Bob Ronson

12 posts in this topic

Here are my system specs:

CPU: Intel Quad Core 2.66 (Q6700)

MOBO: Intel DQ35JO

RAM: 2x 2 GB Mushkin HP2-6400

DRIVE: Seagate SATA Barracude 7200.11 500 GB

OPTICAL: Pioneer SATA 212D

I have tried booting a few different OSx86 install CDs (iAKTOS 1.01i, kalyway 10.4.6), and the bootloader always results in "com.apple.Boot.plist not found" or if I boot with -v from the boot prompt, it stops after it detects a 16550 UART (shortly after 'waiting for boot volume with UUID...').

I have also formatted that drive in a USB-SATA enclosure on my MacBook Pro, installed the EFIv8 patch, installed retail Leopard, applied 10.5.2 update, post patch for new/modded kexts, no boot.

The OSx86 CDs will get to the bootloader, but that's about it. The formatted and patched SATA HD is not recognized by the system as a bootable drive.

I'm pretty sure that problem(s) lie within the BIOS, since the drive seems fine, and the OSx86 CDs actually boots (well it gets to the Darwin bootloader), but doesn't finish loading. I've read elsewhere that the 'com.apple.Boot.plist' issues can be an unsupported IDE controller, but I'm using SATA hard drive and DVD drive.

I've tried tweaking some of the BIOS settings, including

1) enabling/disabling UEFI Boot option

2) setting SATA drives as "IDE" and "AHCI"

At this point, I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Any suggestions? I'm considering trying an IDE hard drive, but I'm not sure if that really matters at this point.

I tried with an IDE hard drive, it will not boot either. It looks like this motherboard is just not going to work. My next step is to try and get a PCI/E SATA controller and see if that helps. It might be time to try a different mobo too.

I had a Intel DG31PR with 1x 2GB APOGEE DDR2-800MHz RAM and a 2.4 Core Duo CPU

Installed Kalyway 10.5.1, Updated to 10.5.2, Patched sound, Installed a Realtek Gigabit NIC and loaded the driver.

Had no issues, worked perfect.

Needed the board and CPU for another project.

Installed a DQ35JO board and (temporary) a 2GHz Celeron with 2x 2GB APOGEE DD2-800MHz RAM.

Booting off the same drive (a 320GB Seagate) all seemed fine except for sound.

Got that working and then did a System Update. (Should have waited to make sure the new stuff is stable first)

I get a LOT of crashes now.

I will now first attempt to backup my data (haven't configure TimeMachine yet) and then try to re-lead on the DQ35JO board.

Will post my results here later.

I tried doing latest bios updates, swopping various pieces of hardware between the 3 (desktop) machines that I have and have come to the conclusion that the Q35 chipset it a no-go at this stage.

Like I said before, I prepped with a DG31PR and swopping with the DG35JO it all seamed fine (without re-loading). I noticed today that I cant get it to boot off the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD, it doesn't recognize my LG DVD Writer at all once booted, frequent crashes etc.

Various parties on the net also felt that the Q35 chipset is not viable for Leopard (yet).

I will install a older Intel DQ965GF now, according to some claims this appears to be a very stable bord for Leopard.

I would suggest you to:

Update to the latest BIOS (go to intel and download the lastest ISO, if you don't have any OS)

In the BIOS:

1. check if the sata0 is for your harddisk, just make sure that your DVD-Writer is not the first SATA device (I read this in forum). For me, the first is the HD, the fifth is DVD-RW;

2. set the SATA mode to "IDE", Do NOT use "AHCI", otherwise infinite "com.apple.Boot.plist" looping;

3. Do not set "USB BOOT" under Boot option

Good Luck! :hysterical: Oh BTW, I am using kalway 10.5.2 DVD

My configuration is:

ntel Q9300

Intel G33TLM

8GB Corsair DDR2-800

250G + 500G Seagate HDD (same as yours)

SATA DVD-RW (same as yours)

ATI HD3650

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I still cannot, with any distribution I've tried, get past the "com.apple.Boot.plist not found" error. This is just booting from the DVD.

As per fatchocobo, I tried the BIOS settings he mentioned, I still cannot any further. I had another system lying around (ASUS P5AD2-E w/ P4 3.4 GHz), and with the same DVD ROM and HD, was able to install the OS.

It appears to clearly be something with this motherboard. The southbridge, ICH9R, seems to work on other mobos. It might be a BIOS setting that is not supported with this board, or just something weird about this config. I'm trying to get a PCI/E SATA controller to plug in and try, just to see. Otherwise, this mobo is going back to the store, and I'll try an ASUS or Gigabyte.

FYI, I am able to boot Gparted, and format the HD, etc. Looks like some kind of incompatibility with the SATA controller and the OS X kexts.

If I can get a PCI SATA controller to try, I'll post my results.

• 4 weeks later...
Even with a PCI SATA controller, I get the same results (com.apple.Boot.plist not found). I'm trying a new motherboard on Monday. Sheesh.

Hi,

Maybe it is too late. You may have return your motherboard. But I just want to tell you that I'm able to install leopard on my PC using Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD installer. I have same motherboard but different processor. I have Intel Core 2 Duo E8200@2.66GHz. I have posted my PC spec over here. I have to set "Legacy" for "ATA/IDE Mode" in "Drive Configuration". My PC just "freeze" at bios boot logo if I set to "Native", I don't know why though. From Intel website, it just "freeze" when it try to reset ide/sata controller, if I remeber correctly.

kizwan

• 1 year later...

If you still are interested, I have the same board DQ35JO running with Snow Leopard easy install.

MOBO: DQ35JO

CPU: Q9300

Sata: Sata 0 HD Sata 1 DVD

8GB RAM

NVIDIA 8600GTS

Network and audio working.

Regards.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
If you still are interested, I have the same board DQ35JO running with Snow Leopard easy install.

MOBO: DQ35JO

CPU: Q9300

Sata: Sata 0 HD Sata 1 DVD

8GB RAM

NVIDIA 8600GTS

Network and audio working.

Regards.

I realize this post is almost exactly a year old now, but I'm experiencing somewhat similar issues with my install (using Kalyway 10.5.2) and after spending my last 3 weekends shaking my head at my computer I'm looking for any advice on the matter.

MOBO: Intel DQ35JO

Processor: Intel Q6600 (Intel Core2 Quad)

HDD: Disk0 Seagate ST3400620AS (SATA) 400GB; Disk1 Western Digital WDC WD3200KS-00PFB0 (SATA) 320GB

2GB DDR2 Memory (2x 1GB)

Optical Drive: LG HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20 (SATA)

My situation is I'm trying to dual boot, my Disk0 contains Windows XP and I want to install OSX86 on Disk1. As far as I can tell, I've done this much (DVD boots just fine, installs successfully, system reboots). I even have MacDrive for WinXP and it sees Disk1 as a Mac drive. However, I can't get OSX to boot (I've tried [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] which is from what I can determine a load of Chameleon with a GUI). I changed the BIOS from 'SATA as IDE' to 'SATA as AHCI' and experienced no change. I haven't even gotten the dreaded plist not found message yet, which could be good or bad (bad meaning my computer isn't getting to the point where that would be an issue).

Anyway, if anyone can help, especially anyone who has this board and has had some success with it *ahemRSNcough* it would be most appreciated.

Thanks!