OpenSuSE 11.0 RC1 Available!

10 posts in this topic

The Release Candidate is a major step of any Linux distribution/software development.

OpenSUSE 11 RC1 hasn't been officially announced yet, but I found it in this mirror:

http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse/distribution/11.0-RC1/iso/

You might find it in other mirrors as well.

I am downloading the i386 DVD iso with bittorrent: very fast.

A lot faster. Honestly. Especially the package management.

Excellent! I really liked 10.3 (especially YaST), but what drove me away was the package management since Novell couldn't make up their minds about what backend to use for it. Glad to see it's getting sorted out. If 11.0 blows me away (in the good way), then I may have to start recommending it for new users. But I'm getting low on CDs and I suspect Comcast will start capping d/ls (I've been sucking up a lot of bandwidth this month :D ), so I'll wait until the final release comes out.

For comparision, how fast is YaST's package management speed compared to others like yum and apt-get?

Excellent! I really liked 10.3 (especially YaST), but what drove me away was the package management since Novell couldn't make up their minds about what backend to use for it. Glad to see it's getting sorted out. If 11.0 blows me away (in the good way), then I may have to start recommending it for new users. But I'm getting low on CDs and I suspect Comcast will start capping d/ls (I've been sucking up a lot of bandwidth this month :) ), so I'll wait until the final release comes out.

For comparision, how fast is YaST's package management speed compared to others like yum and apt-get?

Its faster than Yum and devs on the forums say that its faster or at least equal to apt-get and don't forget yast supports delta rpms as well something that synaptic doesn't so that should speed things up as well.

In other words its lightning fast......... :P

Even the installation from the media if faster:

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3385