Leopard on a Skulltrail board?

patsphone2

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm new here and am looking to try putting Leopard on my new Skulltrail system. Here's what I'm working with:

Intel Skulltrail mobo(D5400XS)

2xIntel Xeon E5410 2.33GHz Quad-core procs

8GB FB-DIMMs

2xnVidia GeForce 8800GT cards

1xLG DVD-R/RW CD-R/RW Combo Drive

6xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA drives(hardware RAID-0)

I already have a large partition(1.35TB) with Vista Ultimate 64-bit installed, but I have about 500GB of unallocated space on the array. I striped the drives using the Intel RAID controller BIOS software, not from within Windows. I don't want to lose my working Vista partition if at all possible. Can I install Leopard on my unallocated space and do a dual-boot system?

I am not sure where to start, and I couldn't find any info saying whether someone has a build that will work on the Skulltrail board yet. Any help getting this project going would be appreciated.

My first concern is that you appear to have far too much money :)

secondly, have you tried just getting an osx86 DVD & seeing if the installer sees your array? that's probably your quickest & simplest test.

if not, you'll need a separate drive to install on, at least initially, then you can work on getting the array recognised & moving the install over onto the spare partition on there.

finally 6 drives in RAID 0? you're a braver man than I...

Talk about unsafe :P If one of those drives goes dead then say bye bye to all your data :) RAID1 or RAID5 (best for your config) would be much safer and secure. But in terms of OSx86, like Hagar says just pick one and try.

Believe me, I tried RAID-5, and when I can scrape together some extra cash I'm going RAID-10. When the drives were RAID-5 my write speeds were so slow it was almost silly(about 20MB/sec). In RAID-0 I get over 400MB/sec. I'll try the OSx86 disc. Thanks!Downloading Kalyway 10.5.2...hopefully I wont blow Vista up.

Have you tried RAID1? RAID 0 is way unsafe, the more drives you have the more unsafe it is. One drive dies and your data goes boom. Back up everything you have on Vista just in case, because there is a good chance that OSx86 will somehow screw Vista up, happens often. Its usually better in most cases to install OSx86 first and then Vista rather than the other way around.

I'm very aware of how RAID-0 works. I'm in the video editing business and the only way we get high enough speeds for HD video editing is RAID-0. I also back my entire array up overnight, every night to NAS. In any case, the OSX installer didn't see my RAID. I'm assuming there aren't appropriate drivers on the OSX disc for the Intel SATA/RAID controller. I'm going to attempt a firewire drive install, the Mac disk utility did see that.

Okay, so I installed to my firwire drive just fine. Mouse, keyboard, video, and network card work fine from the looks of it, but I can figure out how to get my system to boot to the firewire drive. Is there some way to get the Vista Bootloader to make it boot to that drive?

One more detail...to eliminate the whole firewire difficulty thing, I removed the drive from the firewire enclosure. It's just a standard 3.5" drive with an IDE connector. I hooked it up to the internal IDE connector and made it the primary boot device and still no joy.

Ignore that last post...I reinstalled the Kalyway 10.5.2 build on the IDE drive I just mentioned and it worked perfect. I just have to find some working GeForce 8800GT drivers. This is totally bitchin... Network card, wireless Microsoft mouse and keyboard, DVD drive work so far...haven't checked the rest yet.

So, i reinstalled Kalyway...this time around i realized there were all sorts of options under the Customize button that I needed to select. My Geforce 8800GT works now, but I had to pull one of them out. With both cards in it kept asking me to restart every time I booted into it. Still don't have audio. I have both onboard Intel HD audio as well as an X-Fi Extreme Gamer card. I know it's unlikely I'll find a driver for the X-Fi card, but does anyone have any ideas for the onboard audio? I made sure to check all of the options for audio drivers when I was installing Kalyway 10.5.2.

Hey, sorry for not getting back to you PCWiz. For some reason the forum isn't notifying me when there are responses to this thread, even though I have that option checked.

Anyways, I got the audio working using Taruga's Apple HDA Patcher 1.16, and the codec dump for my audio hardware(STAC9274D). Everything works audiowise except for mic input...which I could care less about at this point. I wouldn't use that input for video editing anyways. I'm using a BlackMagic Decklink Multibridge Pro for audio/video in-out, and it's OSX compatible. The only thing I need to get going now is the SATA RAID controller. I'll start researching that right now.