Installed kalyway 10.5.2 on Dell Inspiron 1525

MiniBUU

13 posts in this topic

Okay, I have Dell Inspiron 1525 w/ 1.6 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, WD 320 G Sata HDD, 4Gs memory and a few other stock things. Installed Kalyway 10.5.2 cause of a few annoying problems I had with both Leo4All and the new Iatkos. Everything is running smooth for me except for the obvious problems most dell inspiron people are having and that is video (x3100) and sound (sigmatel - fixed after viewing forum but not perfect). I am having a problem with Photo Booth, it crashes right after it starts so I am wondering if anyone else had this problem and know of a fix. I think its something stupid because it did work in Leo4All. At any rate, I think I will stick with this setup until the next big chapter in Hackintosh happens, or i screw up.

P.S. no problems with wifi i hit speeds up to 700KBS in bittorrent, never tested the lan. Never ran an xbench or anything cause last time I did it scores where {censored}, due to my stock hardware before the minor change and the unchangable (stupid chip).

Thanks to everyone for their support and the devs for their releases and cant wait for more interesting things. I personally am keeping an eye on zeph and his amd releases. I think his releases are the best ever. wish he was also an intel. but then what would my poor amd machine do for fun.

• 1 month later...

Hi There!

I have basicaly the same rig as you, and am currently in the stages of getting Kalyway 10.5.2 working on my inspiron 1525.

I have the common video issues, and can only get video workign by removing the x3100 kexts form the extensions folder, but then i have no QE support and only 1024x768 res.

Can u point to the forum posts or give me any tips on how u got your running ok? I've been reading the posts by paulicat etc...but have had no luck so far. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks again,

Mylo

Hi There!

I have basicaly the same rig as you, and am currently in the stages of getting Kalyway 10.5.2 working on my inspiron 1525.

I have the common video issues, and can only get video workign by removing the x3100 kexts form the extensions folder, but then i have no QE support and only 1024x768 res.

Can u point to the forum posts or give me any tips on how u got your running ok? I've been reading the posts by paulicat etc...but have had no luck so far. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks again,

Mylo

Try here.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=71784

Thanks for the tip, but i have been milking that thread for days now with no luck. There is a post in this thread by member 'ggavalas' that i was following closely, and the only step i didn't do that he mentions os the EFI install...is this applicable for the Kalyway 10.5.2 Release that im running, or is this more to do with the BrazilMac image he was using?

Again, any help would be awesome!

THanks

Hi There!

Thanks again,

Mylo

After I upgraded to 10.5.3, I got my Intel X3100 fully working (QE/CI) by using all of the x3100 kexts and the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from the Kalyway combo update, but using the X3100FB from the old 10.5.2 install. You could also try downloading the Leopard Graphics update from the Apple site, then (using pacifist) copy all of the X3100 kexts EXCEPT for x3100FB, and copy the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

You can use kext_helper or osx86 tools to install the kexts for you if you like.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Best of luck.

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the heads up with your post about getting my X3100 working.

I'm currently downloading the combo update atm, and later on tonight i'll try the update using all the X3100 kexts except the X3100FB.

Hopefully it'll be all good as i'm hanging to ditch vista and put os x on.

I just sold my black Macbook today, so now only have my iPhone to give my an apple fix! :-)

Cheers!

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the heads up with your post about getting my X3100 working.

I'm currently downloading the combo update atm, and later on tonight i'll try the update using all the X3100 kexts except the X3100FB.

Hopefully it'll be all good as i'm hanging to ditch vista and put os x on.

I just sold my black Macbook today, so now only have my iPhone to give my an apple fix! :-)

Cheers!

Hi Mylo,

I sent you a PM, but in case you read this first or in case it can help someone else:

Your best bet is to check the HCL to see if anyone has a similar machine and see how they got it working: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...0.5.2/Portables

It looks like two other users have gotten the Dell 1525 working, one with the natit.kext and vnc, and one with the sleep trick (in sys prefs, set a hot corner to force the display to sleep. I use the bottom left. Then when you boot and get a black screen, move your mouse/trackpad all the way to the bottom left - you won't see the mouse, but keep moving it until you're sure it's in that corner. Wait a few seconds, and then move the mouse out of the corner. if all goes well, then voila you might actually see a screen! )

If that doesn't work, your best bet is to search the forum using google. Enter your search string, followed by site:insanelymac.com and it will limit your results to the site. For example:

Leopard x3100 dell Inspiron site:insanelymac.com

One other thing to check - go to "About this Mac" under the apple menu, then click on More Info, then Graphics/Displays. Copy all of the info and post it on the forum and hopefully get more help. In particular, look at the Device ID and revision ID. You might want to include one or more of those ID's in your google search.

You can also check the HCL to see if anyone has a similar machine and see how they got it working: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...0.5.2/Portables

It looks like two other users have gotten the 1525 working, one with the natit.kext and vnc, and one with the sleep trick (in sys prefs, set a hot corner to force the display to sleep. I use the bottom left. Then when you boot and get a black screen, move your mouse/trackpad all the way to the bottom left (you won't see the mouse, but keep moving it until you're sure it's in that corner.) Wait a few seconds, and then move the mouse out of the corner. if all goes well, then voila you might actually see a screen!

Don't get discouraged - it took me a few weeks and at least a dozen installs with several different systems to finally get mine humming. It still has a few tiny bugs, and the internal wireless doesn't work, but I'm really happy with it. You can do it too!!!

Feel free to PM me again if I can be more help.

Mark

Hi again,

Thanks heaps for your quick reply.

It definitely give me a few more good pointers to try out this weekend!

I have been keeping an eye on the wiki pages, and the natit.kext solution was probably the first one that I tried if i recall correctly.

I probably bungled it a bit though, as I just waded in without doing much research back then.

It might pay for me to actually go back and follow that thread to the letter and see what the result is.

I think i got a little confused with the whole EFI installation stuff, and skipped that section, which was probably the main reason for not having any success.

Ok, well I'll give it all another go this afternoon (it helps that I have 2 hard drives, and the inspiron's pretty much have a hot swappable drive bay), and i'll post any result back here so that other people can see what not to do with a dell inspiron 1525 lol :-)

Thanks again, and trust me, im not going to give up yet :-)

-Mylo

• 5 months later...

Thanks for all the hardwork, I have the sound working but no WiFi I tried to follow the instructions here but no success so far..

I also have a 1525 so what I am looking for is a patch that can make the WiFi working..any one?

• 3 months later...
Happy Holidays!

I have got my 1525 almost 100% following this tutorial. Dell Inspiron 1525

The wired ethernet doesn't work yet and I am tyring to get bluetooth to work. sleep works great, both cores too. anywho just thought I would post this link for ya cause it helped me

To get the wired ethernet working go to this link

http://www.dailyblogged.com/174/working-et...-all-hackbooks/

and install the kext from there with the help of kext helper b7 and then enjoy your wired ethernet.

To start bluetooth go to bluetooth file exchange and from there turn it on.