Ideas for system with support for Final Cut Studio 2....

9 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

Im trying to piece together a system that will give me excellent performance running FCP 2 pro (basically the FCS studio) since my G5 has balked and my Dell lappy will only give me 1 core :(

This is what Im looking at:

Intel Q6600 2.4 Quad

P5K SE (can anyone tell me if this board will support the quad cores natively or is their a bios hack for it - as I checked the bios thread and it has only one mention and that was a PM to the person) I really need the quad cores as I want to do the FCP render farm trick - and I know some people who are doing that with there quad cores (hackintosh's))

Nvidia 8800 GT (Is this the best option? Once again I can see some good work on the 7 series cards but not much with the 8's...)

Ram 4 gig corsair

2 sata 500 gb drives

not sure which sata dvd burner Im gonna get though - any suggestions?

Cheers!

I would go for more ram (8GB) and the 8800GT 512MB version. "Agrafuese" have made a guide for making the 8800GT work, and it seems that alot of people are having success with it. Check out http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=91755

I'm not really sure how much difference it makes for FCP whether you choose Geforce 7 or 8 actually, im not that into what rendering powers are used in FCP. Or does FCP benefit from OpenGL acceleration?

Just thought I'd let you know. I have p5k se. Havent been able to install leo yet. Get the waiting for root device message. Guess it will be allright when the sata dvd drive arrives. Since you plan to do video you should be aware that p5k se does not have firewire. I have a quad core on it now and that is working fine in win at least

the only things that aren't perfect are sleep and shutdown - sleep on SSE3 actually powers down the computer, and it won't wake up, just reboots when you turn it on, but SSE1 works fine. Shutdown sometimes shuts off the computer and sometimes just ends all processes and you need to hit the power button. Both of these issues are extremely minor in my opinion, considering 24 bit 96k PZM stereo out works perfectly via the optical port, as does multichannel.

For a relatively future-proof and very stable mobo, I think $200 is a small price to pay. I DID kinda cheap out on my proc though, knowing that eventually, I'd be buying a better one. ;)