Can anyone help with Windows Shares

bobbylx

7 posts in this topic

Hello all,

So I've just loaded Leo4all v2 on a dedicated machine on my home network. It's up and running just fine, minus audio which I'll fix later. My problem now is accessing shares on my windows machines in my network.

I have done a search and didn't find anything that helped. I've used google a bit but no luck there either.

Here's what's happening. My server at home is running Server 2003 and I have shares on the raid for Music, Movies and other stuff. I've tried turning off Digitally signed communications and some other tweaks I've found online but no luck.

What happens is this. When I go to Connect to Server, I can see the windows machines in my network. If I click on the Server 2003 box there's the button that says Connect As, or something similar. (sorry, doing this from memory as I am at work now)

When I click the Connect As box, I would assume I should see a user name and password box pop up. But I see nothing.

Is there something I need to change on the Mac to enable it to see and connect to a Windows network?

I can provide more detail later when I'm sitting in front of it. Thanks in advance.

Oh, by the way. It does the same thing when I try to connect to the other 3 Vista machines in my network.

Yes, you should get a password dialog.. I'm the last person to advise you, because samba hates me with a vengeance...

Have you tried entering smb://192.168.123.21/ (replace the IP, obviously) in "connect to server" ?

Thanks for the advice. I tried that method but it did not work. In the connect to server box, I typed smb://192.168.1.120, which is my server. A box then pops up saying that it needs the address in this format, ftp://, http://, smb://, and a few other options. I know 100% that I did not mistype it, and I tried numerous times.

From the finder menu bar, if I click Go>Network, I can see all of my computers listed. But when I click one of them I get a cannot connect message. Then I see the box that says Connect As. When I click that box, still nothing happens.

It's almost like there is no Samba on OS X or something. I guess I will just setup IIS on my server and ftp into it to get music off. I really wanted to keep all my music on the server and just access it via a share, but it does not look like that is going to happen.

I have kinda of the same issues, My main workstation dual boots Vista and XP, I have a share drive with all my music and movies and what not. When in Vista the OSx can see the machine but when I click on the share nothing. When the main machine is in XP, I can see the share in OSx and click and see files and play them.

The problem seems to be with Vista and Windows 2003.

Thanks. I saw another thread mention something called Sharefix, and they said that it fixed they sharing issues with other Windows machines including Windows Home Server, which is Server 2k3 based. I'm researching that right now and will post any results.

Well, nothing to report. I looked for sharefix and didn't find anything. Tried playing with a few more and finally quit. I enabled FTP on OSX and ftped in from my server and just copied a ton of music over to OSX. The only thing I really wanted was to be able to listen to my music on the Mac.