntax. Note: When I put in parantheses and all upper case, that's not part of the syntax - I just got tired of typing! Picture at bottom of text for more reference.

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 15728 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

Extension "com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi compo

nents; use only one style.

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23

ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

Extension "com.apple.driver.ApplePCIConfigurator" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi compo

nents; use only one style.

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x46E13D46): "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::buildCPUsPSSArray - got _PSS data for cpu index 2, but expected index\

n"@/SourceCache/IOPlatformPluginFamily/IOPlatformPluginFamily-315.0.3/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugi

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x46d27d78 : 0x12b0e1 (0x45833c 0x46d27dac 0x133285 0x0)

(MORE ALPHANUMERIC SAMPLES)

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

Kernel Loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin(3.1.5d3)@0x46e11000->0x46e1cfff

(AND THEN SOME MORE ALPHANUMERIC EXAMPLES)

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_386

Boot.jpg

hey there, I have the same computer, and have been trying to install as well, that distro, and others, I havent succeeded, but I have read enough anecdotal postings that encourage me that it'll work, but to you're specific situation, I am pretty sure I read there's a problem with the 10.5.2 kalyway disk specifically when it hangs there, and its due to the this thread, excerpt below:

http://www.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t98915.html

The problem is caused in the following file:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Info.plist

In that directory you'll also notice an Info.plist.orig

This was something I was experimenting with based on some information provided by Slice. In theory it should have been a good change but in practise it did nothing but cause crashes. I disabled it in my build process but for some reason Kalyway decided to add it and it was missed in his own testing.

The solution is difficult because you need to overwrite the Info.plist with the Info.plist.orig to restore it to working values. Obviously on a read only media this is going to be a problem. I'm hoping Kalyway provides a PPF to fix this.

anyway, I sort of gave up on the kalyway 10.5.2 disk at that point, but I will get it going, keep me posted.

Kenny

since its sat, I thought I would just go thru the kal1051 and 2 iATKs that I am still trying, and just go thru a list of settings changes, trying an external drive, I even already have gotten a install on the drive, by using another machine, but its not booting. Currently fiddling with the kalyway and it reboots at the apple screen, this is the one that worked in the past though, so Im giving it the troubleshooting time for this session.

the laptop was definitely easier.

Kenny

so after reading thru the forum all weekend, I decided to take a proactive approach and try to edit the kalyway 1052 disk as well, Im restoring my disk to a pendrive as we speak on my mac, and hopefully I will be able to edit, and still bless that thing to mount. more news as it occurs, got a report back about someone using leo4all3 to successfully get booting, but I am feeling like my problems are IDE vs SATA vs external drive based. I picked up a new virgin drive to try formatting it up if I can get the installer to boot. I used my laptop to format and install a OS X install on my internal drive which came with the machine, but I can never get it past the .com.boot. plist error.

Kenny

still missing something.

so now trying to boot an install disk off an external DVD drive, disconnected the internal dvd, only one drive [with an install of leopard from my laptop on it, doesn't boot past the apple screen], I did the above edit referred to to make a booting kalyway disk, but even after removing the mentioned plist, it still hangs at that stage of the disk, with no amount of -modifers. Nothing is working yet. Disheartened but not out for the count, my next attempts are gonna be a 10.4.10 installer and the kalyway disk preparer, but its sunday and I gotta sort it out next weekend.

Kenny

soi neither of the two disks gave me any play, both the diskprep disk, and the 10.4.10 disk reboot at the apple screen even when in -v, -x, -s etc. Very quickly, so I don't know what direction to go next, I've gotta hurry, my old g4 is on its last legs!

kenny

Currently not having any luck with any of the distros, I ordered a SATA/IDE adapter, and a PCI IDE card to try running some stuff [DVD, HD] off of that to see if it helps nudge me over whatever is causing my issues. The chameleon patch didn't help, it still hangs at the Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_386 part of the boot of the DVD. I don't understand why Im having so much trouble with this thing. Others have successfully installed. If anybody with a m9040n/g33/C2Q has a specific success story [bios/ditro/settings=install] I would love to hear.

Kenny

The current situation with this machine, is due to me updating the bios when I bought the thing from 5.07 to 5.13, I can't get any of the installer disks out there to launch past the appleboot screen, no installer stage, or nothing. Others with the same model number have reported back the same issue. it worked with the earlier bios, it doesn't work now. My options at this point are:

1. wait until enough people have the problem, that some sort of resolution arises, that could be never.

2. try to get the bios flashed downgraded, but thats been difficult, the places here in brooklyn I called act like I have two heads when I explain my situation. - find an alternate bios/HP updates the bios again, and fixes everything [not likely]

3. buy a compatible MB that is usable with all the internals available__ Micro-ATX: 9.6 in X 9.6 in /100% compatilbilty [any suggestions?]

so I decided I will give this a month, and research my motherboard purchase, and if no other solution has moved to the front of the line by then, make the purchase.

Frankly I was trying really hard to get a pre-built working for a reason [my intimidation in building everything from scratch]

but I sure am past that in the manhours spent.

Kenny

Quick update to this thread: I chatted again today with tech support and they totally are sending a fedex guy to my house tomorrow to pick it up and take it to the shop where they are going to downgrade this thing free of charge - so at least I will back to what I know is a working configuration.

Kenny