Next step for my separate drive multibooting

16 posts in this topic

I just want a boot menu upon starting my computer to choose between OsX and Win XP. Here's what I did so far:

1. Installed XP on a first partionned SATA HD.

2. Disconnected the SATA HD

3. Connected another IDE HD

4. Installed OSX on the IDE HD (rebooted and everything went fine!!)

5 ?

Should I plug both HD, boot in the XP one by choosing it in the bios, and install EasyBCD?

Thanks you in advance for your help !

EasyBCD is a Vista utility, so that's not really an option for your setup.
You are right, I just figured it out.
Try a bootloader like Grub pehaps?
THe thing is that I can boot in either OS that I want right now, using the boot menu in my Gigabyte DS3L bios. It's not just as cool as having a real boot menu upon startup! I don't want to mess up.Can you tell me more about Grub ? How could I make it work on my dual os/dual hd profile ? Have you guys heard about Acronis ?..

EasyBCD is a Vista utility, so that's not really an option for your setup.

not quite true

after following instructions from this topic, i managed to get easybcd working on xp

i am multibooting xp and leo (guid) on separate drives using neogrub with pc_efi v8

mobo is same as cyberderf's - ds3l

also, this topic has all the answers and links (GUID only), i'm sure it will help.

good luck

i think the boot.gpt method is much more simple.

true, it is more simple, but it just didn't work for me. i used pc_efi instead of boot0 as well, and it was a no-go.

easybcd/neogrub method takes a little bit more time, but it is endlessly configurable. you can hide partitions and everything grub has to offer.

i started with xp and leo on separate drives, and then i added vista x64 (on the same drive as xp). it didn't break my neogrub setup.

true, it is more simple, but it just didn't work for me. i used pc_efi instead of boot0 as well, and it was a no-go.

easybcd/neogrub method takes a little bit more time, but it is endlessly configurable. you can hide partitions and everything grub has to offer.

i started with xp and leo on separate drives, and then i added vista x64 (on the same drive as xp). it didn't break my neogrub setup.

Maybe no-go cause the right file is boot0.gpt. For new users, to begin, low difficult is better, i think, but your method is good too. Anyway, the two methods are tested and worked.

i tried this method over and over, but with no success.

i wonder what i'm doing wrong.

i followed the original thread - copied boot0 to nst_mac.efi (since i'm using vista boot loader now), but when i try to boot, it goes back to bootmenu.

the tutorial very clearly states i should use boot0 file and rename it, but in "/standalone/i386" folder i found boot0.gpt file as well.

i'm puzzled. should i use that file instead of boot0?

i tried this method over and over, but with no success.

i wonder what i'm doing wrong.

i followed the original thread - copied boot0 to nst_mac.efi (since i'm using vista boot loader now), but when i try to boot, it goes back to bootmenu.

the tutorial very clearly states i should use boot0 file and rename it, but in "/standalone/i386" folder i found boot0.gpt file as well.

i'm puzzled. should i use that file instead of boot0?

Ohai Zarac! :)

You cant rename boot0, just use the boot0.gpt that already is in i386 folder.

I've edited the topic to make it more clearly.

You cant rename boot0, just use the boot0.gpt that already is in i386 folder.

ok, i just tried that one as well, but it gives me "HFS+ partition error" when booting.

since now i'm using vista to edit easybcd, i had to rename boot0.gpt to nst_mac.efi as i can't change filename or path in easybcd (it needs a file nst_mac.efi)

here's some furter info on my system:

first i installed leo on a guid partitioned hd. then, unplugged that drive and installed xp on another drive.

after connecting back the leo drive i could multiboot only by changing boot drive config in bios.

at this time i ran across macgirl's info on installing easybcd on xp, so that's what i did.

also i have created a small fat32 partition on the leo drive and placed netkas' boot_v8 file there.

in easybcd i created a neogrub entry with menu.lst which looks like this:

# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at D:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD

default 0
timeout 10

title Windows XP
find --set-root	/NTLDR
makeactive
chainloader /NTLDR

title Mac Leopard
kernel (0x81,2)/boot_v8

later on i created another primary partition on windows drive for vista x64.

so i installed vista and it recognized my easybcd settings, but now i had two boot menus: vista boot manager (options: vista and neogrub), and if i select neogrub i go to forementioned xp/mac menu.

in the end, i edited vista's boot menu to have three entries: xp, vista, and mac (using neogrub with one entry only)

vista boot menu:

There are a total of 3 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 5 seconds.
Default OS: Windows XP

Entry #1

Name:  Windows XP
BCD ID:  {ntldr}
Drive:  D:\
Bootloader Path:  \ntldr

Entry #2

Name:  Windows Vista
BCD ID:  {current}
Drive:  C:\
Bootloader Path:  \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory:  \Windows

Entry #3

Name:  Mac OS X Leopard
BCD ID:  {79cd500f-279b-11dd-9dae-000272c3125d}
Bootloader Path:  \NST\NeoGrub.mbr

Entry #3 uses neogrub, an this is its menu.lst:

#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at D:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:

kernel (0x81,2)/boot_v8

• 1 year later...
ok, i just tried that one as well, but it gives me "HFS+ partition error" when booting.

since now i'm using vista to edit easybcd, i had to rename boot0.gpt to nst_mac.efi as i can't change filename or path in easybcd (it needs a file nst_mac.efi)

here's some furter info on my system:

first i installed leo on a guid partitioned hd. then, unplugged that drive and installed xp on another drive.

after connecting back the leo drive i could multiboot only by changing boot drive config in bios.

at this time i ran across macgirl's info on installing easybcd on xp, so that's what i did.

also i have created a small fat32 partition on the leo drive and placed netkas' boot_v8 file there.

in easybcd i created a neogrub entry with menu.lst which looks like this:

#

default 0
timeout 10

title Windows XP
find --set-root	/NTLDR
makeactive
chainloader /NTLDR

title Mac Leopard
kernel (0x81,2)/boot_v8

later on i created another primary partition on windows drive for vista x64.

so i installed vista and it recognized my easybcd settings, but now i had two boot menus: vista boot manager (options: vista and neogrub), and if i select neogrub i go to forementioned xp/mac menu.

in the end, i edited vista's boot menu to have three entries: xp, vista, and mac (using neogrub with one entry only)

vista boot menu:

There are a total of 3 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 5 seconds.
Default OS: Windows XP

Entry #1

Name:  Windows XP
BCD ID:  {ntldr}
Bootloader Path:  \ntldr

Entry #2

Name:  Windows Vista
BCD ID:  {current}
Drive:  C:\
Bootloader Path:  \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory:  \Windows

Entry #3

Name:  Mac OS X Leopard
BCD ID:  {79cd500f-279b-11dd-9dae-000272c3125d}
Bootloader Path:  \NST\NeoGrub.mbr

Entry #3 uses neogrub, an this is its menu.lst:

#

kernel (0x81,2)/boot_v8

what does this mean??

kernel (0x81,2)/boot_v8[/code]

can u explain it please? cz i've been trying to set boot loader continuously in these more than a week, but there's still no well result.

i also try this thread, but i got stuck..

i dont understand the meaning of 0x81,2 ; the boot_v7 and other else...

i got to finish my final assignment at college in this mid september, then i have to fix my acer aspire 5930g so that i may do my work..

thanks

acer aspire 5930g

iAtkos v7

windows vista