Leopard freezes on heavy disk/CPU use

16 posts in this topic

can anyone help me, i'm running leopard 10.5.2 on my Athlon X2 6400+ with an IDE 200gb HDD and nForce5 chipset, and everytime i try doing something that uses the disk in a heavy way, like unpacking a big rar file or multiple rar files it freezes after 2 or 3 min... tried various kexts for my IDE HDD but doesn't solve nothing...

any ideas?! ;)

I guess I have the same problem.

If I start an aplication that causes heavy disk traffic like timemachine or the migration assistent (I want to use a timemachine backup from my MacBook to get everything at once, I hope this is possible), the programm starts but after a few seconds the programm freezes and the mouse cursor jumps across the screen :)

Difference: I have an Intel CPU.

i use:

ATKOS 2.0i and NVinstallerV.41

DualCorePentiumD 805

1GB DDR2 SD Ram 533

Chipset VIA 82C327 rev 0

I probably forgot to mention, that I only get problems with harddrives atached via usb.

Do I need a mainboard driver or something like that?

Please help me, I googeled fpr hours but didn't find anything helpful ;):P:P

same here on AMD x64

plan on testig various kernels.. will update if i find anything

no change with variosu kernels, freezing occurs on large IO operations par2 checks / unrar etc... on ide disks or sata disks with volumes in the 2GB+ size.

cpus=1 > no change

BIOS settings checked > no change

yes i got 4GB of ram, what do you mean "use AHCI" what don't know what you mean! :Doh, i got it, pardon the ignorance... but i got a nForce5 chipset... so... don't think it supports AHCIi just found out the on safe mode it doesn't happen...

I say that u get a SATA instead of IDE .. Leopard runs faster from a SATA ..well at least on my rig..when i had IDE with Leo on it it kept on freezing while unpacking big files..

• 1 month later...

i have the exact same problem, and cant find any fix for it. it makes Leopard completely unusable for me because i dont know when it will freeze next. i first tried IDE and had the problem, so i tried SATA instead, same problem though. different kernels dont fix it, i tried to update using the Zephyroth Software Update thing for AMD machines, but as soon as its done downloading the 10.5.4 Combo Updater.pkg it freezes up yet again, so i cant even update to see if that fixes the problem. do any of you have any tips for me on how to get this working? im running the M2N32-SLI Deluxe with a AMD 6000+ X2 and 4 GB ram. i have both a 500 GB IDE and a 400 GB SATA. ive had freeze problems so far while unraring files, transfering a 3.5 GB file over the built in wifi over my home network, installing windows XP in vmware, and the software update.

Tried copying a disc to a disc image today and this happens here :D Anyone have any ideas?

Are you keeping an eye on your CPU temperature? Mine would shut down if it got too hot. I had to find an older version of Temperature Monitor (version 4.5) and that showed me how easily I overheated. The solution was easy. After I started up, I briefly put my laptop to sleep, and then Leopard seemed to take over fan control from the BIOS settings. This may not solve your problem, but it's a good idea to keep an eye on your CPU temp.

well it seems like i found my solution... though not one i like. i tried a few kernel flags and kept trying to unpack this 37-part RAR. everytime it would get to part 15 and freeze up my computer. i tried typing speedstepkernel, cpus=1, maxmem=2048. and finally that last command let me unpack all 37 parts. its nice that i found the solution, but i'd really like to use my 4 GB of ram instead of sacrificing 50% of it just so it wont freeze. maybe i'll try going with maxmem=3072

EDIT: so the sweet spot seems to be maxmem=3328, which is only .75 GB from my 4 GB mark. i remembered that 32-bit editions of Windows can only see/use 3.25 GB of ram. so i tried 3328 which is 3.25 GB, i also tried 3.5 GB but that froze. so i guess i cant use anything over 3.25 GB. not perfect, but i can live with that if it means running Leopard faster than a Mac Pro ;)