run leopard off a 8/16GB flash drive

grreeaatt

19 posts in this topic

would it be possible to boot leopard from an 8 or 16GB flash drive which would have a much faster read/write time and so the boot times would be tiny. The internal hard drive could be used to store your data on it.

the reason for this would be security. If you take the flash drive with you everywhere, then your files are safe - very few people (im the only person i know!) would be able to retrive that data off it, thus - secure!

if there are any guides/tutorials, i'd love to know!

it is possible to bott of USB yes, however just because its flash doesn't mean its faster. most small flash devices (8-16G) 'thumb' pr 'pen' drives are quite a bit slower than a real drive.

so plug the drive in before you boot off your dvd to install leopard. when it comes time to install leopard, just choose your USB stick drive as your destination in the standard installer.

so plug the drive in before you boot off your dvd to install leopard. when it comes time to install leopard, just choose your USB stick drive as your destination in the standard installer.

oh right, ok, thats makes sense

• 4 months later...

Great to hear that it works!

I have decided to use a extra 80GB drive that originally came out of an Apple for this same purpose.

I'm running it in a 2,5" enclosure that has USB and eSATA connectors, this way(with a bit of careful planning) I am able to boot from it and it's quite fast, but also having most of the kexts for any of my machines installed on it, it configures itself, like WindBlows plug and play!

The eSATA connector allows me to hotplug it to my G5-Mod via a JMicron controller and work on my data at 3.0GB/s!

So I win all the way!!

StiCMAN

• 6 months later...
The eSATA connector allows me to hotplug it to my G5-Mod via a JMicron controller and work on my data at 3.0GB/s!

Actually, It doesn't..... That is how fast the speed goes between your computer and the drive.... The drive can only go as fast as it can read or right off of the spindle. So you wont get nearly 3.0GB/s... You will however get faster access than USB 2.

• 2 weeks later...

For a while, I have been using a Kingston Datatraveler to boot Leo, and I have to say it is incredibly, painfully slow.

It isn't a matter of power (Although the Dell Optiplex 745s that I use say that they run at 3.4 GHz, I suspect they're overclocked); rather, the read/write speed of USB is much slower than that of an internal HD.